Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
I agree with everyone here that it would be best in OUR interests that this building be renovated. Problem is that we don't own it, and in society we can't tell people who own things what they can do with it. If it was financially satisfying, I'm sure they would have renovated it by now.....which brings the question, CAN it be renovated. I'll admit, I know very little about the building but sometimes if a place has been vacant and uncared for for too long, it can't be renovated.
I believe it was vacated fairly recently, possibly within the last year. It seems to be in good reusable condition. The parking lot on Lafayette and Second was for sale over last summer and fall. If parking was an issue then, which I'd assume it was, they should have bought that lot. There could very easily be a garage built on Second from Fort to Lafayette that would be directly attached to the Fort Shelby. I know the public doesn't get to decide these things, but we can still influence it.

Slightly off topic, but the small building that formerly housed Wala Detroit on Washington and W. Lafayette was torn down last week and now there's about 15 parking spots there. This makes the Holiday Inn Express the last building on that block.