Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Update from today. It's implied that since Moten fixed up the Ft. Shelby, he wants a free pass on this one. Getting pretty tired of the conventional wisdom that we should accept at least one historic building demolished in exchange for each one fixed up. Why can't he build a one level ramp in the lot he already has, fix up Det Saturday Night, and make money from both structures?

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ht/2265624002/

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Update from today. It's implied that since Moten fixed up the Ft. Shelby, he wants a free pass on this one. Getting pretty tired of the conventional wisdom that we should accept at least one historic building demolished in exchange for each one fixed up. Why can't he build a one level ramp in the lot he already has, fix up Det Saturday Night, and make money from both structures?

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ht/2265624002/
    Yeah, it's a ridiculous argument for Moten or anyone else to make. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the WBC developer helped push the city to demo the Lafayette Building since it was an eyesore from his structure. Absurd.

The area around the WBC drives me nuts. The Lafayette Building would undoubtedly be a beautiful, rehabbed building by now. Right across Shelby was a nice 2-3 story historic building that was demo'ed about six years ago for a parking lot by the Penobscot owner. And now, just a couple weeks ago, WaLa [[admittedly not historic) was demo'ed for a parking lot.

Could be a vibrant few blocks...now just an utter wasteland.