Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Get a Dick's Last Resort!

I think tourists [[and curious locals) would love it!

Hmm, the delicate sensibilities of our locals might not get the joke. I visited the Dick’s in San Antonio [[on their river walk) and was not in on the insult-vibe until the bartender asked, “you call that a hat? I’ve taken a dump in better looking outhouses.”

Back on my heels, I responded with an old reliable comeback, “Aren’t you that guy from high school who got caught fingering that goat?”

We got along just fine.

I had to look that up.

Dick's Last Resort

Funny concept. Anyone know why the London location closed? I would have guessed that kind of humor would catch on there.

I think it is a phenomenon whose time has come and gone [[for the most part - interestingly, the new openings are entirely in developing countries).

In the 1980s through early 2000's the craft beer movement was still very nascent and the foodie scene even moreso. In many cities you had fine dining and not-so-fine dining, but not really destination eateries. Combine that with the lingering idea that cities were dangerous and undesirable, and Hard Rock was something that was familiar, safe, and bland but still incorporated what people felt were authentic local elements.

If I recall, Dick’s had a dive-bar theme that seemed a tad too curated. Like those Bucca di Beppo places. They are like movie sets that try to be authentic but on close inspection come up short.

In Detroit we have real dive-bars and an ersatz stand-in might come off as phony.

On the other hand, visitors who would be terrified to step into The Temple Bar or Old Miami might find a Disney-Dive charming. Those Krazy Kids from Brighton or Shelby Township might come away feeling like they had a real Detroit Dive experience.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Never, ever even thought of going. That doesn’t make me a snob, just an oldish fool who would never desire to see signed toilet seats hung up and framed.

I don’t understand the concept.

It’s not like Robert Palmer or even Wally Palmer is going to be at the next table asking to use your salt shaker. What is so hard or rocking about the place?

Since I sound so crabby, can someone convince me the place was cool with killer burgers or something?
    The food was standard fast casual chain food. It is a step above a TGIFridays, but certainly not going far out of your way to find one, if you're only going for the food. They were successful in selling a brand, but the concept is well past its prime. The hook was to set up in a "cool" destination and sell Hard Rock branded t-shirts with the destination's name. It was a non-obnoxious way of telling everyone where you went for vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I had to look that up.

Dick's Last Resort

Funny concept. Anyone know why the London location closed? I would have guessed that kind of humor would catch on there.
    Isn't the same thing that Ed Debevic's did for so many years in Chicago?

Not that I believe any amount of the Ilitch's proposed Live! development will actually happen in front of Comerica Park, but HRC would be a quality tenant in that type of development.

I went to HRC a few times more than 10 years ago. It was never anything special, but for some reason it draws the out of town crowds who want to buy a t-shirt or check out the memorabilia. It is not a loss for downtown, as it will be replaced in short order with something that hopefully has better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I had to look that up.

Dick's Last Resort

The one in San Diego closed as well, sassy, if not a tad belligerent servers, was one of their trademarks.

Originally, Hard Rock Cafes were more targeted towards Americans in international locations who wanted American food. Specifically, the restaurant targeted travelers/expats who were tired of the local international cuisine, and craved for menu items from back home.

This had a stronger appeal before WiFi/smart phones, where it was tough to get information internationally on which restaurants served “American food”. Also, American cuisine has become much more widespread in Europe and elsewhere over the last few years, for better or worse.

Anyway, Hard Rock Cafe became the cool tourist restaurants with the shirts. Eventually they expanded to tourists areas here in the states. Finally, as urban downtown areas became popular again 10 to 20 years ago, Hard Rock Cafes served urban tourists a predictable meal in a redeveloping downtown... at least until locals became acclimated with the other expanding options in the city center.

Long story short, as Downtown Detroit became less of an exotic location for local suburban visitors over the last 10 years, the need for a safe and predictable restaurant has wained. Thankfully we have many more well known options now.
    Last edited by Atticus; November-29-18 at 02:39 PM.

It’s not like Robert Palmer or even Wally Palmer is going to be at the next table asking to use your salt shaker.
    At one time at the first few locations, that's exactly what might have happened. It was almost touted as a family friendly Studio 54 kind of place where one might indeed rub elbows with top name rock stars.

But as usual, greed took over and well ....

Never, ever even thought of going. That doesn’t make me a snob, just an oldish fool who would never desire to see signed toilet seats hung up and framed.

It’s not like Robert Palmer or even Wally Palmer is going to be at the next table asking to use your salt shaker. What is so hard or rocking about the place?

Since I sound so crabby, can someone convince me the place was cool with killer burgers or something?
    Their large headquarters in Orlando was built and shuttered within a couple of years,their Disney world location was always packed as a Americana type thing,but the food was blase at best.

I went one time,it was kinda cool on the things hanging on the wall aspect
    as a first time visit but not really something that compelled one to return.

Interesting enough there is a chain or franchise that is opening up what is called Fords Garage a blue oval theme with the cars hanging from the ceiling etc. $70 for 3 burgers and fries,2 beers and a sweet tea.

Same as the Hard rock,go there to see the stuff and the food is secondary it seems.

I can go see a model T at the car show and eat a nasty hot dog for $10 for the same results.

Years ago my next door neighbor took my daughter & his neice to eat @ Hard Rock. They were young kids then & probably somewhat impressed with the place. Don’t remember what they thought of the food.

I told my now in her mid 20s daughter they were closing & she said people don’t go to places like that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    Years ago my next door neighbor took my daughter & his neice to eat @ Hard Rock. They were young kids then & probably somewhat impressed with the place. Don’t remember what they thought of the food.

I told my now in her mid 20s daughter they were closing & she said people don’t go to places like that anymore.
    She's right, a long with TGI Fridays, Chili's, and Applebee's.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    She's right, a long with TGI Fridays, Chili's, and Applebee's.
    Except most [[working/middle class) Detroiters DO like Friday’s, Chili’s, and Applebee’s. The narrative surrounding food in Detroit is a prime example of a divide in taste and culture that many on all sides fail to understand and appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Except most [[working/middle class) Detroiters DO like Friday’s, Chili’s, and Applebee’s. The narrative surrounding food in Detroit is a prime example of a divide in taste and culture that many on all sides fail to understand and appreciate.
    I mean in general I think you are right, and I think it is more of a generational thing. For instance, my parents are in their mid to late 50s and they like going to those places [[among other chains) as well. So when I say she is right I am assuming she is referring to the younger generations that would prefer a more local and unique environment [[and hipsters).

Younger people generally don't eat at places like that.

And the market share for such chains is declining, no question. Of course some chains are doing better than others.

Hard Rock isn't anything like an Applebees, though. It's more a destination-type restaurant for visitors, with some vague semblance of cooking, not a highway exit chain with microwaved Sysco "food".

So many are like that...... I went to the Vortex not long ago in Atlanta --excellent burgers! A true classic rock scene. The best burger I've ever had. Yummy. I've never had any interest in the Hard Rock place. Seemed all hype and tshirts!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    ....some vague semblance of cooking!
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-30-18 at 09:55 AM.

And the market share for such chains is declining, no question. Of course some chains are doing better than others.

Hard Rock isn't anything like an Applebees, though. It's more a destination-type restaurant for visitors, with some vague semblance of cooking, not a highway exit chain with microwaved Sysco "food".
    Again, younger and older working/middle class Black Detroiters like Applebees, Chilis, Friday’s, Hard Rock, etc. It’s a destination-type restaurant for Detroiters [[from the neighborhoods) visiting downtown or the inner ring suburbs. In fact, the same could be said for working/lower-middle class people of all races. The shift away from those types of restaurants begins with middle-middle class White people.

Again, younger and older working/middle class Black Detroiters like Applebees, Chilis, Friday’s, Hard Rock, etc. It’s a destination-type restaurant for Detroiters [[from the neighborhoods) visiting downtown or the inner ring suburbs. In fact, the same could be said for working/lower-middle class people of all races. The shift away from those types of restaurants begins with middle-middle class White people.
    Many of the fast casual places have been adopting the Buffalo Wild Wings model in the past few years. They try to get people in the door by offering happy hour deals on alcoholic drinks. I think just about everybody who goes to a place like TGIF now does so because it's cheap and convenient, and not because it is "the thing to do."

But this is different from Hard Rock Cafe, because HRC is hardly ever a convenient place to get to for a local, no matter what city. Their model is geared towards touristy areas or event destinations.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    It seems that people, tourist or local, are now looking for a more authentic local take on restaurants, except, of course, Cheesecake Factory...
    Which, coincidentally, had its roots right here with Detroiter Evelyn Overton in the late 1950s. With our notorious love of cheesecake, is anyone surprised?

What's wrong with microwaved Sysco steak or fresh fishcake.....LOL!

on a related note, there's really no excuse for there not to be a Motown Records- themed restaurant here [[if nowhere else), and if it could be located next to the museum, so much the better. I wonder if their plans for expansion include that..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    on a related note, there's really no excuse for there not to be a Motown Records- themed restaurant here [[if nowhere else), and if it could be located next to the museum, so much the better. I wonder if their plans for expansion include that..
    Detroit should have had one years ago. However, wasn't there a Motown Music Cafe on the order of Hard Rock Cafe that opened in other cities but not here. Are any of those still open?

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Detroit should have had one years ago. However, wasn't there a Motown Music Cafe on the order of Hard Rock Cafe that opened in other cities but not here. Are any of those still open?
    possibly they are closed? I did a little searching.. https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...n-[[sad-to-say)

https://www.nydailynews.com/archives...ticle-1.836517
    Last edited by Hypestyles; December-03-18 at 07:16 AM.

One reason why I want Hard Rock to stay in the city is they were balsy to open in Detroit when downtown didn't have anything going for it but an ice skating rink, Ford Field, and Comerica Park. Most of the buildings surrounding Hard Rock were still boarded up. It was not part of Gilbert's portfolio.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast