Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Ah yes the Fisher Admin Bldg. Designed by Gunnar Birkerts in the 60’s. Was always explained to me that all the Spanish Mission legacy buildings were black from the soot of industrial Detroit hence the darker masonry buildings added to campus postwar.

That particular building was revolutionary at the time for a granite clad load bearing envelope and center core, thus all office space was column free and reconfigurable overtime - everyone could have access to daylight and views. Unfortunately the perimeter of the office floors is ringed with private offices.

As the oil crisis reared it’s ugly head, it became clear the singled glazed fixed envelope was extremely energy inefficient. Due to solar heat gain from the south - the building needs to be artificially cooled year round.

As a gateway to campus, it should absolutely be torn down - along with the residence quad and Ford Life Science IMHO.

The Student Union is also an absolute travesty in all ways. When/if I pay off my student loans, I would happily donate to fund a redux of Kassab Mall and a new Union.

UDM SOA ‘08
    Last edited by hybridy; November-14-18 at 10:30 PM.