Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    If it isn't accurate, then it's five years too soon. The elementaries are majority nonwhite, so districts overall will be so soon.
    Maybe [[and that's somewhat of a big maybe) Troy Schools before Novi, given that Novi Schools are over 60% white. If I were a betting man, I'd also take the over on your 5 year prognostication. As to your elementary schools claims, I'll have to check with a more reliable source.

^^ Might depend on what you include as 'white'. There is a heavy influx of Asian and Indian/Pakistani peoples out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^ Might depend on what you include as 'white'. There is a heavy influx of Asian and Indian/Pakistani peoples out there.
    Their published demographic numbers had separate categories for each.

In 2022, when they redraw the map, Michigan will likely have 13 districts. Looking at the population figures, that translates to about one rep for every 770,000 people.

Wayne County has 1.75mil people, which would be about 2.3 reps for that county. Oakland has 1.25mil people, or 1.6 reps for that county. Macomb has 0.87mil people, or 1.1 reps for that county.

In total, that is about 4 reps for all three Metro counties, and would leave 9 other reps for the rest of the state. Not saying they will draw it up that way, but they could.

Here is a real mess that won't be cleaned up for the next 5+ years
    Andy Levin, the congressman’s son, is the only one
    who has never been elected to anything.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/mem...-82.995,42.443
    Last edited by O3H; November-10-18 at 05:59 PM.

Projected US population in 2020:

435 US House Seats
    =
    749,000 population in each District

Projected Michigan pop in 2020:

749,000 pop. In each District
    =
    13.3 Congress People or 13 Seats

——-

Voting Rights Act requires 2 Majority Minority Districts which means Detroit’s population of 670,000 will have to get filleted in half to meet the VRA requirement.

Lowell’s map would essentially violate the VOA by slicing the Black population into thinner slices, thereby rendering their voices silent.

Oh, just another thought, population is not the same a voting age citizens; so, places with more children get fewer votes. That is just another reason why oldsters have an advantage.

Here's a potential solution: Make congressional districts smaller.

Historically, the number of congressional districts and representatives was increased to reflect our growing nation and expanding US population, multiplying by a factor of six from the birth of our nation until 1911. But never since then. In 1911 each member of congress represented about 200,000 people. Today, almost 750,000.

Not only does this mean our members of congress are much less in touch with the citizens they represent, it makes our government much less representational of our population.

One suggestion, to expand congress from 435 to 593 members, would according to the NY Times, "result in a more competitive landscape, with 25 percent of seats qualifying as toss-ups, compared to just 10 percent today. Many states that elect only Republicans today would elect a Democrat or at least become more competitive, and vice versa."

I like the idea. What do you think?

America Needs a Bigger House
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ives-size.html
    Last edited by bust; November-16-18 at 02:41 PM.

"What do you think?"

I think we need less government, not more. I think the parties should have NO say at all in districts. I think districts should be based on population alone with NO consideration of the individual preferences of residents. I think we need term limits to prevent dinosaurs like McConnell. I think there should be NO salary for state or federal legislators, Governors or Presidents.

Let the PEOPLE speak without their votes and voices being stacked by those who do or don't like what the people have to say.

We need to eliminate professional politicians who know how to manipulate the system to their personal agenda and financial advantage and go back to citizen politicians who speak FOR the people.
    Last edited by Meddle; November-17-18 at 05:44 AM.

Just take the money out of it .
    I don't want a citizen politician speaking for the people.
    That is exactly what a LOBBYIST does.
    If you repeat crap , over and over , people start to believe it [[propaganda)
    Funding it , with money only makes the loudest crap spread further, faster

Do you want the slickest, loudest car salesmen, representing you ?

What was once a position that people looked up to,
    involved integrity, intelligence, diplomacy, tact, etc.
    Last edited by O3H; November-18-18 at 05:56 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3