Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    If they are already in Detroit odds are that they either know Detroit has a history or they can see it as they are walking around. What is hard to see or decipher is the current flag with the seal in the middle. I would also argue that a change in design would do more for bringing awareness to the flag and history than what we are doing now. Most people don't know we have a flag...

As for design I found this one online some time ago that I think would be a nice alternative. It is simple and still conveys the history of the city without the MS Paint looking figures on it. It is also bold and could serve as a source of pride and branding much like Chicago's flag.

Attachment 36654
    Southen, I do like that design.... except that star in the middle seems redundant. Maybe "1701" or something reminiscent of a fort... to show that Detroit is the oldest major city in the USA between the Rockies and the Appalachians.

A great idea, and I'm happy to see a young man taking the initiative to push for a redesign. Take a look at Chicago, and the pride and symbolism associated with their flag--a well-designed flag can be a great thing for a city if used properly. It becomes part of the city's overall design theme, and versions of it could be ubiquitous on public vehicles, transit, and municipal buildings.

I will say, our current flag is pretty cool [[minus the seal), and I have one hanging in my place, but all it really conveys is the colonial history of our city. There is so much more to Detroit, and I think after 300 years, we can leave that colonial association out of the picture now. The flag proposed in the video is excellent in this regard in that it reflects many of the city's strengths and traits from the last 50 years. For example, the city was only a British colony for a few years, 200 years ago--do we really need a symbol of this on our flag [[in case you're wondering, it's the three golden lions in the upper right). Seems like just a blip in our history compared with its industrial prowess, music, water and civil rights history in the last hundred years.

Here's my creation, using the same colors as the current flag. The half circle is the city centre. The spokes represent the major roads from Fort to Jefferson radiating outward, a nod to the city's automotive history. The gold color is also reminiscent of the globe in the Spirit of Detroit statue. Blue for the Detroit River.

If they are already in Detroit odds are that they either know Detroit has a history or they can see it as they are walking around. What is hard to see or decipher is the current flag with the seal in the middle. I would also argue that a change in design would do more for bringing awareness to the flag and history than what we are doing now. Most people don't know we have a flag...

As for design I found this one online some time ago that I think would be a nice alternative. It is simple and still conveys the history of the city without the MS Paint looking figures on it. It is also bold and could serve as a source of pride and branding much like Chicago's flag.

Attachment 36654

You might want to consider replacing the center star with a smart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    Here's my creation, using the same colors as the current flag. The half circle is the city centre. The spokes represent the major roads from Fort to Jefferson radiating outward, a nod to the city's automotive history. The gold color is also reminiscent of the globe in the Spirit of Detroit statue. Blue for the Detroit River.

Name:  images.png
Views: 389
Size:  1.9 KB

Last edited by Honky Tonk; October-02-18 at 05:21 PM.

Japanese Naval Ensign?

Actually I just realized that my creation has a lot in common with the flag of Arizona:

I am a fan of the current flag. There is nothing like it. It tells a great story.

What if you filled in the bottom right corner with all blue, [[instead of the white) and added something in the center of the hub? Detroit cityscape outline? Spirit of Detroit?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; October-02-18 at 08:28 PM.

Cityscapes change, so unless you want to update the flag every time a new building goes up or comes down, the flag will look out of date in short order.

How's this? Maybe the inner half circle could be a bit bigger.

I like the seal. I find the two sisters on their way home from shopping at Hudsons' realizing their house is on fire touching, if anecdotal.

I like our flag, IF, it were to change , this is not a bad change .I would lose the star in the middle and put the spirit of Detroit in it's place.

Attachment 36654

Cityscapes change, so unless you want to update the flag every time a new building goes up or comes down, the flag will look out of date in short order.

How's this? Maybe the inner half circle could be a bit bigger.

Good Morning, I prefer the solid blue. I don't care for the hole in the middle of Campus Martians. I think it needs to say "Detroit" more. Could you put a solid "Spirit" in the hub center? I was also thinking, instead of the stark blue, yellow, and red, what do you think of just using 3 different shades of that green color they're using on the new buses? And yes, just a little less water and a bigger hub.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; October-03-18 at 04:43 AM.

A sad commentary on SouthEast Michigan residents is that many didn't pay attention in history or geography class while in school --- making most of the ""references"" on a flag almost mute.

In order for a flag to resonate soundly with those that see it
    -- it has to somehow capture their attention [[ and that's damn hard to do)

I clearly remember many of classmates zoning out, daydreaming, and not reading assignments given to them , regarding politics, social studies, geography, etc., etc. - How can a symbol reach even the dumb ones - ?

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    A sad commentary on SouthEast Michigan residents is that many didn't pay attention in history or geography class while in school --- making most of the ""references"" on a flag almost mute.

In order for a flag to resonate soundly with those that see it
    -- it has to somehow capture their attention [[ and that's damn hard to do)

I clearly remember many of classmates zoning out, daydreaming, and not reading assignments given to them , regarding politics, social studies, geography, etc., etc. - How can a symbol reach even the dumb ones - ?

Texting...?

Name:  detroit_flag.png
Views: 478
Size:  181.6 KB

i hope u liek my flag

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Name:  detroit_flag.png
Views: 478
Size:  181.6 KB

i hope u liek my flag
    I really wish DetroitYes had a "like" button as Facebook has........

Honestly, Detroit just needs to get the presence of the flag out there. Can we get a donation of like $10k and just give out flags to every business around town? Maryland has a crazy flag but that state loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Honestly, Detroit just needs to get the presence of the flag out there. Can we get a donation of like $10k and just give out flags to every business around town? Maryland has a crazy flag but that state loves it.
    No one wants to be like Maryland, not even Maryland.

If Kwame ever shows up on a flag, I'll buy one and burn it, publically.

Symbolism has to reach the heart and soul of people - it can be powerful

https://www.google.com/search?q=symb...w=1920&bih=938

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2