Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

There are new schools in Detroit such as Cass Tech. Supposedly that school was built with environmental challenges in mind. Why should water quality be a problem there?

The Detroit School District was chartered and supported by the state of
    Michigan. What has Governor Snyder said about this issue?

The 90th percentile for the post - 1mg phosphate per liter treatment
    in that study was 16 micrograms of lead per liter of sample. This
    is close to the EPA requirement. This was probably the consideration
    for the amount of phosphate to be added.

HOWEVER...it is true that at least one sample being looked at in that
    study had a problematic amount of lead in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Or backpacks. We carried our books loose.
    Some people carried them with a belt around the books cinched tight.

Amazing that they discover this problem with the water just days before the start of the school year.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    we used to roll balls of mercury around,now they find a broken one and they cordon off an entire city block.

Yep.

Dentists that have no conscience still to this day put Mercury Amalgam fillings in children's teeth [[where it gets worn away from chewing, then swallowed and absorbed into the body,...

BUT,.. a thermometer gets broken and they cordon off the entire school and call in the Hazmat teams,... lest some child get some mercury on the bottom of their shoe.

Insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Time to PAY UP for all those years of kicking the can down the road.......
    And the billions stolen from out of the water department. Money that was supposed to go to maintenance.

A guy I know has worked for the water dept for decades. He says they keep 2 sets of books.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    And the billions stolen from out of the water department. Money that was supposed to go to maintenance.

A guy I know has worked for the water dept for decades. He says they keep 2 sets of books.
    I’m sure Kwame and friends $20m overcharge of the 15 Mile water main sinkhole incident was just a one time thing.

Now you guys got every school system in the country testing thier water and installing filters.

interesting enough there are no federal,state or local laws concerning testing of school system water quality.

Here unless you have a well,no institution that provides water to the public is required to test use point.

"Hydration Stations" are being considered now.

https://wdet.org/posts/2018/09/12/87...-school-water/

^ that makes little sense because if the problem is in the pipes the only way to filter is point of use.

Toilets and hand wash should be no problem,point of use filtered drinking fountains and filtration in the kitchens.

Flush the system for 24 hours,retest if it is still an issiue,3 pack filter systems on the fountains.But that would not cost millions so it would be no fun.

^ that makes little sense because if the problem is in the pipes the only way to filter is point of use.

Toilets and hand wash should be no problem,point of use filtered drinking fountains and filtration in the kitchens.

Flush the system for 24 hours,retest if it is still an issiue,3 pack filter systems on the fountains.But that would not cost millions so it would be no fun.

Werd. And how hard is it to bring a water bottle to school with you? All the pre-k and elementary school children in the burbs do it.

Put a hydration station or two in for the athletes,.. as they are the only ones that will be drinking more than one bottle's worth during a day.

Werd. And how hard is it to bring a water bottle to school with you? All the pre-k and elementary school children in the burbs do it.
    But the kids fill them up throughout the day. Even if the kids brought in their own cups, they still need access to water.

48,000 students dumping 48,000 plastic bottles per day at a cost per bottle of 48,000 per day.

240,000 per week 960,000 per month the public is going to bear an additional cost of 960,000 per month over and above the current cost of public education.

What happened to save the planet and drive a Prius?

6 million additional plastic bottles added to the dump,unnecessarily.

48,000 students dumping 48,000 plastic bottles per day at a cost per bottle of 48,000 per day.

240,000 per week 960,000 per month the public is going to bear an additional cost of 960,000 per month over and above the current cost of public education.

What happened to save the planet and drive a Prius?

6 million additional plastic bottles added to the dump,unnecessarily.

No, no, no.

You don't throw them away. You refill them at home.

I have 3-4 of them that I have refilled hundreds of times each. I take a couple to work, and have one in the car.

Also,.. you'd be surprised how little water students drink. Most go the entire day without using the drinking fountain. I never did.

Bottled water was not even invented when I went to school,I have a filtration system at the house and refill my own bottles also but when I offer to refill others for them they look at me like I had just told them the earth was round.

I stopped providing bottled water for employees,every day there would be half full bottles laying everywhere.But some will not even drink it if it is room temperature.

They say the plastic chemicals leach into the water when the bottles get hot,but somebody is making a ton of money off of it.

^^^ Plastic 'bottles' are not being used in the high schools. That would be bedlam with some bottle throwing, litter and waste!

They're using the giant inverted single-bottle water dispensers units you see in offices, etc. These come with the pointed paper cone cups holder mounted on the side of the unit.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-14-18 at 07:52 AM.

Yes, sadly many of our teens live off energy drinks and ultra high fructose liquid concoctions. I recall a teen with beginning liver problems brought on from not drinking water for years. Incredible!!

Also,.. you'd be surprised how little water students drink. Most go the entire day without using the drinking fountain. I never did.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-13-18 at 11:54 PM.

Bottled water was not even invented when I went to school,I have a filtration system at the house and refill my own bottles also but when I offer to refill others for them they look at me like I had just told them the earth was round.

I stopped providing bottled water for employees,every day there would be half full bottles laying everywhere.But some will not even drink it if it is room temperature.

They say the plastic chemicals leach into the water when the bottles get hot,but somebody is making a ton of money off of it.

The chemical they're thinking of is BPA, which will leach into the liquid when it gets over 100F or so. BUT,.. that is only found in recycle 6 or 7 or higher. Water bottles are 1, 2 or 3's. [[On the bottom of the bottle there will be a triangular recycle symbol,.. and inside that a number. Baby bottles for example MUST be 1's by law).

Makers of $15 water bottles like to advertise that they are BPA free [[so as to sell them to Millennials),.. but every water bottle in the store is BPA free.

I buy the tall Smartwater bottle every 3 years and refill it at home with my water filter. I like that one for the car as it fits my cup-holders. When it gets too wrinkled and brown I throw it out and buy another.

The endlessness of the excuses of Detroit school students and parents is hard to stomach.

Last summer there were cries they needed more money because students couldn't possibly go to school because some times the air conditioning didn't work. HUH ? How did they dio it for the thousands of years before 1960 whatever?

I went to a school for 3-4 years when I was young on the east side called The Grosse Pointe Academy. Parents forego the really good schools they have already paid for via their taxes to pay an additional $18,000 - $20,000 a year to send their children there. They don't have A/C. Never have. The students learn just fine. [[Though a couple times a year they may have shortened days if it hits 100 or something).

The chemical they're thinking of is BPA, which will leach into the liquid when it gets over 100F or so. BUT,.. that is only found in recycle 6 or 7 or higher. Water bottles are 1, 2 or 3's. [[On the bottom of the bottle there will be a triangular recycle symbol,.. and inside that a number. Baby bottles for example MUST be 1's by law).

Makers of $15 water bottles like to advertise that they are BPA free [[so as to sell them to Millennials),.. but every water bottle in the store is BPA free.

I buy the tall Smartwater bottle every 3 years and refill it at home with my water filter. I like that one for the car as it fits my cup-holders. When it gets too wrinkled and brown I throw it out and buy another.

The endlessness of the excuses of Detroit school students and parents is hard to stomach.

Last summer there were cries they needed more money because students couldn't possibly go to school because some times the air conditioning didn't work. HUH ? How did they dio it for the thousands of years before 1960 whatever?

I went to a school for 3-4 years when I was young on the east side called The Grosse Pointe Academy. Parents forego the really good schools they have already paid for via their taxes to pay an additional $18,000 - $20,000 a year to send their children there. They don't have A/C. Never have. The students learn just fine. [[Though a couple times a year they may have shortened days if it hits 100 or something).
    I knew guys who sent their kids to the Catholic schools back when I worked for the City in the 80's. They knew the kids would be properly educated and learn respect. What a concept!

Bypassing pipes in schools that have any amount of lead in
    them is a good idea. That will further reduce the lead burden
    in children, which has been going down slowly, as lead is being
    phased out where possible. It is a step in the right direction
    towards improving children's health. Kudos to the DPS
    administration for making the adjustments.

It has been pointed out that the Lead And Copper Rule should
    have had a clause requiring that school water supplies be tested
    for lead and copper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2