Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Whoa... Slow down some with the logical financial sense there K-slice. This thread was about calling for a ‘pound of flesh’, not attempting to actually point out the real problem from someone who knows how to do math...
    You not figuring the cause and effect into the math,if it takes X amount of dollars for a company to produce a product and you increase the labor costs,either the company has to cut the labor force in order to sell the item at the same price or raise the cost of the item.

Case in point,the Mc Donald’s near me used to have 5 counter workers at peak,the wage went to $15 per hour and now there is one counter worker and 4 ordering kiosks,so one gets $15 per hour the other 4 were out of a job.

What exactly was accomplished?

Did they go work at the kiosk manufacturer? No because they were made overseas.

Starbucks has fully automatic robots that look like real people in japan,no labor costs there.

Saying evil corporations and $15 per hour is easy and requires no effort ,nationwide support for bringing and supporting livable wage training and jobs back to this country,as we are reminded daily,not so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    While I don't doubt you believe what you write, this is essentially all absurd propaganda fed to you by people who are making you poorer and more dependent by the day.

Folks on EBT cards aren't driving around in new cars. They actually have high workforce participation. The people stealing from you and your children are far wealthier than you, and are distracting you with the "welfare queen" nonsense.

And it should be obvious, but not everyone can equally "pull their own weight". A single parent needs help [[and if you refuse it, you will pay going forward, trust me). Disabled folks need help. The elderly need help. You want your grandma eating cat food?

For the sake of discussion most mature people are aware that the system is there for those who really need it and have no problem with that.

It is those who abuse or take advantage of it or use it as a political leverage tool that they have problems with.

Bringing up the disabled,elderly etc is a non issue because that is what the system was designed for and to give those going through a rough patch a chance to get on thier feet.

Insanity is removing all of the chances for one to get on thier feet and then counter reacting by paying them to stay home.We have a large part and combining lack of personal responsibility,or encouragement in the process.

It is only gaming the system when we allow it by providing no other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    There are places where there simply are no jobs. Or less jobs than people of working age.

And even if people do find jobs, the pay and hours may not be enough to live on. Basic things like water/sewer and electric have doubled in many areas in the last 15 years. And gasoline? $7.50/hr and 20 hours a week doesn't pay for a lot these days.

Many [[maybe too many) employers are even doing credit checks now before hiring. If you've been having trouble and have less than a stellar credit history, you may get passed over even if you're the best candidate physically and in other areas.

'Get an education! Go to college!!'

Who's gonna pay for it? And if you don't have the smarts, having barely eeked your way through high school, colleges won't even read your application.
    Is it too insensitive to suggest to those that can’t find work here to move where the work is?

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Is it too insensitive to suggest to those that can’t find work here to move where the work is?
    Are you gonna tell your grandma to move to West Virginia to start toiling in the mines?

Are you gonna tell your grandma to move to West Virginia to start toiling in the mines?
    I will add to this......

Whose paying for the moving costs? If someone has no money, where are they getting the money for a moving company, or rented truck?

What about money for a security deposit? Most moves involve buying new window treatments [[curtains/blinds) because windows are different sizes.

Moving is not cheap.

Moreover, if grandma currently provides free childcare, but has a part-time job where she is; are you further ahead if you lose that family support and now have to pay for private daycare?

If an area is structurally economically depressed, those who can, will typically move on.

If you really want others to move, be prepared to subsidize that effort.

And yet, millions have done just that. Many autoworkers moved in from southern states for jobs in the auto plants. Many moved west for jobs there. How many have moved south for jobs at Disney or on cruise lines?

At least the bible says...

"if you don't work, you don't eat!"

Grandma is not the issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    I will add to this......

Whose paying for the moving costs? If someone has no money, where are they getting the money for a moving company, or rented truck?

What about money for a security deposit? Most moves involve buying new window treatments [[curtains/blinds) because windows are different sizes.

Moving is not cheap.

Moreover, if grandma currently provides free childcare, but has a part-time job where she is; are you further ahead if you lose that family support and now have to pay for private daycare?

If an area is structurally economically depressed, those who can, will typically move on.

If you really want others to move, be prepared to subsidize that effort.
    So they remain a burden on others here rather than seeking opportunity elsewhere? Remove the incentive to stay and you may see the motivation to move rise. Hell, wasn’t that what drove Detroit’s population in the early 20th century?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    At least the bible says...

"if you don't work, you don't eat!"
    Kindly, let's not quote Novels in this forum, unless discussing literature.

For the record, only 14% of SNAP recipients are working-age adults AND working less than 30 hours per week.

This is heavy-handed accomplish little or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    And yet, millions have done just that. Many autoworkers moved in from southern states for jobs in the auto plants. Many moved west for jobs there. How many have moved south for jobs at Disney or on cruise lines?
    Right on. Missed this post before writing my latest.

As Ted Knight once said.... "The world needs ditch diggers too.."

The best thing Trump is proposing to do is to cancel green cards and visas for anyone receiving food stamps. Also denying US citizenship for those living off the government. The USA simply needs to stop giving out free stuff to anyone showing up from around the world. As an American living legally in Colombia, I can say there is NO free government stuff here for me or anyone else. You either work or die.

RE-focus and RE-group okay.

ABLE Bodies adults means most people - NOT elderly - NOT disabled !

Those folks need a kick in the ass to get to work, perhaps hunger enables

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    RE-focus and RE-group okay.

ABLE Bodies adults means most people - NOT elderly - NOT disabled !

Those folks need a kick in the ass to get to work, perhaps hunger enables
    Did you miss this stat: For the record, only 14% of SNAP recipients are working-age adults AND working less than 30 hours per week.

Why turn the system on its head, for this small group. Moreover, what about the children/dependents of someone who is in this group.

Further, what if you subtracted anyone in this group who has been gainfully employed in the last six months [[ie. you might expect them to be willing to work and trying), so maybe your down to 7%? or less.

Not a good use of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Colombian Dan View Post
    As Ted Knight once said.... "The world needs ditch diggers too.."

The best thing Trump is proposing to do is to cancel green cards and visas for anyone receiving food stamps. Also denying US citizenship for those living off the government. The USA simply needs to stop giving out free stuff to anyone showing up from around the world. As an American living legally in Colombia, I can say there is NO free government stuff here for me or anyone else. You either work or die.
    So you want the United States to model itself after a country that very few people immigrate to, and that Canada takes refugees from [[Colombia), as opposed to a country that's widely respected with a great standard of living that Canada does not take refugees from like say Sweden or Denmark? Ok. Bizarre, illogical, retrograde, but if that's your preference, I certainly don't share it, I actually like Americans on the whole; you fled the country that already models your way of thinking. Hmmmm

The best thing Trump is proposing to do is to cancel green cards and visas for anyone receiving food stamps. Also denying US citizenship for those living off the government. The USA simply needs to stop giving out free stuff to anyone showing up from around the world.
    This is funny stuff. No irony intended, I'm sure.

Trump has an illegal immigrant wife, whose whole mooching family just got U.S. citizenship based on the fact she's the first lady, Trump got rich off exploiting illegals, now his deranged Cult wants to punish legal immigrants because they think all brown people are foreign and stealing their jobs [[but simultaneously lazy and getting "free stuff", of course).

And, yeah, "obviously" we should model ourselves on Colombia, an ultra-poor, violent, quasi-narco state with guerrilla warfare and limited democracy, where everyone middle class and higher has escaped to Miami and NYC.
    Last edited by Bham1982; August-20-18 at 07:29 PM.

I fled Detroit after a lifetime there...40+years. I came to Colombia with only $500 in my pocket, an HP laptop, 3 sets of clothes, one pair of shoes, 2 sticks of Speedstick, 3 razors, 2 cellphones, 2 toothbrushes, 2 jackets, and an idea. I worked off my laptop for 5 months to earn enough money to apply for a Colombian visa and cedula. Living here makes me appreciate the USA even more. Simon Bolivar was spot on over 200 years ago when contemplating why Latin America could never be like the USA... LATAM he said suffered from a triple yoke: Vice, Corruption and Ignorance...... I'd have to agree with Bolivar on all three....

I fled Detroit after a lifetime there...40+years. I came to Colombia with only $500 in my pocket, an HP laptop, 3 sets of clothes, one pair of shoes, 2 sticks of Speedstick, 3 razors, 2 cellphones, 2 toothbrushes, 2 jackets, and an idea. I worked off my laptop for 5 months to earn enough money to apply for a Colombian visa and cedula. Living here makes me appreciate the USA even more. Simon Bolivar was spot on over 200 years ago when contemplating why Latin America could never be like the USA... LATAM he said suffered from a triple yoke: Vice, Corruption and Ignorance...... I'd have to agree with Bolivar on all three....
    Perhaps, if in 40 years, thats all you'd managed to accumulate in the United States, you might imagine that there was a problem w/the place.

But Colombia as the solution? Bit of a reach.

Did you miss this stat: For the record, only 14% of SNAP recipients are working-age adults AND working less than 30 hours per week.

Why turn the system on its head, for this small group. Moreover, what about the children/dependents of someone who is in this group.

Further, what if you subtracted anyone in this group who has been gainfully employed in the last six months [[ie. you might expect them to be willing to work and trying), so maybe your down to 7%? or less.

Not a good use of resources.
    It doesn't have anything to do with optimizing resources or doing the math. It's to stoke outrage in the base: "They're stealing from you! All those SNAP people with new cars and cell phones better than yours!".

Perhaps, if in 40 years, thats all you'd managed to accumulate in the United States, you might imagine that there was a problem w/the place.

But Colombia as the solution? Bit of a reach.
    This is a typical liberal elite attitude. Thus the reason the Dems are finished in the USA. "I have more education, more money and more culture than you...".... good luck at the polls in November....

This is a typical liberal elite attitude. Thus the reason the Dems are finished in the USA. "I have more education, more money and more culture than you...".... good luck at the polls in November....
    You took a right turn at Albuquerque. Your bad, you missed your cue when looking for the District of Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    You took a right turn at Albuquerque. Your bad, you missed your cue when looking for the District of Columbia.
    I have to admit at being quite shocked to learn the compassionate country of Canada offers zero government assistance in providing reduced school lunches or even food assistance like we offer,you guys do not care about your children?

Outside of donation supported food banks what do people do that cannot afford to eat? Eat geese?

Hey we have great health care,our kids go to school hungry but at least if they break thier leg they get to eat in the hospital.

We spend 100 billion a year in food assistance,do you think if we followed our northern neighbors stance and canceled out the programs and applied those funds to our health care instead we would be cool in your eyes again?
    Last edited by Richard; August-21-18 at 01:40 PM.

Hey guys I have an idea...

Consider:

A. People will need to work in order to be eligible for food assistance.

B. The state will need to hire a bunch more case workers in order to administer the work requirements.

The solution? Hire all of the unemployed food assistance recipients as case workers!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I have to admit at being quite shocked to learn the compassionate country of Canada offers zero government assistance in providing reduced school lunches or even food assistance like we offer,you guys do not care about your children?

Outside of donation supported food banks what do people do that cannot afford to eat? Eat geese?

Hey we have great health care,our kids go to school hungry but at least if they break thier leg they get to eat in the hospital.

We spend 100 billion a year in food assistance,do you think if we followed our northern neighbors stance and canceled out the programs and applied those funds to our health care instead we would be cool in your eyes again?
    In a word 'No'.

First we have social assistance which we do not tie to a work requirement.

Second we have the National Child Benefit which provides low-income parents with $6,400 per year, per child, tax-free.

There's also a provincial child benefit in Ontario of $1,400 per child.

So if you're not on social assistance, you get up to $7,800 per child in Ontario.

Schools also typically have a breakfast program.

There is also subsidized daycare and before and after school recreation.

Social Assistance/welfare is on top of that, would provide something like $900 per month to a non-disabled parent with one child. Or about $10,800 per year

For a total package of over $18,000, not including public housing and/or a low-income transit pass, and health benefits.

By the way, its still to low.

Just sayin.

I couldn't fathom trying to get by on that; but beats the hell out of SNAP.

There is no lunch program, but even if there were, it wouldn't national as Education is not a federal program, its provincial.

Yes, you're still blocked, sadly, when I'm not logged in, your posts are still there and I can still hit reply.

Sometimes your BS just demands correction.

In a word 'No'.

First we have social assistance which we do not tie to a work requirement.

Second we have the National Child Benefit which provides low-income parents with $6,400 per year, per child, tax-free.

There's also a provincial child benefit in Ontario of $1,400 per child.

So if you're not on social assistance, you get up to $7,800 per child in Ontario.

Schools also typically have a breakfast program.

There is also subsidized daycare and before and after school recreation.

Social Assistance/welfare is on top of that, would provide something like $900 per month to a non-disabled parent with one child. Or about $10,800 per year

For a total package of over $18,000, not including public housing and/or a low-income transit pass, and health benefits.

By the way, its still to low.

Just sayin.

I couldn't fathom trying to get by on that; but beats the hell out of SNAP.

There is no lunch program, but even if there were, it wouldn't national as Education is not a federal program, its provincial.

Yes, you're still blocked, sadly, when I'm not logged in, your posts are still there and I can still hit reply.

Sometimes your BS just demands correction.
    Maybe they can fix that or you can just resist the urge to reply.

So what you guys do is give cash back at tax time as a credit,I am sure the recipients deposit that cash back and use it during the year for meals.

What happens if they are unemployed? Do they still receive the benefits?

You call it BS but lots out there that disagree with you.

http://www.canada-city.ca/canada-imm...essageid=23293

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/arti...ve-food-stamps

https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/th...-needy.443675/

But in Canada, despite the remarkable work of nonpro�t groups, it's estimated that only 10 to 15 per cent of children have access to school meals. And those meals are not provided by a well-funded national program, but by a patchwork of individual volunteer efforts, some provincial government funding and corporate donations.

http://www.canadianliving.com/health...on-program-now

Like I posted Canada does not have a government sponsored school lunch program,or do you need to correct the writer of that article also?

One out of six Canadian children lives in a food insecure household.

-Sasha McNicoll with Food Secure Canada

She says four million Canadians suffer from food insecurity — from skipping meals to an entire day of not eating.

"But the reality is that children — I would say more than 90 per cent of children — stay at school for lunch. And the board is not obliged to supervise these children. They will do it but, technically, they are not obliged to," Traiforos explains.

Children are supposed to go home lunch,what happens if both parents are working?

There's really no leadership in terms of what meal time should be and we're talking about very young children," she tells Galloway.
    "They sort of cram them in wherever they can … sometimes they don't even have tables and chairs."
    Traiforos says in the wintertime, children are eating in their snowsuits.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/...ates-1.4268918

You guys talk about children at our borders and that is how you treat your own.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast