Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Will try to make it and take the kids. Kind of hard this year with low funds plus back to school shopping to do. I'd hate to miss it, this possibly being the last year which is so sad. We couldn't go last year due to surgery.

Thanks, Pam. Appreciate it!!

We're looking forward to seeing the fair late this afternoon and evening. The weather sounds good, and the featured concerts with Pete Rivera [[original drummer for Rare Earth) and the Temptations Review should be fun!!

We are going next weekend...probably Saturday
    we were supposed to go yesterday but my daughter lost her mind, acted a fool and as punishment had to stay home....after I concocted that punishment I realized I was punishing myself too and that realization sucked But I decided to extend her an olive branch and if behavior improves we shall take our annual trip to the fair next weekend [[if not i am going by myself)

I won 2nd place at the potato sack race today. It was fun.

We used to go as a kid, we went to all the local county fairs, and to the State Fair. Miss those days. Dad used to go because he was a registered Angus beef farmer, and it was a great source of stock!

There is nothing like the sights and sounds and smells of the Michigan State Fair!! We spent about 5 hours there last evening...and it was quite enjoyable!!

Among the things to check out...

....new rides on the Midway

....the handcarved wooden Motorcycle Hobby Horse in the Community Arts building...also the kid-designed shoebox parade floats highlighting such Detroit icons as Better Made Potato Chips and Faygo. The Community Arts exhibits are interesting and, in some cases, awesome!

...the daily parade at 6:30

...Burr's fresh French Fries...so yummy!! The Burr family has been at the MSF for more than 50 years.

...the free concerts in the Band Shell. We saw Peter Rivera [[original member of Rare Earth; he is the drummer and "voice") and The Temptations Review. Upcoming acts include Starship and Survivor.

...and so much more!

And please stop by an Infairmation booth to sign the petition in support of keeping the Michigan State Fair happening!!

Woo-hoo!! Sold one of my photographs!! That's a good feeling!!!

Now on to business...
    "Despite rules forbidding political rallies at the Michigan State Fair, on Wednesday the former fair director called for a rally there at noon Saturday to protest state budget cuts that could end the event's 160-year run after this year."

Steve Jenkins of Lapeer, who resigned as manager in February, said he hoped people would come to hear "area legislators and others talk about ways to keep this precious gem" at Woodward and 8 Mile in Detroit.

Jenkins said his replacement, former Ferndale Mayor Robert Porter, told him that rules ban political rallies at the state fair but indicated that "there'd be somewhere we can gather -- probably at the band shell."

Porter would not confirm or deny that he'd allow the rally, but he noted that Michigan agriculture has become even more important to the state's economy with the decline of auto and other manufacturing.

"I'd encourage people to rally with your feet and gate passes," he said."

http://www.freep.com/article/2009090...ave-State-Fair

We went the other day and, not surprisingly, it was awesome. You can read my thoughts on our trip to the fair here: http://bit.ly/1WaooD and here: http://bit.ly/338e01

Do yourself a favor and check it out, even if it's not the last time, support Michigan and go to the state fair.

I'll be there Sunday, after church.

My hubby and I took our grandson to the fair yesterday. The place was packed with families having a great time. It was clean, the food as usual was super, and the Midway Company was doing a good job, with nice well maintained rides and folks who run them not looking like Charles Manson.

Every one and I mean every one of the Fair Attendees I spoke to wanted to know where to sign the petitions to keep the fair. There were at least 6 places to sign and there were lines at all I saw.

From the French fry guy, who has been at the Fair for 51 Years to the goat farmers they all wat to know what Lansing is thinking. From the Twenties to the Seventies the State of Michigan has milked money out of the fair and not returned very much. Money was never put back into the Fairgrounds like it should have been. Even when Cobo Hall was built the Fair grounds attracked Sportsmens shows, Hod Rod meets, Classic car shows, Horse shows, Connunity events, Shows in the Collesium and the Shrine circus. The Circus was even driven out for two years because of demands by Management for extra payment.

If it ceases the State Of Michigan says they would "DEVELOP THE PROPERTY ", They will let it sit and rot, like the light guard armory on Eight Mile near Greenfield. First it will be empty building wtih busted windows and tall weeds. Second they will let it sit for eight years surrounded by cyclone fencing and barbed wire while it rots. Third they will tear it down, leaving a rutted clear cut desolute piece of land.

I agree PK - yet another abandonment of a Detroit Historical Landmark. Why provide that designation - if it means nothing. Maybe "Historical Landmark" in Detroit, means "tear me down next".

We had a great time at the fair today with my Mom, DY friends, and future Leader Dog Bailey. Bailey had many animal encounters, including a nose to nose meeting with a cow, seeing hatchling turkeys and quail, and many other sizes and fragrances of creatures.

After the Fair we drove to the infamous wall near Eight Mile and Wyoming.

Default Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches

Did anyone find the waffle ice cream sandwiches? I walked that entire fair and couldn't find them this year. I remember having it last year and the year before...yum!

Since we live in walking distance, I'll take the tyke to see the rows of "bunny hop-hops" and "birdy-heads" for the final time.
    No amount of nostalgia or petitions are going to bring back its glory days of jammed midways and crowded parking lots.
    Forty years of fond memories though; demolition derbies, Frank Sinatra Jr., Alice Cooper and sneaking in by jumping the fence into the elephant pen, "Hey man, you really stink.You smell like an elepha...aa...ant!" Or more recently, a red-eyed and swaying Puppetone Rocker belting out a hair-raising version of that family friendly song, Folsom Prison Blues, "Shot a man in Reno just to watch him die." to an astonished but appreciative audience.

Like the Boblo boats or Tiger Stadium, it was a grand melting pot of humanity from another era.

It looks what Johnny Reb, the Kaiser, Hitler and Tojo,the Red Menace and disco couldn't kill, a stroke of the pen from one of our own did.

"Not with a bang but a whinny."

Michigan State Fair, 1849-2009, R.I.P.

my great-great grandfather won a blue ribbon there for having the best team of plow horses circa 1858.

I'll spill a 40 for you.

Gnome, You make sense. I myself have been meaning to get to the fair and this year was one of them years.I think that this state has really hit the skids.With myself getting into gardening and all that, The rides , concerts, and demo derbys are not as important. In my life I never though I would hear the words 'The last State Fair". I live here and have all my life. I can be accused of not going to and supporting the Fair as I should have and could have . As for those who will attend Have a funnel cake, pet a horse and have a great time if not for yourself, for me at least.

Default Aerial of State Fair 2009

Aerial of State Fair 9-5-2009

I'm about to go, never been to the State Fair before.

I'll alert the media.

.....what?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Woo-hoo!! Sold one of my photographs!! That's a good feeling!!!

Now on to business...
    "Despite rules forbidding political rallies at the Michigan State Fair, on Wednesday the former fair director called for a rally there at noon Saturday to protest state budget cuts that could end the event's 160-year run after this year."

Steve Jenkins of Lapeer, who resigned as manager in February, said he hoped people would come to hear "area legislators and others talk about ways to keep this precious gem" at Woodward and 8 Mile in Detroit.

Jenkins said his replacement, former Ferndale Mayor Robert Porter, told him that rules ban political rallies at the state fair but indicated that "there'd be somewhere we can gather -- probably at the band shell."

Porter would not confirm or deny that he'd allow the rally, but he noted that Michigan agriculture has become even more important to the state's economy with the decline of auto and other manufacturing.

"I'd encourage people to rally with your feet and gate passes," he said."

http://www.freep.com/article/2009090...ave-State-Fair
    I checked it out this afrernoon/evening, and I have to say that I had an enjoyable time w/friends.

Discounting parking/admission/food was also a big plus [[more corn dogs & elephant ears).

Did anyone happen to catch the "petition" that was being circulated by just about...everybody at the Fair?

Someone walking by joked that it was the 'Recall Jennifer Granholm " petition for scrapping the State Fair.

I would've signed it if that's what it really was.

My son and his GF treated me to a day at the Fair yesterday! It was really enjoyable [[even in the rain). The game folks didn't stalk us, the food was great, the horses [[my fave) were spectacular, and I even got to hold a lion cub! I don't do rides so I can't comment on those. It was packed so I have hope that this won't be the last one!

It was packed so I have hope that this won't be the last one!
    I hope you are right. It seems like they could make the fair smaller to save money without totally cancelling it. Cut back on the live entertainment and focus on the agriculture and animals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2