A minor political shockwave from Tuesday was the upset win of political unknown Betty Jean Alexander who upset incumbent State Sen. David Knezek, get this, without a website, Facebook campaign page or any signs and has everybody scratching their heads. What happened?

It wasn't eve close. She won by 9 points. For those of you who don't know the gerrymandered Michigan 5th Senate District [I didn't] here it is in yellow. If I were still a Political Science Grad student, I would be diving into this mystery with both feet to figure out how things like this happen.

Name:  mi6.png
Views: 1035
Size:  269.4 KB

A second State Senate upset occurred in Warren, although the winning candidate was known and ran a traditional campaign.

"The loss wasn't the only surprise in Tuesday's election. State Rep. Patrick Green, a Warren Democrat, was expected to be a shoo-in for re-election, but Lori Stone, a Warren Democrat and teacher, upended the incumbent by a 4,585 to 4,110 margin. She only raised $2,650 for the race, compared with Green, who raised more than $48,000 this election cycle and ended the campaign with $21,654 in his campaign bank. It was a rematch of the 2016 race, when Green got 50 percent of the vote to 30 percent for Stone with two other Democrats splitting the remainder.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/pol...ate/940582002/