In my younger naive days, I had crack-pot ideas about "helping" Detroit that I now look back on with humor and ironic nostalgia. But I might venture into such waters again as I was thinking that it might be interesting to revive one of Detroit's most interesting "festivals" called Downtown Detroit Days.

Twice a year, one week in May and one in October, stores and shops would give away prizes, have sales, and organizers would offer general entertainment. They even elected a Miss and Mr. Downtown Detroit Days. It ran from 1954 to about the early 90s. By the end it seems it had a more rummage sale/flea market feel. Though through most of it was about the stores themselves. But as they begun to close up shop in the 80s there were less and less participants.

My only concern would be the fact that the stores back then were all pretty local. Meaning corporate was local and therefore having sales were easier to coordinate. Bonobos, John Varvatos or Nike may have a difficult time offering sales if they don't have corporate sign-off. However, I think it would boost the profile of downtown by having crowds come down that come for it and not for a sports game, the tree lighting, or a show and happen to pass these stores.

Downtown stores:
Bonobos
John Varvatos
Nike
Under Amour
Vault of Midnight
Detroit is the New Black
City Bark
Bird Bee
Pure Detroit [[Guardian)
Moosejaw
Red Rose Florist
Detroit Bikes
House of Pure Vin
Henry the Hatter
J.L. Stone
Simmons & Clark
Warby Parker
Citizen Yoga
NoJo Kicks
Hot Sams
Emerson's Haberdashery

Thoughts? Or am I being a naive crackpot again?