Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
All good points. I mostly fly Delta, and then out of Toronto internationally, so I'm fine with my local market. I was looking at it from a design, crowding, amenities perspective, mostly.
A bit OT, but one of my concerns about Delta's presence at DTW is the fact that the MSP and underused LUK hub are so geographically close. For example, when Delta merged with Northwest, they shuttered the MEM hub because it was so close to ATL. Economically, it was devastating to Memphis [[thank heavens for FedEx) and they never really recovered. Cleveland [[UAL), Pittsburgh [[USAir, now American), and other cities had similar situations, although carriers like JetBlue & Southwest sometimes back fill some of the surplus gates.

Since the airline merger-mania has abated for the time being, DTW is probably safe for the reasons of sheer traffic capacity requirements. Still, the airlines are notoriously merciless when it comes to these decisions. They think nothing of abandoning a new or recently remodeled hub.