Attachment 38510

I happen to be in San Diego right now, and staying in the Marriott hotel that is just beyond the left field wall of Petco Park, often ranked as Americas best ballpark.

I have been spending some time inside the stadium the last couple days and I am about to attend my second game here. I have asked a few people in the nearby bars what they like or dislike about the place.

The overwhelming number of people mentioned how the density of the area around the stadium adds to the overall game day experience and that event programming beyond 81 games a year provides opportunties to use the facility for non-baseball events.

They have a plaza called "park at the park." It is inside the secured perimeter on game days, but is open to pedestrian traffic and hosts smaller gatherings on non-game days. For instance today I watched the US Womens World Cup game on the stage there. The gathering utilized the stadiums concourse for services and concessions. Something like this on the Olympia lot outside right field could be a catalyst for activity in the neighborhood beyond gamedays.
Attachment 38511