Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Do you really think somewhere there's a decision not to 'allow' middle class?
    You'd be surprised! There absolutely are forces [[both powerful as well as not) in Detroit that don't want well-to-do, or even middle class, people around...

Middle class used to also be called Blue Collar - hard working ordinary folks

That's right, O3H. Like the people I grew up with in EEV.

A few sundry remarks:

Also, once upon a time in the ancient past, Detroit Police were required to live within the city limits. From what I understand, that went a long way in fostering a sense of community between the cops and the neighborhood.

There's still the "snitch" mentality i.e. not reporting crimes. Some kids were caught breaking into cars a few years ago in my neighborhood [[in Texas) and the neighbors came flocking out, bombarding the cops with IDs and information.

The first thing I would do if I were to rehab a commercial area is to also rehab the surrounding neighborhood. I know cameras aren't the only thing that needs to be done, but they're a big help.

The fact is, no matter how grandiose or optimistic the urban planning is, the fact remains that no one wants to be where they don't feel safe.
    Last edited by kathy2trips; June-20-18 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    You'd be surprised! There absolutely are forces [[both powerful as well as not) in Detroit that don't want well-to-do, or even middle class, people around...
    So, no economic diversity, huh? That's just evil, and detrimental if Detroit is ever to recover and flourish.

Different people also have different views of safety, comfort levels.
    Not every ""group"" of people, in an area, are out to hurt/attack others.
    Situational awareness and some street smarts go a very long way .

The City Planning Commission plans, God laughs.

Perhaps the day will come when churches pay property taxes
    - and then the Planning commission will laugh

Notice how Trump is never seen in church - take a hint

Upon further reflection, Towne Cluber may have a salient point. Poverty may well be be big business for some. I hadn't considered that. Thanks for opening my eyes to that.

The link below is mostly concerned with global poverty, but certain principles can be applied to American urban poverty as well.

As quoted from the article: "Have you ever gotten a letter from any poverty-fighting business that read: Great news! We’re no longer needed in [[fill-in-the-blank)! Please don’t send us anymore money! Mission accomplished! The same perverse disincentive works among the poor. Why do something productive when being dependent requires less of you?"

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/gloryse...-big-business/

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Upon further reflection, Towne Cluber may have a salient point. Poverty may well be be big business for some. I hadn't considered that. Thanks for opening my eyes to that.
    That was exactly my point, and more, unfortunately. As in "big business" from a financial, recreational, professional, etc. sense. I've seen/heard about it behind the scenes. It's some real ugly stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2