Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: Black Tags

Hybrid View

The society as a whole focuses more on getting a college education, as opposed to learning a skilled trade. The trades are a excellent way to establish a career and earn a great income as well. There just aren't enough people willing to get their hands dirty so to speak. Most are inclined to rather sit behind a cubicle and wear a suit I guess. Not to mention, the debt they incur and have to pay back for that degree, and some wind up settling for a job, that has nothing to do with the degree they went to school for in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The society as a whole focuses more on getting a college education, as opposed to learning a skilled trade. The trades are a excellent way to establish a career and earn a great income as well. There just aren't enough people willing to get their hands dirty so to speak. Most are inclined to rather sit behind a cubicle and wear a suit I guess. Not to mention, the debt they incur and have to pay back for that degree, and some wind up settling for a job, that has nothing to do with the degree they went to school for in the first place.
    Absolutely agree. Baby boomers aren't/weren't afraid to get their hands dirty.

this is simply a big city vs non-big city issue. i grew up in semi rural/exurban midwest. my high school had a robust technical education curriculum, [[in addition to AP college-focused course work) focused on skilled trades [[welding, CNC-machining, advanced manufacturing, and general building trades - mech, elec, plumb). it had a lot of support from local employers in the industrial park. students designed and built a 3-bed house annually with support of the local rotary and lions clubs. the homes were sold on the open market. those who didn't go to traditional college went to 2-yr locals and now work in the trades. all of the other high schools around me had the same set up and partnerships with post-HS institutions. i went to college for a specific skill because that's what i wanted to do..no one held a gun to my head nor shamed those who didn't choose college. 2 sides to every story

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    this is simply a big city vs non-big city issue. i grew up in semi rural/exurban midwest. my high school had a robust technical education curriculum, [[in addition to AP college-focused course work) focused on skilled trades [[welding, CNC-machining, advanced manufacturing, and general building trades - mech, elec, plumb). it had a lot of support from local employers in the industrial park. students designed and built a 3-bed house annually with support of the local rotary and lions clubs. the homes were sold on the open market. those who didn't go to traditional college went to 2-yr locals and now work in the trades. all of the other high schools around me had the same set up and partnerships with post-HS institutions. i went to college for a specific skill because that's what i wanted to do..no one held a gun to my head nor shamed those who didn't choose college. 2 sides to every story
    Who said anything about guns to the head or shaming if you don't choose college? You're taking what I said completely out of context. I said this country pushes people to go to college, and Skilled Trades was a viable option for those who don't go to college, to make a good living. College isn't for everyone. Nothing more, nothing less. ???

Who said anything about guns to the head or shaming if you don't choose college? You're taking what I said completely out of context. I said this country pushes people to go to college, and Skilled Trades was a viable option for those who don't go to college, to make a good living. College isn't for everyone. Nothing more, nothing less. ???
    My parents never held a gun to my head and told me to go to college, but it was implied.