Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I don't have a dog in this fight. I like Belle Isle, I like the race, and I live very close by. That said, even the most ardent supporters on both sides must see the race and the island are no longer a good fit. Since you can't move the island, time to move the race.

Building a racetrack would be cool I guess. My preference would be returning to a street track. If the goal of this thing is to "showcase Detroit on TV", can't get better than a race through the downtown streets. Also, the downtown street grid sure could use the money that will be spent to improve it to facilitate racing. That would be a year round benefit.

Just my 2 cents. [[is there a cents sign on a conventional QWERTY keyboard?)

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Where exactly?
    I have a couple in mind. Its up to you to figure out where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I have a couple in mind. Its up to you to figure out where they are.
    It's up to you to take a trip along 8 Mile in Detroit and look around -- there might not be as much "plentiful vacant land" as you seem to think...

I have an idea...

Name:  tempsnip.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  54.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    I have an idea...

Name:  tempsnip.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  54.1 KB
    Of course, you realize that land is already slated for mixed use development, including a potential transit hub. Also, the idea of a permanent race track there has already been vetoed by neighbors.

Yeah, but this idea is better

Those renderings they just released are just proposals, nothing is set in stone. The city is about to buy 142 acres of the site, more than enough room. Problem solved.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...7-m/445113002/

I know it won't happen, but it was a good idea at the time.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; June-01-18 at 09:36 PM.

Where exactly?
    Maybe whoever develops a track could purchase the Bel Air shopping center on 8 Mile east of Van Dyke. And it's not in Detroit, but I hear there may be some land available soon at 8 Mile and Kelly.

Likewise, I'd like full disclosure on the backgrounds of detractors. Anti-car? Anti-business? Non-Detroiters? Non-representative of the majority of Detroiters?
    You’re kidding right? The few people protesting without a corporate interest are the ones you question? The folks who want a park to be a park and not those who are monetizing it without proving benefit should get the ninth degree? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    You’re kidding right? The few people protesting without a corporate interest are the ones you question? The folks who want a park to be a park and not those who are monetizing it without proving benefit should get the ninth degree? Interesting.
    Are YOU kidding? You said it yourself -- of the few people protesting -- the majority don't live in Detroit, nor are they representative of the city demographically. Why wouldn't you question it? Interesting indeed.
    Last edited by Towne Cluber; June-03-18 at 11:16 PM.

Are YOU kidding? You said it yourself -- of the few people protesting -- the majority don't live in Detroit, nor are they representative of the city demographically. Why wouldn't you question it? Interesting indeed.
    so you know where they’re from? Help me out, what’s their motivation?

so you know where they’re from? Help me out, what’s their motivation?
    I know that they freely identify where they're from to the television and print media. You're going to have to help yourself and figure it out.

Oh, so you don’t have any answers to the questions I’ve posed to you. Got it.

Those proposing a permanent track in a more residential type or retail area have obviously never lived near one, or even been to one. The sound travels for miles and could clearly be a nuisance over and above regular city noises. A temporary track downtown or on BI is bad enough, but the noise is only for a few days a year. A permanent track would need events over several months to cover costs.

Though way outside town, places like Willow Run or the GM Proving Grounds in Milford would make more sense [[though GM would never allow it).

Bob-Lo would be a good option, but getting the volume of people to and from would be a mess.

Oh, so you don’t have any answers to the questions I’ve posed to you. Got it.
    Feel free to be completely dishonest. Got it.

Racing to cover 2 weekends in 2021

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...21/5879913002/

Belle Isle NEVER closes! It's a State Metropark now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2