Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I’m a little pissed off though that they are giving you $2 Billion over 40 years to “subsidize” DWDS.
    You're more than welcome to build your own water & sewerage system.

Guess how much that'll cost you? Hint: $2 Billion over 40 years is a bargain in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    Our leaders north of 8 Mile are not idiots. They haven’t bankrupted us like yours have in Detroit and they haven’t committed us to pay for your RTA. I’m a little pissed off though that they are giving you $2 Billion over 40 years to “subsidize” DWDS.
    Patterson was elected County Executive in 1992. It's not hard to balance the budget with the situation he inherited. But what has his leadership brought to Oakland County? It's status in absolute terms is still fine, but relative to the region, the country, and the world, it's gotten worse, not better.

Macomb County didn't have a County Executive until recently, but you can't say its trajectory has changed. In 25 years Shelby Township is going to look like Eastpointe, which the RTA would help resist. He has no vision or constructive contributions to what the RTA should be or how it could best benefit his constituents, he's only offered moving goalposts and consternation. If he had a real primary opponent I would be voting for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Patterson was elected County Executive in 1992. It's not hard to balance the budget with the situation he inherited. But what has his leadership brought to Oakland County? It's status in absolute terms is still fine, but relative to the region, the country, and the world, it's gotten worse, not better.
    That's quite obviously untrue. Oakland County, right now, has its highest share of regional population and wealth. There has never been a larger gap between Oakland and the rest of the region.

Patterson is an ass, but deserves credit for his county's outperformance. Macomb, and especially Wayne, fall further behind every year.

With ALL party politics aside.

It can honestly be stated that Michigan and Metro Detroit have really failed to produce ANY leaders of quality for as long as a majority on this board has been alive.

It has been a state and region at war with itself, rapidly out competed on the national level for half a century and constantly playing a half assed game of catch-up.

An asterisk should be put in for Mayor Duggan who has presided over major improvements. But realistically, the bankruptcy and Kevyn Orr swept so much garbage overboard, setting the table for a higher probability for success. It was fairly unprecedented in American politics. Judgement should be withheld for another term.

The same leaders keep getting elected and re-elected. So I guess all the voters north of 8 Mile are idiots too, according to the OP rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    That's quite obviously untrue. Oakland County, right now, has its highest share of regional population and wealth. There has never been a larger gap between Oakland and the rest of the region.

Patterson is an ass, but deserves credit for his county's outperformance. Macomb, and especially Wayne, fall further behind every year.
    No it's very much true. It doesn't take a genius to realize how wealthy your county is and make sure the budget is balanced. But he didn't do just that, he is also greedy and has an ego, so he took all the marbles, built a wall around Oakland County, said to the rest of the region, " We got yours thanks to you, now you get yours but leave us alone!" Instead of trying to be a regional leader, he became an isolationist and lead us to the fights we are fighting today.

He built himself an urban sprawl empire, brainwashed a white constituency that believed only he could balance budgets and save them from any "urban" encroachment, and voila, the present.

Now he's old, we see right through him, and he needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    The same leaders keep getting elected and re-elected. So I guess all the voters north of 8 Mile are idiots too, according to the OP rationale.
    I would say they're not idiots, just insane and ignorant to the outside world. I'm baffled by the fact we just don't understand how things work even though other regions do it well. But we do the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post

So so be it...

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    No it's very much true. It doesn't take a genius to realize how wealthy your county is and make sure the budget is balanced. But he didn't do just that, he is also greedy and has an ego, so he took all the marbles, built a wall around Oakland County, said to the rest of the region, " We got yours thanks to you, now you get yours but leave us alone!" Instead of trying to be a regional leader, he became an isolationist and lead us to the fights we are fighting today.

He built himself an urban sprawl empire, brainwashed a white constituency that believed only he could balance budgets and save them from any "urban" encroachment, and voila, the present.

Now he's old, we see right through him, and he needs to go.
    I couldn't have said this better myself.... LBP has never wanted to cooperate with the rest of the the region, especially Detroit, and Hackel seems to be following his lead. I remember LBP challenged CAY to a actual fist fight, over 40 years ago, Lol.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-04-18 at 11:23 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3