Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Looks like it's already become of interest to passers-by and One Campus Martius employees and visitors. Photos from Tanya Moutzalias of MLive:

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._installe.html

Attachment 35799

Attachment 35800
    Attachment 35801

These days people will take videos of toilet paper with print on it, post it on Fakebook, and get a boatload of "likes" in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    These days people will take videos of toilet paper with print on it, post it on Fakebook, and get a boatload of "likes" in return.
    "...and stay off my lawn, you little bastards!" he said shaking his cane menacingly at the children from his porch.

Oh, Grandpa; bless your heart.

"...and stay off my lawn, you little bastards!" he said shaking his cane menacingly at the children from his porch.

Oh, Grandpa; bless your heart.

You kiddies look thirsty, have some more!

Name:  Purple Kool-Aid.png
Views: 331
Size:  111.7 KB

Gosh, again break out of this Midwestern stuff..... I bet people hated the Calders back in the day, it wasn't art. Go to Seattle and see what art is in their city. The norm isn't always the way to go. I hope you all have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by carolcb View Post
    Gosh, again break out of this Midwestern stuff..... I bet people hated the Calders back in the day, it wasn't art. Go to Seattle and see what art is in their city. The norm isn't always the way to go. I hope you all have a nice day.

I think a lot of people felt differently about ice cream and dairy products then they do about creepy Mickey figures.

https://calderdairy.com/

Looks like it's already become of interest to passers-by and One Campus Martius employees and visitors. Photos from Tanya Moutzalias of MLive:

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._installe.html

Attachment 35799

Attachment 35800
    Attachment 35801

Your pictures remind me of Duane Hanson's sculptures of tourists over the years, and the reaction people had to them.

https://goo.gl/images/eVo51z

I think this pic says it all:

Name:  huh.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  22.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by carolcb View Post
    preach on - you are correct

9. Default

I like that people are encouraged to touch it.

I'm kind of meh about it, but I like that it's not naturalistic. Unless the sculptor's skill approaches Michelangelo's naturalistic sculptures usually look to me like a corpse. I'd rather it be abstract and conceptual. I also like that it invites interpretation. Don't just please my eyes, encourage me to think and/or affect my experience.

Regarding the woman in 1953's photo, she reminds me of the people I saw in Naples, inside the monumental sculpture Richard Serra installed in the central square. Basically an enormous spiral of rusted steel, people lined up to circle through its tall walls into its empty center. I guess a lot of them were expecting something inside, and didn't realize the spiral itself, and the way it altered your perceptions passing through it, was the art. The looks of exasperation and befuddlement when they arrived at the center were hilarious. I always regret not better documenting that. The woman in Detroit was comparatively subdued. Napoletani can be especially transparently expressive folk.

I appreciate Richard Serra's art.

Name:  29030291205_c9077996b1.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  144.6 KB
    Last edited by bust; May-25-18 at 09:57 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4