Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

That statue is creepy, and I hope they decide to move it to a less prominent location, like the incinerator at 94 and 75, soon.

Maybe they can swap it out for the Macomb statue, which is much nicer to look at.
    Last edited by 1953; May-21-18 at 03:20 PM.

Even if I don't like the particular aesthetics of an art piece, I do love when art riles people up like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    We had an intern start today. He's 21 [[I'm 34). He was aware of who the artist was and said that he liked the statue and that it was a great addition to downtown and said it would draw some people to the area to see it.

Perhaps it's just an age thing? Perhaps at 34, I must now accept that I'm "old" and that I "don't get it".
    I'll be 33 next month and I recognize the name and shtick.

It's not what I would have chosen but considering the buyer and demographic they want to attract it makes sense.

I had a chance to see it up close and in person today. I hate it even more than when I had just seen pictures of it. It's a terrible way to welcome people to your 15 story downtown Detroit building.

Agreed. I have always harped that The Fist is a terrible way to welcome people to downtown Detroit. But more on point, Gilbert had to go all the way to Brooklyn or NJ to find an artisian for his CM creation? Detroit lacks talent for him to recognize a local?

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Even if I don't like the particular aesthetics of an art piece, I do love when art riles people up like this.
    Funny how generations of folks were brought up on Looney Tunes and Disney Characters and are appalled at a few subversive [[read "creepy") lines over the same old same old cartoon canons. I would have thought that people would be somewhat immune to this crossbreeding of a Tim Burton like Cartoon aesthetic, that the prevalence of death’s heads mushrooming since 1990 would blot out the fear of zombies, but no, they rule.

We had an intern start today. He's 21 [[I'm 34). He was aware of who the artist was and said that he liked the statue and that it was a great addition to downtown and said it would draw some people to the area to see it.

Perhaps it's just an age thing? Perhaps at 34, I must now accept that I'm "old" and that I "don't get it".
    That sounds about the right age for it. Sorry, your encyclopedic knowledge of pop songs prior to 2014 is no longer relevant. It's okay, we all go through it.

This is a New Yorker cover's story about an old drawing [[1971) by Saul Steinberg, the preeminent artist who died in 1999, the cover features a skeletal Mickey as did a lot of other illustrations over the years. I remember some of his Mickeys with machine guns. It was a glorious time, the Viet Nam war was still on
    feeding a narrative that would multiply movies of ever increasing violence. Obviously, more wars ensued and more movies with ever increasing depictions of violence and when that was not enough, superheroes saved the day with bigger explosions and effects of mass destruction. It's all good.

Last week in Texas was the 22nd school shooting in the USA this year.

Anyone know a good tattoo artist so I can add a little "totenkopf" like half the population already has?

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
    Last edited by canuck; May-22-18 at 03:17 AM.

This thread is weird.

Started out with a blind link with no information about the content, then strayed into cartoons and odd GooGoo short links [[which should never be trusted), old army stuff and dismembered floating punching things. And still no pictures of this contraption?

Here it is.

Just went up a day or two ago.

Previous images were of it before completion.

Pretty creepy. Has no Detroit vibe. Might as well have been a giant Hello Kitty getting killed by a space monster.

Perhaps we could attach some meaning to it? "Black Dads Matter" perhaps?

Name:  6Cu9YwTCENICHBdoerVo1n2525UoxqtGOE6jMNattQk.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  95.1 KB

I went by it last night. It would not be my selection of art for one of the most visible points in the city. But its Dan's money and his land, so he can do as he pleases.

I think it is art and if it makes people talk and think, so be it. There are lots of art/sculptures that are donated where I work, and sometimes I like them and sometimes I don't. Kind of like looking at a Picasso. Different strokes for different folks. Think what little kids will think of it. Conformity is over rated!

Welcome to Art in the the 21st Century Detroit.
    I appreciate the many beautiful statues throughout the city, many from the 19th and 20th Century.
    The city doesn't really have much new public art statues.
    Welcome to the 21st century Detroit.
    Last edited by Detroitdave; May-22-18 at 08:59 AM.

There was a comic strip character that reminds me of. I was thinking 'Nancy' but her hair is more round, not pulled to the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post

Perhaps we could attach some meaning to it? "Black Dads Matter" perhaps?

Name:  6Cu9YwTCENICHBdoerVo1n2525UoxqtGOE6jMNattQk.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  95.1 KB
    You don't really understand art do you? You can attach your own meaning and interpretation to it. There doesn't need to be some universal acceptance of this piece and what it stands for.

Complaining that we can't have a "Detroit artist" featured is such a lazy response. There are tons of local artists doing great things in this city. Charles McGee has a giant mural on 28 Grand and other buildings, there was an awesome photo exhibit from Jenny Risher at the DIA last year, Library Street Collective, MOCAD and many others have lots of local artists featured in their galleries, the Dequindre Cut commissioned a bunch of locals to create all kinds of art there and Movement is packed with local musicians.

I think it's important to have a mix of local artists and world-renowned artists like KAWS, Shepherd Fairey, How & Nosm and others. It creates a vibrant scene with something for everyone. I recommend checking it all out!

Can we please replace that statue with something more artistic?

That statue is racist against black people!

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    Agreed. I have always harped that The Fist is a terrible way to welcome people to downtown Detroit. But more on point, Gilbert had to go all the way to Brooklyn or NJ to find an artisian for his CM creation? Detroit lacks talent for him to recognize a local?
    That's just provincial and basic. I agree with EGrant. The DIA isn't filled with art made by Detroiters only. Perhaps some, thank goodness, but I am not sure the city and its elite should limit themselves. Nor is outside procurement inconsistent with simultaneously supporting local art.

That aside, I do think this piece is odd. I'm ok with odd, but when it casts a shadow across your central square, that's a bit much. This ought to be in a visible but less central place. CMP should have a welcoming and catholic sort of appeal, calling for more timeless and less controversial design.

tacky as all hell. fits right in with all of DG's other terrible aesthetic choices

It looks like a cross between Mickey Mouse and a Star Wars character that appears in the Cantina

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    That's just provincial and basic. I agree with EGrant. The DIA isn't filled with art made by Detroiters only. Perhaps some, thank goodness, but I am not sure the city and its elite should limit themselves. Nor is outside procurement inconsistent with simultaneously supporting local art.

That aside, I do think this piece is odd. I'm ok with odd, but when it casts a shadow across your central square, that's a bit much. This ought to be in a visible but less central place. CMP should have a welcoming and catholic sort of appeal, calling for more timeless and less controversial design.
    I'm Okay with Catholic. There is so much pain and sorrow; the Virgin Mary in a bathtub like archfan aptly proposed for his front yard does the trick for me.

I don't mind creepy, the history of Art is filled to the brim with creepy, and the monuments to the dead soldiers with their vast silent expanses are neutered responses to the horror of battle.

Turn on the TV and witness how creepy the News and Entertainment are, and then tune out.

I think they need something to balance out the sculptural composition...

...such as a Popeye... Alice the Goon statue....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I think they need something to balance out the sculptural composition...

...such as a Popeye... Alice the Goon statue....
    "I love popeye"

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I'm Okay with Catholic. There is so much pain and sorrow; the Virgin Mary in a bathtub

LMFAO - my childhood priest once made a rousing + rambling homily about parishioners who 'desecrated' mary by putting her in a claw-foot tub grotto. here's a better KAWS installation

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/kaws-...ulpture-china/
    Last edited by hybridy; May-23-18 at 07:20 AM.

Looks like it's already become of interest to passers-by and One Campus Martius employees and visitors. Photos from Tanya Moutzalias of MLive:

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._installe.html

Name:  fbc_merlinkaws001.JPG
Views: 665
Size:  125.6 KB

Name:  8ca_merlinkaws002.JPG
Views: 525
Size:  108.2 KB
    Name:  318_merlinkaws009.JPG
Views: 580
Size:  102.0 KB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast