Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I just walked past this statue tonight, and it is quite unassuming. I think it looks fine. Not really noticeable from Campus Martius park. Hardly the imposing presence that the article makes it out to be. No one else in my family even said a word about it when we walked within feet of it.

I will gladly accept varying opinions and views by anyone but will not accept someone to claim that they are speaking on behalf of "most people." Exactly the opposite of a hall monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm thinking the same person that appointed you hall monitor.

If I didn't like it, I could buy something and put it on my property in rebuttal. Of course, my budget would run to a statue of Mary in a bathtub.

So much depends
    upon

a red wheel
    barrow

glazed with rain
    water

beside the white
    chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    I will gladly accept varying opinions and views by anyone but will not accept someone to claim that they are speaking on behalf of "most people." Exactly the opposite of a hall monitor.
    When did I say I was speaking on behalf of most people? I simply said I think when a large piece of art is placed in a prominent city center location, those placing it might consider getting the opinion of a cross section of people - those who live, work and visit the area to see what they think of it. If the vast majority say they don't like it, wish it was elsewhere, find it unsuitable for the location, etc. then maybe they should have second thoughts.

It's rather endearing. Not as imposing as it sounds and something to point out at get a reaction out of. I thought it was in Campus Martius. Misread that and it's in front of OCM. Looks fine.

There's a certain Play-Doh-esque charm to it... It's loathsome... yet I can't look away....

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    When did I say I was speaking on behalf of most people? I simply said I think when a large piece of art is placed in a prominent city center location, those placing it might consider getting the opinion of a cross section of people - those who live, work and visit the area to see what they think of it. If the vast majority say they don't like it, wish it was elsewhere, find it unsuitable for the location, etc. then maybe they should have second thoughts.
    That's a bit overdramatic, ain't it? If you go to a football game, you can complain about a lot things and yet they won't let you move the goalposts. So much architecture in the public realm is imposing yet bland and even offensive. I find public sculpture is not worthy of such contempt. That said, I like the piece myself.

I think it's going to age very poorly; I don't personally like it. If I were Dan or Jennifer, I'd have placed it in the atrium on One Campus Martius for the employees, customers and visitors of the building.

But as someone else said, this is privately commissioned and on private property and I imagine adheres to zoning, so that's really the end of the story. Dan and Jennifer wasted their money on this, not me, not us. Also, it's certainly a sore sight better than some of the art schemes the actual city government has implemented in the past. **cough** Washington Boulevard monkey bars **cough**
    Last edited by Dexlin; May-20-18 at 08:53 PM.

I haven't seen it in person yet, so I'm going to reserve my own opinion, but it seems to me that public art often grows on people as they get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm not sure art advances based on popularity. "No, Leonardo, we can't hang it. She confuses people. Either make her smile or don't."

Remember when Detroit had class?

And used to put up statues like this?

Sigh

Name:  Macomb_statue_in_detroit.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  160.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Exactly. It's not like Gilbert is just sitting on his empty buildings ala Mikey Higgins or the Macedonian Parking Parking Lot Lot Family Family.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    I'm not sure art advances based on popularity. "No, Leonardo, we can't hang it. She confuses people. Either make her smile or ."
    I think you're right. SOME art is made unattractive, objectionable, controversial, etc. specifically so that is draws attention to the piece and therefore the artist. [[Not speaking about Mona of course).

In a cartoon called Caroline, Caroline is lured into another dimension where evil doers try to convince her to replace her eyes with buttons to trap her. https://goo.gl/images/CbCLUd

I had a chance to see it up close and in person today. I hate it even more than when I had just seen pictures of it. It's a terrible way to welcome people to your 15 story downtown Detroit building.

Got to come and see it; the photo suggests an overweight sightless single parent and child with malignant growths, fashioned from blubber. But I’ve got no taste; I still ignore “The Fist”.

Showed it to my wife. Her reaction was “Well, that’s worse than the fist” and I can say without any hesitation she is always right.

We decided our viewing date would be 17 June.

Who hates the Fist?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    Got to come and see it; the photo suggests an overweight sightless single parent and child with malignant growths, fashioned from blubber. But I’ve got no taste; I still ignore “The Fist”.

Showed it to my wife. Her reaction was “Well, that’s worse than the fist” and I can say without any hesitation she is always right.

We decided our viewing date would be 17 June.
    How long have youse two been married?

Is that date your wedding anniversary? lol

Good for you. I like to keep the peace too. My wife is always right even when she isn't. I wouldn't clamp my fist on that park bench to determine that The Fist is a better monument than the Ravioli-like skulls and bones cartoon at Campus Martius. That there is a military antecedant to Campus Martius may be a key to the sculpture in question. IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Who hates the Fist?!?!?!?!
    The Fist is actually the perfect example to bring up in this discussion. We are all used to it so we are somewhat immune to it, but it is a large, black, fist right at the doorstep of downtown. Joe Louis was not a bareknuckle boxer, why is it shown that way? The sculpture is far more provocative and up for interpretation than people here tend to realize.

I find it funny that so many people here think that art HAS to be immediately pleasant to look at and has to be everything to everyone. This particular piece doesn't do much for me, but when I look at it I am curious about its' meaning and what the artist is trying to achieve. I have since looked up more of the artist's portfolio and I am now intrigued by their work.

The comment about Detroit lacking class because someone took a world renown artist and put their work in a public place is particularly ridiculous. While YOU may not get it or like it, it doesn't mean others feel the same. Art is subjective which ultimately renders your opinion meaningless in the grand scheme of things. This piece has made you think about it, talk about it and although you may not get beyond the faux outrage, it means it has impacted you and achieved something. I look forward to your next critique on the Robocop statue...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    Remember when Detroit had class?

And used to put up statues like this?

Sigh

Name:  Macomb_statue_in_detroit.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  160.4 KB
    Judging from this statue, that Macomb character was a scary-looking dude.

And this relates to this statue...how?

Quote Originally Posted by bibs View Post
    In a cartoon called Caroline, Caroline is lured into another dimension where evil doers try to convince her to replace her eyes with buttons to trap her. https://goo.gl/images/CbCLUd

I'll take it any day over this one....

http://smatterist.com/wp-content/upl...atues-0003.jpg

I found several others I didn't think would be appropriate to post.

We had an intern start today. He's 21 [[I'm 34). He was aware of who the artist was and said that he liked the statue and that it was a great addition to downtown and said it would draw some people to the area to see it.

Perhaps it's just an age thing? Perhaps at 34, I must now accept that I'm "old" and that I "don't get it".

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    And this relates to this statue...how?
    I think bibs is referring to the crosses for eyes. They could be button sewings. I asked earlier whether that meant they were dead. It's all kinda creepy to me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast