Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I-75 is the drug and money conduit and that erea where she was at is a well known and published as a trap for stops and cash seizures,illegal or not.

DWB used to be the main target so orgainizers switched to useing white girls to run pills to Tennessee,which is kinda the distribution point.

She was speeding,most likely profiled and gave them a reason to pull her over,she presented her IDs in picture form on the phone.

She is an educated grad student,anybody knows that a picture on a phone is no substitute for a license or official document,Everybody knows the first thing that LEO is going to ask you for is your license and registration,if your going on a trip the first thing most do is make sure they have their documents.

If you are not operating a motor vehicle you are not required to have an ID on you but you are required to properly ID yourself when asked by LEO,if you do not or can not you can be subject to arrest so they can ID you.

We can go by what is printed and do not know the whole story but nowhere does she say or accept any responsibility on her side for not haveing the proper documents that she was well aware that she was required to have.

Did she get belligerent with the officer which guaranteed her a trip?

For years thousands of Canadians make that drive in the fall and back in the spring but yet we see one case,is there more? You would think we would have heard about it.

But yet here we are supporting and justifying yet another case of lack of personal responsibility and blaming it on everybody else,with the newspaper starting out with a woman from Quebec and adding that she was a grad student that has been in the country for several years,long enough to know what the deal is,as an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I’m a lot more scared of those in charge of our government than I am of foreigners these days.
    This x1000.

These days, I would definitely trust a random "foreigner" just working and providing for family over the gangsters, trolls and Russian sycophants occupying the White House.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I-75 is the drug and money conduit and that erea where she was at is a well known and published as a trap for stops and cash seizures,illegal or not.

DWB used to be the main target so orgainizers switched to useing white girls to run pills to Tennessee,which is kinda the distribution point.

She was speeding,most likely profiled and gave them a reason to pull her over,she presented her IDs in picture form on the phone.

She is an educated grad student,anybody knows that a picture on a phone is no substitute for a license or official document,Everybody knows the first thing that LEO is going to ask you for is your license and registration,if your going on a trip the first thing most do is make sure they have their documents.

If you are not operating a motor vehicle you are not required to have an ID on you but you are required to properly ID yourself when asked by LEO,if you do not or can not you can be subject to arrest so they can ID you.

We can go by what is printed and do not know the whole story but nowhere does she say or accept any responsibility on her side for not haveing the proper documents that she was well aware that she was required to have.

Did she get belligerent with the officer which guaranteed her a trip?

For years thousands of Canadians make that drive in the fall and back in the spring but yet we see one case,is there more? You would think we would have heard about it.

But yet here we are supporting and justifying yet another case of lack of personal responsibility and blaming it on everybody else,with the newspaper starting out with a woman from Quebec and adding that she was a grad student that has been in the country for several years,long enough to know what the deal is,as an afterthought.
    First off, she had her physical license on her, it was her passport that she had the picture of on her phone.

Second, the officer was capable of verifying her ID w/the on-board computer in the cruiser.

Third the onus is NOT on a civillian to prove they have done nothing wrong.

The onus is on the officer to prove they have.

Arresting someone is legally sanctioned kidnapping [[definition, to compel someone to go somewhere against their will) and jailing them is 'forcible confinement' . We allow officers the privilege of such power, so that they can detain those who ARE criminals and whose crimes are sufficiently serious they merit the heavy handed use of the law.

Even if she was guilty [[which everyone concedes she was not) arrest and jail was inherently unreasonable to the offense.

Where's the personal, nay, professional responsibility of the officer? Clearly there was none.

I would favour jailing the officer for the offense of false arrest and unlawful detention. I'd settle for the officer being fired.

Police are useless when they cause the citizens they are charged with protecting more fear than the criminals do.

Lastly, you have no basis for your suggestion she gave lip to the officer [[which would not excuse the officer's conduct at all) no such allegation has been made against her by the police, who concede they were in the wrong.

Now, I'm going to be pompous ass and tell you to be quiet. Your ignorance is obnoxious and your defense of unprofessional and illegal conduct by cops unforgivable.

on a recent domestic trip I spoke with a nice gentleman in line with me in security. he was part of a jazz group who tours often and said he mentioned that he's always selected for a random part down. he remarked about how invasive the pat downs always are. I laughingly mentioned he should take it as a compliment that he always get 'extra attention'. sure enough after he went through the scanner he was 'randomly' selected for a pat down. the illusion of safety as an excuse to be physically assaulted every time one flies...

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    First off, she had her physical license on her, it was her passport that she had the picture of on her phone.

Second, the officer was capable of verifying her ID w/the on-board computer in the cruiser.

Third the onus is NOT on a civillian to prove they have done nothing wrong.

The onus is on the officer to prove they have.

Arresting someone is legally sanctioned kidnapping [[definition, to compel someone to go somewhere against their will) and jailing them is 'forcible confinement' . We allow officers the privilege of such power, so that they can detain those who ARE criminals and whose crimes are sufficiently serious they merit the heavy handed use of the law.

Even if she was guilty [[which everyone concedes she was not) arrest and jail was inherently unreasonable to the offense.

Where's the personal, nay, professional responsibility of the officer? Clearly there was none.

I would favour jailing the officer for the offense of false arrest and unlawful detention. I'd settle for the officer being fired.

Police are useless when they cause the citizens they are charged with protecting more fear than the criminals do.

Lastly, you have no basis for your suggestion she gave lip to the officer [[which would not excuse the officer's conduct at all) no such allegation has been made against her by the police, who concede they were in the wrong.

Now, I'm going to be pompous ass and tell you to be quiet. Your ignorance is obnoxious and your defense of unprofessional and illegal conduct by cops unforgivable.
    You must be related to her,you both think the world was placed here for your benefit,my guess is that she responded just like you did and that is why she got arrested.

She had her drivers license,big deal,Anybody can fake a foreign drivers license because the cop on the side of the road is not connected to the Canadian database to confirm.

So the law is you must have your drivers license of your country along with your passport so they can be used to validate each other.

But here you are alongside of her saying,hey I do not need to follow the law and this is what I have and it should be good enough for you.

She got a reality check and the only reason she got a pass now is because she cried on the Internet instead of accepting responsibility for her actions,the state gave her a pass because it was not worth the publicity and probably figured she embarrassed herself enough in front of the world.

It is not complicated,the law is drivers license with passport,not either or and not what you feel you should have to present.

10s of thousands of your fellow Canadians travel and have no problem following that law but as they say,there is always somebody.

Your law is clear,Americans with felonies cannot pass the border,you can enforce your laws but cry when we enforce ours.

Please feel free not to respond,nobody cares what you favor.
    Last edited by Richard; May-11-18 at 01:16 PM.

Y

She had her drivers license,big deal,Anybody can fake a foreign drivers license because the cop on the side of the road is not connected to the Canadian database to confirm.
    Wrong, as ever.

Canadian licenses ARE in the U.S database. Look it up.

Sigh.

You are so profoundly lazy, you make statement after statement as if you know something when you know nothing.

Hush!

Your law is clear,Americans with felonies cannot pass the border,you can enforce your laws but cry when we enforce ours.
    I don't recall crying. Nor do I think the United States should feel obliged to allow those convicted of indictable offences [[equiv. to felonies) into to your country.

That of course, was never at issue.

The officer's conduct was illegal, under U.S. Law, and under Georgia law, as was verified by a U.S. judge who not only dismissed the charges but ordered her arrest expunged.

Americans and Canadians are agree, when Richard speaks, something wrong is being said.

So the law is you must have your drivers license of your country along with your passport so they can be used to validate each other.
    This is not true. A Canadian citizen is not required to carry a passport in Georgia while driving. From the Georgia Department of Driver Services:

Non-US citizens holding a valid foreign driver’s license are allowed to drive in the state of Georgia for tourism or business purposes. In the case of a driver license issued by the driver's licensing authority of a foreign country, a law officer may consult such person's passport or visa to verify the validity of such license, if available.

Emphasized the important part of the passport being "available." The officer may request a passport to be presented, but
    it is apparently not an arrest-able offense or else the Georgia DOT would explicitly state that it is mandatory.

The passport also does not hold any information that would verify the validity of a drivers license. If fact, there is nothing on the two documents that would connect them to each other, besides the name of the holder. The only reason I can think of why an officer would need to use a passport to verify a driver's license is if the driver's license is printed in a language other than English. This wouldn't be an issue for a Canadian drivers license, obviously.

Think of this situation. A U.S. citizen moves to Canada and obtains a Canadian driver's license but retains U.S. citizenship. That person then drives into the U.S. and gets pulled over in the U.S. on the Canadian license. What good would presenting a U.S. passport do for validating this U.S. citizen's Canadian drivers license?

Since local police do not enforce immigration and border control, I do not see what other reason a local police officer would have for looking checking a passport.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    This is not true. A Canadian citizen is not required to carry a passport in Georgia while driving. From the Georgia Department of Driver Services:

Emphasized the important part of the passport being "available." The officer may request a passport to be presented, but
    it is apparently not an arrest-able offense or else the Georgia DOT would explicitly state that it is mandatory.

The passport also does not hold any information that would verify the validity of a drivers license. If fact, there is nothing on the two documents that would connect them to each other, besides the name of the holder. The only reason I can think of why an officer would need to use a passport to verify a driver's license is if the driver's license is printed in a language other than English. This wouldn't be an issue for a Canadian drivers license, obviously.

Think of this situation. A U.S. citizen moves to Canada and obtains a Canadian driver's license but retains U.S. citizenship. That person then drives into the U.S. and gets pulled over in the U.S. on the Canadian license. What good would presenting a U.S. passport do for validating this U.S. citizen's Canadian drivers license?

Since local police do not enforce immigration and border control, I do not see what other reason a local police officer would have for looking checking a passport.
    Maybe because the passport would have had her picture on it and is recognized as a valid ID.

There seems to be different variations of events and in this link she told the officer that she was living in Tennessee,but she was not anymore,she had already graduated and had returned to visit friends and visit her mother in Fl.

She is also saying that she had a valid Tennessee license at one time,but why would you tell and officer that you were living in Tennessee but was actually living back in Ontario?

Cop pulls her over for speeding and starts questioning her and she throws up red flags when there was really no need.

So cop tells her she cannot drive the car,which is the standard pull it off to the side and call somebody and not arrest,why did she keep arguing with the cop,if she thought she was in the right she could have parked and called the supervisor.

She was not a tourist driving through the first time,she got her graduate degree in Tennessee so she has spent enough time in country to know you will never win a roadside battle with Leo.

She gets arrested and placed in the back of the car,handcuffs in front and was allowed to keep her phone and snap chat in the process,ever hear of that happening before?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4192721/c...adian-licence/

“She then proceeded to tell me that I could no longer drive my vehicle. My driver’s window was down. As I was talking to her, she reached in and put handcuffs on me and told me that I was now under arrest for driving while unlicensed,” Nield explains while making air quotes with her hands on the last word.

So what exactly happened in the time from when the officer told her she could not drive the car and when the officer reached in and put cuffs on her.

Would not the officer had not asked her to step out of the car first if they had intended to arrest her from the start?

Big difference if the officer had told her to park it and she continued to argue the point where the officer just said enough and cuffed her while she was still in the car.

But anyways

“Within about a day of hearing about it, I dismissed it,” says Cook County Probate Court Solicitor Matthew Bennett.
    “It appears to me the problem arose when Ms. Nield told the officer she was a Canadian citizen but was living in Tennessee,” says Bennett through email.

I guess the moral of the story is if your going to visit another country and drive in your countries license it is best to have your passport with you to back it up,Kinda like what millions of foreign visitors already do.

The fallout of this is,so there is no confusion in the future,Florida is pushing to require Canadians to acquire a special permit in order to use their Canadian license longer then currantly required as a short stay,so on the snowbird aspect that will be one more added fee and headache.

This just added fuel to the fire and made the case for pushing the requirements which will effect thousands of snowbirds.

Cause and effect.

I guess the moral of the story is if your going to visit another country and drive in your countries license it is best to have your passport with you to back it up,Kinda like what millions of foreign visitors already do.
    That's a weird takeaway. The woman should have never been arrested. The arresting officer was 100% in the wrong. The Canadian woman was not required to produce a passport to support the validity of her drivers license.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2