I liked SVG as a person, and I think most of his team did too. Certainly his comments on our racist-in-chief are the least of his problems as far as I, and I think most Piston fans, are concerned.

But as a coach, and particularly as head of player personnel, I think he has been found lacking. Their consistent failures in 4th quarter situations I think can be fairly laid at the feet of the coach. It is a shame to be sure that SVG never had his full healthy roster together over the past couple of years, especially Reggie. But I think most folks still realistically see this Pistons team, even at full health, as a bottom half of the bracket playoff team at best, in a conference with little depth.

But at a point when the team's best long term strategy would seem to be about stockpiling draft choices and working to get younger supporting talent, SVG and the Pistons acted like they were already a contender and traded away pieces of their future for a fading second-tier star and, worse yet, his big contract. Now, whoever comes in will have an aging, injury-prone, and marginally playoff-contending roster, with no first-round pick, and salary cap hell for a couple of years with no visible way out. So, not a lot to offer prospective candidates, other then the [[very likely short-term) prestige of being an NBA head coach.