Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Because the zoo was small and nothing compared to the Detroit Zoo. It didn't attract the visitors the main zoo does. Hence why it closed. But it also wasn't historic and interesting like the BIA is.
    The Zoo closed back then because there was so much crime in the city and nobody wanted to return after they had their cars broken into or they got robbed at gunpoint on the Island. It was packed before law and order went to sh-t. With BI being a state park now with more security today, a zoo would probably be quite successful there because visitors would finally feel safe going there.

A new Detroit Aquarium would be the best thing that could happen to the historic Belle Isle Aquarium since it was built.

Massive revenues finally allow the tab for preservation to be picked up.

It would be a no brainer to roll them together into the same non profit entity.

The Albert Kahn beauty would never look better with what the new one profited off of tater tots and pizza.

Some Shedd Aquaruim financials:

https://www.sheddaquarium.org/global...1217-final.pdf
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; May-04-18 at 07:58 PM.

I would bet if an aquarium is built downtown or in Rivertown, it would be a natural connector to join Belle Isle Aquarium. I don't see how a big giant aquarium would shut down the BIA. It's free, through donations and if you're going to Belle Isle, you'll likely visit.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    A new Detroit Aquarium would be the best thing that could happen to the historic Belle Isle Aquarium since it was built.

Massive revenues finally allow the tab for preservation to be picked up.

It would be a no brainer to roll them together into the same non profit entity.

The Albert Kahn beauty would never look better with what the new one profited off of tater tots and pizza.

Some Shedd Aquaruim financials:

https://www.sheddaquarium.org/global...1217-final.pdf
    You are living in fantasy land if you think you can compare the wealth of a major financial hub like downtown Chicago to Downtown Detroit. The Detroit Zoo raising the funds to build a $10m nature center in Macomb County by 2019 is not the same as building a $200m Aquarium in downtown Detroit. Macomb County also has wealthier donors. The Detroit Zoo doesn't even have a clue how much it's going to cost to build it. One article says its $125m, another says $150m and yet another says it'll cost $200m. After Fail Jail, do you think any governmental leader would support this?? You're dreaming.

Not only is there not the money to fund it, but it would be political suicide. Let me ask you something: How much of your own money have you donated to build public projects? Nothing right? Thought so. This area doesn't have the money for such fiction.

If there was money in this area for that kind of stuff, the Belle Isle Aquarium wouldn't be struggling to stay open three days a week instead of the full week with their funding model and there would be money to reopen one of the two abandoned zoos on Belle Isle. The Detroit Zoo has been talking about building one in downtown since 1993 without any government support and they still don't know how much it would cost to build it. Give me a break. It's a pipe dream. You need a reality check.

DaveWindsor, why so negative?

I mean I get the correlation that Chicago is not Detroit, but man, you seem to be against having an aquarium downtown.

Why are you so against it?

An aquarium would be nice but it does seem a little late to the party. Detroit does not draw tourists in the numbers that Chicago, Toronto, Baltimore, etc. do. It would require detailed realistic marketing studies to determine how much in-state vs. out-state revenue would be needed and expected to support it. It would be nice if a unique attraction could be found that might draw families from out of state.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    An aquarium would be nice but it does seem a little late to the party. Detroit does not draw tourists in the numbers that Chicago, Toronto, Baltimore, etc. do. It would require detailed realistic marketing studies to determine how much in-state vs. out-state revenue would be needed and expected to support it. It would be nice if a unique attraction could be found that might draw families from out of state.
    I agree that “unique” would be fantastic. But there is something to be said about what is proven and works.

Aquariums are not going belly up like Auto World did. The reality is the ones that exist keep expanding.

https://www.tripping.com/explore/the...iums-in-the-us

For those who love to bring up Atlanta in the pantheon of great american cities and how wonderful their aquarium is and how that will never work in Detroit. I think you tend to forget what a backwater, backwoods country metro Atlanta USED to be back in the early 90s and before.

I don't think we need an aquarium at all. There's too many already...the novelty has worn off. I'd go for this city, the big 3, and private collectors putting together the greatest car collection display in the world in that space....but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    I don't think we need an aquarium at all. There's too many already...the novelty has worn off. I'd go for this city, the big 3, and private collectors putting together the greatest car collection display in the world in that space....but that's just me.
    Which makes just way too much sense considering some of the most iconic cars in the world were made right here.

there should be a special discount for city residents if any city money is used in construction.

Partner with the state of Michigan government and make it a state museum.

We just get out from under State financial oversight and the first thing folks want to do is build a building without windows.

for 100+ years we turned our backs to the river and built any number of physical barriers to the water. Combo. The Joe. Newspaper printing plants. Countless warehouses and other windowless buildings.

in the last half decade many of those barriers have come down because people realized that open access to the River was a plus for the City.

and you folks want to bring back the bad old days.

genius

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    We just get out from under State financial oversight and the first thing folks want to do is build a building without windows.

for 100+ years we turned our backs to the river and built any number of physical barriers to the water. Combo. The Joe. Newspaper printing plants. Countless warehouses and other windowless buildings.

in the last half decade many of those barriers have come down because people realized that open access to the River was a plus for the City.

and you folks want to bring back the bad old days.

genius
    I'm sorry but No. 1, who is advocating for a building without windows and No. 2, who is saying we are turning our backs to the river. I've been to the Seattle Aquarium, on a pier and it fits in well because it has windows and works with the landscape. No need to diss an idea just because you think the building will be built a certain way when that's not the case.

Zads,

I have a paint brush in my basement, it don't make me Picasso.

Likewise having visited an aquarium once doesn't make you an expert on Aquariums; however, it does qualify you to buy a pig in a poke and that is what you are getting.

Have you been to the Belle Isle aquarium this year? I wish everyone who wants a new aquarium would visit the one we have already.

Better yet, to show their true commitment to the need for an expanded aquarium community they could volunteer at the Belle Isle Aquarium.

Volunteering is free.

Zads,

Likewise having visited an aquarium once doesn't make you an expert on Aquariums; however, it does qualify you to buy a pig in a poke and that is what you are getting.

Have you been to the Belle Isle aquarium this year? I wish everyone who wants a new aquarium would visit the one we have already.

Better yet, to show their true commitment to the need for an expanded aquarium community they could volunteer at the Belle Isle Aquarium.

Volunteering is free.
    I've not been this year, but I've been multiple times over multiple years. I have been to more than just one aquarium, but yet, that does not make me an expert. Such it does not make you an expert on what architecture will be used to construct it, if it does indeed happen.

But seriously, is your beef with the new aquarium because of the architecture idea in your head or is it because you want to see the BIA succeed without a so-called "competitor"?

Zads,

Volunteering is free.
    Yes gnome.

I visit the Belle Isle Aquarium on pretty much a annual basis and donate. It is a architectural beauty still that must have just been amazing in 1904. My favorite part of that particular aquarium trip is being able to study the old photographs on the wall full of people starring at the wonders in the tanks a century ago. Indisputably BIA future preservation is important.

For all the people dissing the attendance of the Belle Isle Aquarium as a bellweather to a discussed aquarium downtown, realize that the Belle Isle Aquarium is rather boring and very unintersting other than from a historic perspective of the building, and it being populated with a bunch of native gray and brown fish. Who wants to go see Michigan native mudpuppies and trout? You can see half of those at Kroger.
    The draw tourist wise for a new shiny Aquarium is that it would actually be interesting to visit. Bright beautiful fish tend to draw more interest then lake trout. It would be an educational and tourist draw.

It is certainly an apples to oranges comparison and there are quite a few assumptions being made about this. We do NOT know the funding mechanism, location, or architecture of any potential aquarium. Making assumptions as for reason to poo poo this is just as silly as someone saying "let's spend 200 million on this!" without knowing the details.

I for one would love to see a much larger and world class aquarium. Before I get attached I go to the Belle Isle Aquarium about a dozen times a year, often taking people who have never been, and I donate to the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Making assumptions as for reason to poo poo this is just as silly as someone saying "let's spend 200 million on this!" without knowing the details.
    This. Really no need to get all bent out of shape over hypotheticals. I think the Zoo is floating out the idea of a new aquarium to see if there is any interest from private and public financiers. And guess what, you already have Gilbert commenting on the possibility of the aquarium within the week of the announcement. Mission accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    This. Really no need to get all bent out of shape over hypotheticals. I think the Zoo is floating out the idea of a new aquarium to see if there is any interest from private and public financiers. And guess what, you already have Gilbert commenting on the possibility of the aquarium within the week of the announcement. Mission accomplished.
    Exactly. It is now something in the back of the mind of the guy who is working on redeveloping Hart Plaza, as well as the east and west riverfronts. I do want to see more institutions in the city though. An automobile museum as well as a natural history museum would be great additions and draws for the region.

I love The BIA. It is one of the gems of the city. But comparing BIA to a new larger aquarium is like comparing Jack Adams Arena with Little Caesars Arena.

Like I said before as far as programming and scope, this would be a great anchor to the East end of West Riverfront Park where it would be accessible to downtown via short walk to the DPM and have plenty of room across Jefferson for parking facilities, and leave Hart Plaza alone for a potential full renovation down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Are you kidding me? People have been making the trek from downtown to the Belle Isle Aquarium for the past hundred years and you're complaining about it now? How is that unrealistic? You are lazy. Regardless, as I stated in my previous post, this could easily be resolved by a ferry from downtown Hart Plaza to Belle Isle. It would be no different than say the ferry from downtown Toronto to the Toronto Island Park.

Are you new to this city? Do you own a car? Here's an article from WYXZ about $50 parking lot price gouging from only a month ago. https://www.wxyz.com/news/region/det...rs-opening-day

$50 parking lot price gouging is a reality in downtown. I remember going downtown the same day as the Jimmy Buffet concert at Comerica Park/tailgate party. I saw over a dozen parking lots with signs charging $50 a spot and asked over 50 people how much they paid for the lot for one day and they all said $50.

People are going to go the aquarium with their families on the weekend, not weekdays, and they're going to get gouged $50, and if they're lucky they're not going to get harassed by aggressive panhandlers.
    I guarantee that I've been in this city longer than you and with a nicer car. Funny how "my laziness" didn't stop me from being a D1 athlete in college or a military officer. It's also funny how it didn't stop me from walking 10-15 miles a day for a week in Manhattan last summer.

I can't tell if you trying to pass off opening day/major concert parking pricing as a daily [[or even weekend) occurrence is more plain disingenuous or just outright dishonest. Likewise with you trying to pass off a three hour round-trip walk from Downtown to Belle Isle as something that the average person/family could/would do.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I love The BIA. It is one of the gems of the city. But comparing BIA to a new larger aquarium is like comparing Jack Adams Arena with Little Caesars Arena.

Like I said before as far as programming and scope, this would be a great anchor to the East end of West Riverfront Park where it would be accessible to downtown via short walk to the DPM and have plenty of room across Jefferson for parking facilities, and leave Hart Plaza alone for a potential full renovation down the line.
    There is a large vacant lot to the east of the current West Riverfront Park that might be perfect for such an aquarium. See below link:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3241...7i13312!8i6656

Quote Originally Posted by ASilvaman View Post
    For all the people dissing the attendance of the Belle Isle Aquarium as a bellweather to a discussed aquarium downtown, realize that the Belle Isle Aquarium is rather boring and very unintersting other than from a historic perspective of the building, and it being populated with a bunch of native gray and brown fish. Who wants to go see Michigan native mudpuppies and trout? You can see half of those at Kroger.
    The draw tourist wise for a new shiny Aquarium is that it would actually be interesting to visit. Bright beautiful fish tend to draw more interest then lake trout. It would be an educational and tourist draw.
    The original aquarium, when opened, featured the following:

-an 8-foot long alligator which made its home in a recessed pond in the Aquarium’s rotunda [[in the very center of the building)

-a poisonous seven-foot moray named Geraldine

- a “Hellbender” Allegheny salamander

-sea lions from the Pacific coat;

-tropical fish from Bermuda;

-an albino trout;

http://nighttraintodetroit.com/2012/...isle-aquarium/

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    The original aquarium, when opened, featured the following:

-an 8-foot long alligator which made its home in a recessed pond in the Aquarium’s rotunda [[in the very center of the building)

-a poisonous seven-foot moray named Geraldine

- a “Hellbender” Allegheny salamander

-sea lions from the Pacific coat;

-tropical fish from Bermuda;

-an albino trout;

http://nighttraintodetroit.com/2012/...isle-aquarium/

Don't forget the electric eel....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast