Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Until the root-cause, not the symptoms, are fixed, the "same-ole" will continue to be the "same-ole". It's not the decades names of players.....insanity linked to the same thing over & over [[60+ yrs).
    By “root cause” you can only mean ownership. I can’t see the Fords selling this team. They would have no reason to do so - an NFL team is paramount to printing money. TV a revenue is huge. It’s a 32 member world wide elite club - and that’s putting it mildly

With Tate being traded, I think it's assumed that they'll have to address the WR position either in free agency or the draft. Probably both.
    On offense I've got a receiver, tight end, and a right guard

Defense...End, tackle, two linebackers, cornerback

Adequate depth at various positions is another problem. Just because you play for the Lions doesn't necessarily mean you would be on any other NFL roster.
    Last edited by Bong-Man; November-27-18 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    On offense I've got a receiver, tight end, and a right guard

Defense...End, tackle, two linebackers, cornerback

Adequate depth at various positions is another problem. Just because you play for the Lions doesn't necessarily mean you would be on any other NFL roster.
    Case in point, Teez Tabor. He's awful....

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Did my own analysis the other day. Of the 22 starting positions, I count at least 8 that require an upgrade or replacement. Stafford is not on that list, nor possible player retirements. In short, one draft isn't going to do it.

I see Stafford as a neutral force. He's good enough to get us there if we have a running game and a defense. Any notion that he's going to carry us there on his back should be forgotten as Lion imagination. He's also not the guy that's going to make players better. We'll win our division again when we have the best defense, and not before.

Don't look now, but we're ripe for another receiver in the draft.

I disagree that Stafford is good enough to get us there. 10 years and he hasn't yet. I understand he's not the only reason, they've failed. Poor management, bad coaching and other variables. But he doesn't have it in him, to lead a team, and makes critical errors at the worst times.

You also have Eric Ebron. His lone season not being a part of the Lions organization has been an anomaly for his professional career at this point, but how can this be explained? If he continues his torrid pace he will finish the season with career highs in receptions, receiving yards, and touchdown receptions with "all-pro" designation status. The Colts were a terrible team last year and most thought that they would suffer the same result this year with the uncertainty regarding Andrew Luck's return to football. The play of the quarterback position alone appears to change a team's outlook...

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    By “root cause” you can only mean ownership. I can’t see the Fords selling this team. They would have no reason to do so - an NFL team is paramount to printing money. TV a revenue is huge. It’s a 32 member world wide elite club - and that’s putting it mildly
    Right on, they have been very-successful "selling hope" for the past 60+ years & it's mind boggling to some, but fans are still actively "buying it"!

"Behavior traits do not change, unless something significant happens". As long as they own the team, just plan for the same 60+ years of losing.

Ask yourself: when was the last time you clearly heard the owners set the expectation as; "Superbowl or bust", other than never.....carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Knocturnal View Post
    You also have Eric Ebron. His lone season not being a part of the Lions organization has been an anomaly for his professional career at this point, but how can this be explained?
    Ebron was drafted too high. If he'd have been drafted 10-15 spots lower, the pressure from himself and the pressure from fans would have been tremendously lower. But as it was, he felt pressure here to live up to being a top 10 pick from day one. He never got the first couple of years to play 'under the radar' and acclimate himself to the NFL. His drops and such were highlighted from day 1. I think all that became too big of a weight for him to ever get out from underneath while he was here. Bottom line, if he hadn't been traded, would he be playing like he's playing for the Colts? Not a chance. He would have still probably sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Ebron was drafted too high. If he'd have been drafted 10-15 spots lower, the pressure from himself and the pressure from fans would have been tremendously lower. But as it was, he felt pressure here to live up to being a top 10 pick from day one. He never got the first couple of years to play 'under the radar' and acclimate himself to the NFL. His drops and such were highlighted from day 1. I think all that became too big of a weight for him to ever get out from underneath while he was here. Bottom line, if he hadn't been traded, would he be playing like he's playing for the Colts? Not a chance. He would have still probably sucked.
    I agree with all that. Also, I have read that Andrew Luck throws a different kind of pass then Matthew Stafford. Luck throws more touch kind of passes that are easier to catch, with Stafford more of his throws are the 30.06 rifle type, tougher to hang on to.

Stafford sure carved up the Dolphins though. I thought that was one of the best games I’ve ever seen him play.

Stafford sure carved up the Dolphins though. I thought that was one of the best games I’ve ever seen him play.
    That was one of the best all around games the Lions have played in years. I guess that was all they had in them.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    That was one of the best all around games the Lions have played in years. I guess that was all they had in them.
    They're all too far apart, and too few in between....

Any chance if the Lions get blown-out again the Rams, the pencil-pushing coach will "respect the process" & immediately resign after loss to show some fan respect? Any?

Any chance if the Lions get blown-out again the Rams, the pencil-pushing coach will "respect the process" & immediately resign after loss to show some fan respect? Any?
    Fat chance....

Obviosly you don't pay attention to NFL football. Or you are trolling. Either way, it's not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by djtomt View Post
    Obviosly you don't pay attention to NFL football. Or you are trolling. Either way, it's not gonna happen.
    Mam, your probably too old to remember, but a prior coach named Bobby Ross resigned after a blowout game & to show some fan respect on this annual losing culture.

Anyone else a little pissed at the "Chevy Family" commercial they've run a few times today?
    Join the family that's about to put thousands out of work.

Two losers. GM and the friggin' Lions.

Mam, your probably too old to remember, but a prior coach named Bobby Ross resigned after a blowout game & to show some fan respect on this annual losing culture.
    I believe that Bobby Ross is one of the reasons that Barry Sanders retired. Bobby Ross also went on to head coach again [[college) after his time was up with the Lions.

Bobby Ross had coached many different teams, and his coaching style had always yielded results. He came here and the same methods produced nothing. His frustration was evident. I felt bad for the guy. He fought harder against being Lionized than any other head coach I remember, and finally walked away rather than giving in.

I believe that Bobby Ross is one of the reasons that Barry Sanders retired. Bobby Ross also went on to head coach again [[college) after his time was up with the Lions.
    Based upon many good and favorable things Sanders has said about Wayne Fontes since Sanders left football, I think Fontes' departure had a lot more to do with Sanders' retirement than Ross.

I’m so sick of this “ lose to get a better draft pick BS” that is the mantra of the Lions about 90% of the past several decades. That’s exactly where we are now- if they beat Arizona on Sunday, what is going to be positive regarding that? Nothing that I can think of. So maybe theres a miracle and they finish 8 and 8? They can’t make the playoffs, that ship sailed a few weeks ago. They’re better off losing, why is this scenario always the same? It never does them any good either - they always suck no matter who they draft.

Same Ole Lions [[SOL): When expected to win/they don't. When expected to lose/they don't. When expected to draft/they don't.

White flag for this season was lifted w/the release of Tate & the team responded accordingly [[L4), truly a "great team motivator" pink-slipping the best receiver for a wasted draft pick, those 2 dudes from NE have to go....oh, not good enough at 9-7, how 'bout 4-8?

BTW: Mike McCarthy is immediately available.....carry on.

Attachment 37105
    Last edited by Smirnoff; December-09-18 at 09:13 AM.

I’m so sick of this “ lose to get a better draft pick BS” that is the mantra of the Lions about 90% of the past several decades. That’s exactly where we are now- if they beat Arizona on Sunday, what is going to be positive regarding that? Nothing that I can think of. So maybe theres a miracle and they finish 8 and 8? They can’t make the playoffs, that ship sailed a few weeks ago. They’re better off losing, why is this scenario always the same? It never does them any good either - they always suck no matter who they draft.
    They've lost 8 straight times to Arizona. Last time they beat them was 1993. Don't see why it would be any different today, especially playing against a rookie or backup QB, they've lost twice to them.

And the Lions have won in Arizona for the first time since 1993.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    And the Lions have won in Arizona for the first time since 1993.
    Whoopie !!! Too bad I didn't see it. Watched a REAL game between Balt-KC.

It should also be noted that, even at 5-8, the Lions are surprisingly still in the wild card race, due to five other NFC teams in that race all losing their games yesterday. Carolina, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Washington and Philadelphia all came out of those games with losing records and being knocked further back in the overall NFC standings. The middle of the NFC road looks so bad that if Minnesota stumbles in the last three games of the year, an 8-8 Lions can actually make the wild card.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast