Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thanksgiving could be ugly. I imagine many season ticket holders have sold their tickets to Bears fans willing to make the short trip. If it's a replay of our last meeting, the boo birds could be out in full force. I'm sure the bumble heads will manage another victory or two, but looking at the remaining schedule, they're tough to pick out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Thanksgiving could be ugly. I imagine many season ticket holders have sold their tickets to Bears fans willing to make the short trip. If it's a replay of our last meeting, the boo birds could be out in full force. I'm sure the bumble heads will manage another victory or two, but looking at the remaining schedule, they're tough to pick out.
    Even the Bills and Cardinals look suspect for getting a win now. The Lions could run the table, the opposite direction.

Any bagheads going to be there?

Near the end of the game, disaster was [[narrowly) averted thanks to a throw in the Panthers' two-point conversion attempt going too far past the end zone, combined with missed Panthers field goals earlier in the game, giving the Lions a 20-19 victory. They will be 4-6 going into the Thanksgiving game.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Near the end of the game, disaster was [[narrowly) averted thanks to a throw in the Panthers' two-point conversion attempt going too far past the end zone, combined with missed Panthers field goals earlier in the game, giving the Lions a 20-19 victory. They will be 4-6 going into the Thanksgiving game.
    The Bears defense was dominant in their win over the Vikings tonight. Might be a long afternoon on Turkey Day for the Leos.

Riverboat Ron should be keel-hauled.

Ugh. Matty 'Superstar' Statsford FAIL, just when it counts. Yet again. And again...
    And another happy Detroit Thanksgiving.

Playoff odds @ 4-7: 3%

Remember, 9-7 is just not good enough.....beat on national TV by a BU QB who only started 3 games in his entire career.

Respect the process!!!

Attachment 37004

Anyone mention they generally suck, year in, year out - for decades

I just smile when people say the Lions show up on Thanksgiving. They've now lost 12 of the last 15 on Turkey Day, and have a losing record since 1934 on the Holiday. Seems like SOL to me !

And to think that I still remember when the Detroit Three pressured the NFL to keep the Lions' Thanksgiving game in the midst of both the Great Recession and their 0-16 season.

Well, Stafford, Quinn and Patrica all have new contracts so it would seem it’s Jim Bobs turn to be the sacrificial lamb...

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Well, Stafford, Quinn and Patrica all have new contracts so it would seem it’s Jim Bobs turn to be the sacrificial lamb...

They're paying Stafford 27 mil per, for 10 years of mediocrity. What a great country we live in !!

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    They're paying Stafford 27 mil per, for 10 years of mediocrity. What a great country we live in !!
    Maybe the previous offensive coordinator [[Lombardi) was right. He said something regarding having to dumb down the offensive schemes because Stafford couldn’t grasp anything too complex.

Oh well. however many games are left, hopefully the team will win some of them.

The upside is that our Sundays are now completely free to spend time with our beloved Honey-Doo Lists. No more wasting endless hours devoted to the TV, no more having to read another scouting report, no more planning important events around the Lions.

Rejoice.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...ons/ar-BBQ6UHk

Decent read on our lost season...

Brings up some interesting points:

1. Not bringing in big free agents in a 'go for it' type year - I think this was tied to what is left of Quinn's 'Patriots way' philosophy. The Patriots don't typically overspend on free agents. I think Quinn would have brought in some bigger names but when they went for more than what he had pegged as 'value', he passed. Unfortunately, I think where this goes wrong is that the Lions aren't the Patriots, and as such, they are probably going to have to pay more than the Patriots or other big name franchises to get those players here.

2) Stafford's struggles. I know he's having a bad season but I put a lot of it on poor coaching. Cooter is not a dynamic offensive coordinator. How many times have the opponents come out after a game and said that they knew exactly what was going to happen on a 'big' play? When teams know exactly what's going to happen, you can't really put it on the QB when it doesn't work, can you? Also, both of the plays that Stafford is catching heat for at the end of the Bears game were targeting Michael Roberts. Now I get it, we traded Tate and Jones was out hurt, but you still have better options out there in whose hands you want that ball to go. The Lions, so often, try to trick the opponent and only end up tricking themselves. I would have felt a lot better had they at least attempted to get the ball to Golladay or Riddick in those situations. I don't put those plays entirely on Stafford.

3) Slay has definitely not performed to expectations. I think a lot of that has to do with the simple fact that the rest of the secondary has regressed. He's trying to pick up the slack for his teammates, and there's only so much he can realistically do.

Quinn needs to nail it this offseason. He's got plenty of cap room and a big pile of draft picks. If he uses them wisely, the team should be able to improve in many areas. I guess we just have to hope that he's learned from his successes and mistakes so far.

Until the root-cause, not the symptoms, are fixed, the "same-ole" will continue to be the "same-ole". It's not the decades names of players.....insanity linked to the same thing over & over [[60+ yrs).

Default In The Form Of A Question

On Jeopardy

Name:  20181127_062507.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  78.8 KB
    Last edited by clubboss; November-27-18 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clubboss View Post
    On Jeopardy

Name:  20181127_062507.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  78.8 KB

Easiest answer ever. Everybody should have got that right !!

Well, one things for sure. This season is over. Anyone wanna draw a chart on who we need on the lions next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    Well, one things for sure. This season is over. Anyone wanna draw a chart on who we need on the lions next year?
    Did my own analysis the other day. Of the 22 starting positions, I count at least 8 that require an upgrade or replacement. Stafford is not on that list, nor possible player retirements. In short, one draft isn't going to do it.

I see Stafford as a neutral force. He's good enough to get us there if we have a running game and a defense. Any notion that he's going to carry us there on his back should be forgotten as Lion imagination. He's also not the guy that's going to make players better. We'll win our division again when we have the best defense, and not before.

Don't look now, but we're ripe for another receiver in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Did my own analysis the other day. Of the 22 starting positions, I count at least 8 that require an upgrade or replacement. Stafford is not on that list, nor possible player retirements. In short, one draft isn't going to do it.
    First, there are few if any teams now that don't have holes somewhere within their starting 22. With the salary cap, teams always have to sacrifice somewhere. That said, eight would be a lot.

Second, while the draft should hopefully fill some of these holes, they also have plenty of cap space to work with that should allow several more to be filled. Quinn has made his share of mistakes so far, but one thing I do think he has done very well is manage the salary cap.

Don't look now, but we're ripe for another receiver in the draft.
    With Tate being traded, I think it's assumed that they'll have to address the WR position either in free agency or the draft. Probably both.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    YES: New Owners.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast