NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

FROM THE WSU THEATER AND DANCE PAGE,
    PHOTOGRAPHS OF CONSTRUCTION, FRAMING AND INTERIOR OF THE TEMPLE

https://www.theatreanddanceatwayne.c...5-years-today/

VIEWS OF MAYFAIR THEATRE DURING CIVIL DISTURBANCES OF 1943
    SHOWING THE MIDIFICATIONS AFTER THE WIDENING OF WOODWARD
    BONSTELL 1950'S AFTER WAYNE ACQUIRED THE BLDG
    Last edited by detroitbob; February-11-20 at 06:08 PM.

Thanks for the links Detroitbob...

But unfortunately all of those interior images are of the Temple Beth-El... and I have not found any good images of the interior as the Bonstelle. There are a few images, but they are very dark and you cannot make out the interior ceiling or sidewalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks for the links Detroitbob...

But unfortunately all of those interior images are of the Temple Beth-El... and I have not found any good images of the interior as the Bonstelle. There are a few images, but they are very dark and you cannot make out the interior ceiling or sidewalls.
    Thanks for all the info. Can the thread title pleases be changed to Bonstelle or Hotel AC, as the West Elm name is not coming to the hotel now? A title change could help avoid duplication of threads.

Default Jesse bonstelle interior

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    and I have not found any good images of the interior as the Bonstelle. There are a few images, but they are very dark and you cannot make out the interior ceiling or sidewalls.
    That is the sad fact...I don't recall Manning Brothers having anything years back when Bud Manning still was on Church St & John R. WSU painted out the interior at least once. There is no dome, but the framing of course is all still above the auditorium celling. The plaster work from the Temple was all removed. One of the architectural magazines did a write up but its been so many years I don't remember which one. I'm attaching the link to the Bonstelle WSU page which has photographs showing the entry, lobby, wood paneling, and general proscenium and side wall views. There are bits of Orchestra Hall and draped arches where boxes would have been and a standard proscenium. Large balcony stepped ceiling above. A comfortable room...Crane's office crew led by Dixon B Kellogg did great work.
    https://www.theatreanddanceatwayne.c...elle-theatre/#
    Last edited by detroitbob; February-11-20 at 09:22 PM.

I've notice that most or not all current hotels plans and design in Detroit are short of "exciting". Especially the ones being built from the ground up. Detroit is seeing some boring prefab and brick hotels being built. But the suburbs and other cities are seeing some exciting designs. Why Detroit settling for such boring designs?

I've seen the other AC Hotels and they are amazing, especially the one in Nashville and New Orleans. Another hotel planned here that comes up short for me is the Cambria Hotel...like yuck? Come on Detroit, step your game up as far as "Design". Sigh..

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I've notice that most or not all current hotels plans and design in Detroit are short of "exciting". Especially the ones being built from the ground up. Detroit is seeing some boring prefab and brick hotels being built. But the suburbs and other cities are seeing some exciting designs. Why Detroit settling for such boring designs?

I've seen the other AC Hotels and they are amazing, especially the one in Nashville and New Orleans. Another hotel planned here that comes up short for me is the Cambria Hotel...like yuck? Come on Detroit, step your game up as far as "Design". Sigh..
    AC Hotel has pretty bland architecture overall the fact that this one incorporates the Beth-El I think makes it more aesthetically pleasing. With that being said architecture is awful now

For all those drab hotels, we have real gems that were retrofitted into buildings [[and new build) making up the Shinola, as well as those inside the Wurlitzer, Metropolitan, Firehouse, and David Whitney Buildings. The lobby of the David Whitney alone is architecturally stunning...

Amen. To Gistok's point.

To me the theater is the visual focal point from the Woodward perspective and the new building simply adds to the viability of the whole development. In that sense I don't care about the bland design. If the architecture of the new hotel structure was too bold it might throw things off visually. It can't be easy in 2020 to design a brand new building to mesh with a 100 year old building, with a modern atrium in the middle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2