Restoration at Woodward and Baltimore in Detroit
ATWATER PARK COMING ONLINE »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1

    Default H&M is looking to move downtown

    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-detroit-store


    Its seems we are attracting international retail now

  2. #2

    Default

    It would be a welcome addition. Although so many of their styles have gotten strangely trashy of late.

    I've thus far only been to a couple stores in the Detroit area and neither carries anywhere near the broad variety of merchandise I can find at their stores in NY. I hope their Detroit location carries their full line.

    Even better I hope Uniqlo comes soon too.
    Last edited by bust; April-06-18 at 11:30 PM.

  3. #3

    Default

    Maybe they'll move just in time to go belly up.

    H&M, a Fashion Giant, Has a Problem:
    $4.3 Billion in Unsold Clothes

  4. #4

    Default

    .... If this does happen... I hope that there are not a whole bunch of stereotypical online comments about guarding against theft..

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Maybe they'll move just in time to go belly up.

    H&M, a Fashion Giant, Has a Problem:
    $4.3 Billion in Unsold Clothes
    Blame Amazon

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Blame Amazon
    I don't know anyone who buys clothes on Amazon, and I know a lot of people who use Amazon a *lot*.

    Problem with selling clothes on line is:

    1. When you source cheap clothing, your sizing tends to be all over the place, even when sourced from the same factory
    2. Fit is the most important thing with clothing - if it doesn't fit then you aren't going to wear it

    So people like to try on clothes before they buy them. Even if you buy online, you try them on in person first.

  7. #7

    Default

    H&M is terrible. Detroit deserves a Uniqlo.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    .... If this does happen... I hope that there are not a whole bunch of stereotypical online comments about guarding against theft..
    Ok, Iíll start.

    There are two main forms of discrimination and both have their subsets. Broadly speaking;

    Discrimination 1.
    Based on facts, empirical data and the cost of doing business. Crime rates warranting extra security and insurance are the main drivers here. This is economic discrimination that forces the victims to pay the price of what the minority* criminals inflict on the area.
    (* minority in number not race)

    Discrimination 2.
    This is the more familiar definition most people revert to. Itís the broad prejudice against individuals based on arbitrary assumption of an entire group.

    So, if you do see extra security, it would not be prudent to default to stereotypes or racism as the motive. It may easily be justified economically.

  9. #9

    Default

    ^ But should It really be looked at as illegal activity or people circumventing the law so they can enjoy a better way of life?

    A little compassion maybe?

  10. #10

    Default

    You forgot to use the snark font. I hope.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I don't know anyone who buys clothes on Amazon, and I know a lot of people who use Amazon a *lot*.

    Problem with selling clothes on line is:

    1. When you source cheap clothing, your sizing tends to be all over the place, even when sourced from the same factory
    2. Fit is the most important thing with clothing - if it doesn't fit then you aren't going to wear it

    So people like to try on clothes before they buy them. Even if you buy online, you try them on in person first.
    Maybe not Amazon, but have you heard of Bonobos? It is perhaps the hottest clothing retailer of the decade, and it only sells clothes online. They have guide shops in strategic locations (there is one in downtown Detroit) for customers to try on their clothing and get their correct sizes, but all sales take place online.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    It would be a welcome addition. Although so many of their styles have gotten strangely trashy of late.

    I've thus far only been to a couple stores in the Detroit area and neither carries anywhere near the broad variety of merchandise I can find at their stores in NY. I hope their Detroit location carries their full line.

    Even better I hope Uniqlo comes soon too.
    Have to agree. I was very let down by the Zara store at somerset compared to Europe. Seems the Detroit stores are angling at a specific demographic or 2.

  13. #13

    Default

    The Zara store in Somerset is terrible, even compared to their other US locations. Feels like they put zero effort into the store design and selection. Fits well with that mall.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ^ But should It really be looked at as illegal activity or people circumventing the law so they can enjoy a better way of life?

    A little compassion maybe?
    Haha, Iím about to lose my tenants due to crime by dirtbags with no respect and total disregard to private property laws. No compassion from my side.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    .... If this does happen... I hope that there are not a whole bunch of stereotypical online comments about guarding against theft..
    Right, Let's just sweep that shit under the rug and discuss " white privilege" instead...

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I don't know anyone who buys clothes on Amazon, and I know a lot of people who use Amazon a *lot*.

    Problem with selling clothes on line is:

    1. When you source cheap clothing, your sizing tends to be all over the place, even when sourced from the same factory
    2. Fit is the most important thing with clothing - if it doesn't fit then you aren't going to wear it

    So people like to try on clothes before they buy them. Even if you buy online, you try them on in person first.
    I hate shopping online due to not knowing whether the merchandise will fit properly and it is a pain returning the merchandise online for a refund. I think that the brick and mortar stores will make a comeback but in a more refine way.

  17. #17

    Default

    Online shopping will force you to be more very, VERY conscious of brand characteristics such sizing, fit and quality. You learn fast what sizes run large/ small. You learn your own measurements and nuances from trial and error. You learn how to review a great deal as well.

    For example more shoe stores offer very great return policies. Usually free return shipping if the shoes don't fit. I purchased a pair of boots that prematurely tore within a month of wear and was able to return them as 'damaged' for a full refund. I doubt I would've had that option in a store.

    And then with shoes you learn which brands run wide, narrow etc. But nothing beats the experience of trying clothes on, feeling and seeing fabric, weave, true color, detailing etc. But I love the pricing of some online items.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-08-18 at 01:53 PM.

  18. #18

    Default

    Isn't everything 'privilege' these days? ------

    I drive an older car that I try to maintain and that makes me privileged against those not driving... sigh.......

    Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Right, Let's just sweep that shit under the rug and discuss " white privilege" instead...
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-08-18 at 01:51 PM.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I hate shopping online due to not knowing whether the merchandise will fit properly and it is a pain returning the merchandise online for a refund. I think that the brick and mortar stores will make a comeback but in a more refine way.
    Only time I shop online for clothes is, if they don't have my size in store and pants for my son. He's long and lean and most stores will not carry his waist size with his length. I have better luck online for him.
    Last edited by Maof; April-08-18 at 05:41 PM.

  20. #20

    Default

    I prefer some pants/ slacks online as I can get my size length (not true tall but not standard either)! Once I zero in on a brand that fits I'm good. Lots of good sellers on eBay if you're careful. I'd not want to sell clothes on eBay though. People complain the most over clothing purchases that don't meet their requirements 100%!

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Isn't everything 'privilege' these days? ------

    I drive an older car that I try to maintain and that makes me privileged against those not driving... sigh.......
    Yeah, it does, in ways that should be obvious.

    Could you get to work, or the last job you had on public transit? If you could, how much time would you lose doing so and what would go undone because of that? If you could not, would your job prospects be increased?

    No one asked you to start a free shuttle service. If you can afford a reliable car you're doing better than many. More importantly, you're likely to keep doing better because not having transportation is an enormous handicap.

  22. #22

    Default

    ^^^ Barely affording to drive these day but I work at it, hard. I get what you're saying in the broader spectrum. My problem with naming hard won advantages as 'privilege' is that it breeds a culture of envy.

    Every week there's a new 'privilege' on the righteous list. It's even causing strife in certain groups pledging unity (such as the feminist movement) ala the pecking order, and or the requirement to 'check your privilege' (a form of shaming, ironically).

    It's getting out of control and full of JUDGEMENT when some of the same folk claim to be against those who are 'too judgmental'. Hah.

    And yeah I took public transpo a great deal, still live near the buss lines. You never discount options in my world. Always have a back up plan!

  23. #23

    Default

    A few weeks ago a guy comes by to drop off a payment for his parents,mid 20s Peruvian and works as a headhunter supervisor for a big company,I pulled out my phone to show him a copy of the invoice.

    He was shocked that I had a iPhone,I asked him why does that shock you,he says well usually people like you do not have iPhones,I am a white guy,but he was meaning because I am in the persay service industry,people tend to think that the service industry contains the lower class in life.

    So I show him the invoice and he says,damn you make more in one day then I make in two weeks,I said yep,that's why I have a iPhone and you do not,but if you notice it is an older one that I paid $99 for and maybe next time do not be such a judgemental little prick,he said,okay,and paid the bill.

  24. #24

    Default

    I'm sure he did have an iPhone, they're not that special.

    Anyway, back to H&M hopefully coming downtown...

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I'm sure he did have an iPhone, they're not that special.

    Anyway, back to H&M hopefully coming downtown...
    Maybe it is an iPhone X.

    Can we lobby Uniqlo? H&M is a mess.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.