Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Pretty much what I expected. Folks will not be surprised to know that I supported El-Sayed, but I'll happily back Gretchen for the big seat.

Extremely happy that Rashida won though.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I am surprised at how Schlutte absolutely crushed Calley. Calley was curb-stomped.

Wittmer did as expected.

Now, we will be assaulted with a fusillade of negative advertising.

Oh, joy.

I already got a goofy looking Whitmer caricature threatening to tax lawn mowing, on DetroitYES!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Pretty much what I expected. Folks will not be surprised to know that I supported El-Sayed, but I'll happily back Gretchen for the big seat.

Extremely happy that Rashida won though.
    Now if she picks El-Sayed as Lt. Governor, it just may be a win win situation.

I am surprised at how Schlutte absolutely crushed Calley. Calley was curb-stomped.

Wittmer did as expected.

Now, we will be assaulted with a fusillade of negative advertising.

Oh, joy.
    I guess that stupid ad linking Calley to Granholm and blaming them for the recession must have worked.

Let the "Mud Slinging" begin. They even took shots at each other in their victory speeches.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I guess that stupid ad linking Calley to Granholm and blaming them for the recession must have worked.
    That back-pocket maneuver works every time, every.....

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I can’t afford to be “blown away” again. If Michigan regresses back to the Granholm era, I’ll be fucking off quick smart
    Then you better pack your bags, because Michigan has a boom-bust economic cycle completely tied to auto industry.

You will be "blown away" again, but will have nothing to do with who's sitting in the governor's seat, and everything to do with global auto-buying trends.

Not surprising; Trump endorsed Schutte and the Republican party is now the Cult of Trump. You cannot win in a Republican primary without total, unyielding, fealty to Trump.

Of course, the general election will include everyone else, and these folks overwhelmingly loathe Trump.

I mentioned in post #98 that Rashiba Tiab edged out Brenda Jones in John Conyers' former congressional district. The media characterized the results in terms of the first female Muslim headed to Congress. That was the news story. However, Rashiba Tiab's victory diminishes the 35 member black congressional caucus by one member [[-2.9%). That latter story was not given voice.

Shri Thanedar, who spent $10.6 Million
    for 199,344 votes in his bid for Michigan governor.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I mentioned in post #98 that Rashiba Tiab edged out Brenda Jones in John Conyers' former congressional district. The media characterized the results in terms of the first female Muslim headed to Congress. That was the news story. However, Rashiba Tiab's victory diminishes the 35 member black congressional caucus by one member [[-2.9%). That latter story was not given voice.
    It also didn't help Jones that there were six other African American candidates. If we had a Calfornia-style "rank the candidates" primary, Jones probably would have won, by a significant margin.

But I like Talib, and think she will vigorously fight for Michigan and against Trump-Putin. We need fighters, not apologists.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Then you better pack your bags, because Michigan has a boom-bust economic cycle completely tied to auto industry.

You will be "blown away" again, but will have nothing to do with who's sitting in the governor's seat, and everything to do with global auto-buying trends.
    You are correct, not that I think Granholm added a lot of value as governor, but she was largely a victim of the vagaries of the auto business.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Now if she picks El-Sayed as Lt. Governor, it just may be a win win situation.
    we'll have to see who gets chosen in the coming weeks as the Lt. Governor candidates on both sides. Could be interesting.

regarding Whitmer, she would likely play it safe with a candidate who plays to centrist sensibilities. She would likely be hammered by Schuette-supporting PACs as being far-left ideologically. Whitmer's campaign likely wants to avoid this perception at all costs..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    we'll have to see who gets chosen in the coming weeks as the Lt. Governor candidates on both sides. Could be interesting.

regarding Whitmer, she would likely play it safe with a candidate who plays to centrist sensibilities. She would likely be hammered by Schuette-supporting PACs as being far-left ideologically. Whitmer's campaign likely wants to avoid this perception at all costs..
    If I were Whitmer, I would pick an old white male who likes guns and pickup trucks. I certainly wouldn't pick anyone named "Abdul".

It's cynical and silly, but we're in a dangerous time of nativist hysteria and incredible ignorance and you know Whitmer is gonna be called a Leftist radical because she speaks in complete sentences and doesn't get on her knees for Dotard.

Oh goody goody, now that that the prelims are over,
    the real mud slinging and bog crawling can begin.
    Let the creativity reign supreme on the TV set.

Flint is still seeking people to pass water out.....

"Brian Calley, who finished second in an often-bitter primary against Schuette, said Thursday he wanted to take the stage Wednesday at a unity rally in Grand Rapids and publicly endorse the nominee, but the Schuette team declined" [[Freep).
    Last edited by Smirnoff; August-10-18 at 08:36 AM.

If I were Whitmer, I would pick an old white male who likes guns and pickup trucks. I certainly wouldn't pick anyone named "Abdul".

It's cynical and silly, but we're in a dangerous time of nativist hysteria and incredible ignorance and you know Whitmer is gonna be called a Leftist radical because she speaks in complete sentences and doesn't get on her knees for Dotard.
    Very true. Even though born and raised in Michigan, unfortunately, some have issues with the name.

Yep, the centrist perception [[and voters therein) is crucial as most people are centrist, not the far left, or right! This is forgotten until this factor impacts voting outcomes.

Further, the far left ideology is pretty way out in response to the alt right. Vice versa. The hate and hysteria that hate and hysteria produced is the rationale.

The push back against some of the extreme of the far left proves that their perceived mandate [[of which they seemed so assured of as response to Trump) speak to the centrist voter.

They may not like Trump but the far left alternative is not desired by default either.

Last edited by Zacha341; August-10-18 at 10:12 AM.

Snub vs. Snub in the Republican Camp

Paul Egan
    Detroit Free Press USA TODAY NETWORK

LANSING - Gov. Rick Snyder snubbed the Republican nominee to succeed him, Attorney General Bill Schuette, by withholding his postprimary endorsement this week.

And in another sign that primary election wounds have yet to heal, Snyder's top aide and adviser, Lt. Gov. Brian Calley, said he received a snub of his own from Schuette's team on Wednesday.

Calley, who finished second in an often-bitter primary against Schuette, said Thursday he wanted to take the stage Wednesday at a unity rally in Grand Rapids and publicly endorse the nominee, but the Schuette team declined.

Schuette has ran the AG like a gang, if people in MI vote for legalized pot there is a good chance he will tell them to get bent

It's cynical and silly, but we're in a dangerous time of nativist hysteria and incredible ignorance...
    Yet in another thread you're cheering when a white incumbent lost to a black incumbent, Betty Jean Alexander. "Race/ethnicity still matters" is how you summed it up:

I can see some logic for the surprise win:

-Probably no MI senate district has shifted as dramatically from white to black in recent years. The incumbent is white and his replacement is black. Race/ethnicity still matters.
    So it isn't cynical, silly, nativist, hysterical, and ignorant when black people vote for people who look like them? In your words it's logical. But you can't understand how white people would not want to vote for someone named "Abdul", whom they may feel is different from them culturally?

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    Yet in another thread you're cheering when a white incumbent lost to a black incumbent, Betty Jean Alexander. "Race/ethnicity still matters" is how you summed it up:
    No, you're lying. I never "cheered" anything re. that race.

I don't know either candidate, and don't care who won; I was explaining the potential logic behind the vote.

So it isn't cynical, silly, nativist, hysterical, and ignorant when black people vote for people who look like them?
    In a general sense, yes, it is. No ethnic group should be voting for "their own" for no other reason than "they are of the same background". What does this have to do with anything?

But you can't understand how white people would not want to vote for someone named "Abdul", whom they may feel is different from them culturally?
    Putting aside the fact he is white, native-born and not different culturally, some voters won't vote for someone named "Abdul" because they're brainwashed idiots who think "the evil Muslims" are taking over the U.S. Have no idea what this has to do with the reasoning behind the MI Senate race voting.

With all due respect, that's a horrible idea. It is essentially what Hillary did and you see what that got her. She couldn't carry traditionally blue states that all voted twice for a guy named Barack Hussein Obama.

Whitmer's positions are already pretty far left, which is probably where she should stay unless she wants to run the risk of dampening enthusiasm.

Trump's endorsement should be the kiss of death for Schuette's general campaign. Trump himself is polling incredibly bad in Michigan, and Trump endorsed candidates have done incredibly bad across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Whitmer's positions are already pretty far left, which is probably where she should stay unless she wants to run the risk of dampening enthusiasm.

Trump's endorsement should be the kiss of death for Schuette's general campaign. Trump himself is polling incredibly bad in Michigan, and Trump endorsed candidates have done incredibly bad across the country.
    Rightly, wrongly, or somewhere in between -- Whitmer's association with Jennifer Granholm is also the kiss of death for her general election campaign. Most mainstream voters haven't forgotten how bad things got around here during the lost decade and will not be so quick to change the current course as it might seem [[to some at least). Therefore we have a question of the lesser of two evils...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast