Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I'm sorry for those that will lose their jobs. But as someone who has seen more than one relative destroy their life betting on the ponies, and knowing how cruel the industry is to horses, I am a little delighted in this. I hope something great is developed there.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I'm sorry for those that will lose their jobs. But as someone who has seen more than one relative destroy their life betting on the ponies, and knowing how cruel the industry is to horses, I am a little delighted in this. I hope something great is developed there.
    Thank you for that reminder, this is true. I was there with people who were much more interested in the racing and betting than me. It was good for the beer and the people watching of the best of Hazel Park society.

I hope whatever is developed there is meaningful for a city that is quickly becoming the spill-over Ferndale/Royal Oak.

They'll probably put another strip mall there, SMH.

You that closing the facility isn't going to change anything about the lives of those betting on the ponies; they'll just find something else to bet on, just like one bar closing won't "cure" an alcoholic

I went twice with a friend whose dad owned a horse. Once for a race. Before that for a "show" where horses paraded in a circle and were judged for their training and physical characteristics.

During the race, the horse was among the leaders and had a chance until the stretch, when suddenly it fell back, writhing in pain. It didn't finish. The strain of its effort had caused it to "burst a lung", which I learned that day is something thoroughbreds can be susceptible to as the result of breeding for speed. That was its last day. Cruel indeed.

I think it took third place in the horse show. The most memorable part, we kids thought it was hilarious: one of the horses was, er, particularly alert during the competition. Swinging like a pendulum almost scraping the dirt the entire time. We couldn't believe it: that one took the blue ribbon. What I learned that day: what "hung like a horse" means.
    Last edited by bust; April-08-18 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I think it took third place in the horse show. The most memorable part, we kids thought it was hilarious: one of the horses was, er, particularly alert during the competition. Swinging like a pendulum almost scraping the dirt the entire time. We couldn't believe it: that one took the blue ribbon. What I learned that day: what "hung like a horse" means.
    Yikes! Now that's funny.