Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

This is going to be some election. Doug Ford is a repulsive windbag and there are a lot of people out there who were probably thinking of voting Conservative but just can't stomach the thought of him as premier. Then on the other hand you have a large group of people who can't stomach the NDP because of their tax and spend, pro-labour ways. Wynne is right...a minority government would be best. It's clear in the debates that Wynne is very intelligent and knows her stuff inside out. I really didn't mind her as premier and it's kind of sad that the Liberals may not even win enough seats to qualify as official party status.

Have been monitoring this thread for a while, but it’s taken me a long time to jump in.

CBC’s Poll Tracker shows that the NDP have a 1 in 8 chance of winning the most seats. I think this is a little pessimistic. If young people turn out to the polls as in UK 2017 and Canada Federal 2015, then they will probably vote for the NDP and they would win 39-40% of the vote. If they DON’T show up and Baby Boomers run the election, PC’s win 39-40% of the vote. The FPTP system is a little more helpful to the PC’s but not as much as many suppose.

I don’t know how Wynne’s early concession can affect the race. Maybe “saving the furniture” for at least 8 liberal seats? She may not even win her own riding.
    Last edited by MicrosoftFan; June-04-18 at 08:13 AM.

The Globe and Mail [[for those wanting to know, a conservative-leaning, business oriented 'national' but Toronto based newspaper) has published an editorial on Doug Ford that explains the conundrum facing those who would normally vote Conservative.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...n-for-ontario/

Referencing your post #50, I recommend others go back and read it. Thank you for the thorough incite and explanation of Canadian politics. I especially liked your take on greens. I have extended family in northern Ontario tending to be liberal, including one an elected city official in NB, with a few conservative and NDP family dissidents. My relatives tend to appreciate Ontario's health care, dislike Trump, and are nationalistic. Hockey is their religion but that is a different topic.
    Last edited by oladub; June-04-18 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Referencing your post #50, I recommend others go back and read it. Thank you for the thorough incite and explanation of Canadian politics. I especially liked your take on greens. I have extended family in northern Ontario tending to be liberal, including one an elected city official in NB, with a few conservative and NDP family dissidents. My relatives tend to appreciate Ontario's health care, dislike Trump, and are nationalistic. Hockey is their religion but that is a different topic.
    You're welcome.

I hope Doug Ford wins a majority. He is the best thing that can happen to this province.

Doug Ford says:

The NDP will hike taxes by billions and increase your hydro bill by 25%.
    It says so right in their platform.

Their economic plan would take us back to the Rae Days, when over a million people were forced on welfare.

Their candidates accuse Canadian soldiers of war crimes and demand a 35 cents/litre carbon tax.

We have a different plan.

We’re going to cut gas taxes by 10 cents a litre.

Reduce middle-class income taxes by 20%.

And lower hydro bills by 12%.

Our childcare tax credit will reimburse parents for the childcare of their choice, not the government’s.

We’re going to cut red tape and small business taxes.

We will bring good jobs back to Ontario.

Our plan is modest and responsible.

It's a plan that puts the people first and respects the taxpayer.

^ Had to laugh at the quote where "It says so right in their platform"

At least the NDP have a platform. Doug Ford has not even released a platform...that in itself is scary. There's no way he's going to be able to meet all of those objectives without making massive cuts and that is the only reason why they haven't released one.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    I hope Doug Ford wins a majority. He is the best thing that can happen to this province.
    If the "best thing that can happen to this province" is a Trump-Lite vulgar, bigoted windbag with a "platform" of idiotic nonsense, then I would hate to see the "worst thing".

Quote Originally Posted by Embee View Post
    ^ Had to laugh at the quote where "It says so right in their platform"

At least the NDP have a platform. Doug Ford has not even released a platform...that in itself is scary. There's no way he's going to be able to meet all of those objectives without making massive cuts and that is the only reason why they haven't released one.
    He has a platform. It's on his website. Part of his platform was mentioned above--the tax cuts.

Nothing scary about his platform. He said he will find 4% cuts in departments from efficiencies and not a single job will be lost, expect for the $6million dollar man at Ontario hydro, who should be paid no more than $500K like the CEO of Hydro Quebec. He has proven such a plan works when he was a municipal politician for the City of Toronto and balanced the budget and found a billion in savings without firing a single person.

NDP platform can't be trusted because they made a $1.4billion accounting error that Horwath admitted to and apologized for. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...plan-1.4671619

Ontario Liberals say there's a $5.7B budget mistake in the NDP's election platform. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...tion-1.4661710

The Auditor General stated Wynne's projected budget understated the projected deficit by $6billion, so the Liberals can't be trusted either with their platform. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-understating/

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    If the "best thing that can happen to this province" is a Trump-Lite vulgar, bigoted windbag with a "platform" of idiotic nonsense, then I would hate to see the "worst thing".
    Liar. Where's the proof he's a bigot? He has the most minority candidates running for the conservative party that the conservative party has ever seen. All the Windsor candidates are Muslim. How does that make him a bigot?

He has a platform. It's on his website. Part of his platform was mentioned above--the tax cuts.

Nothing scary about his platform. He said he will find 4% cuts in departments from efficiencies and not a single job will be lost
    Nonsense.

First off 4% savings on a 150B budget is 6B.

Now remove those items where cuts are either impossible [[interest on the debt); or where any modest efficiencies would be eaten up by promises made [[Health) and you just removed 47% of spending from any cut.

You now need to cut that 6B or 7.5% from the remaining spend.

But you have a quick look, didn't he say 'no layoffs'? Since teachers are 80% of labour cost of education, and since he's said no school closings, ....can't really cut much there at all. A few administrators by attrition?

Can't stop feeding the prisoners or guarding them, no laying off the judges or the OPP....

At the end you're going to be left w/cutting departments like environment by 25% or more, and that would most certainly involved layoffs and lots of them. Last time we tried that by the way, people got killed in Walkerton Ontario by contaminated water.

His commitments are non-workable.

Beyond all that he has not released any deficit projection at all, and has made spending/tax committments totally over 6B on top of the deficit he would inherit.

That's before considering how to account for the hydro and pension costs at the core of the dispute between the Auditor General and the Liberals.

If you are even handed and allocate that money as deficit whoever is in power, and Ford gets in you would have the largest deficit in Ontario history at over $18B.

He has proven such a plan works when he was a municipal politician for the City of Toronto and balanced the budget and found a billion in savings without firing a single person.
    This is such a nonsense statement.

First off, Doug was not Mayor, nor was he budget chief.

Second, Toronto, as with all Ontario municipalities must have a balanced budget by law every single year.

Meaning Rob Ford inherited a balanced budget from his predecessor.

Third, during Rob's time as Mayor Toronto contracted out the jobs of 1/2 the sanitation workers; the workers for the new company make a fraction of what City staff did; there were many unfilled jobs, and service levels stagnated.

Fourth, Doug's attendance record at council was abysmal and this was idiot who tried to scuttle award-winning plans for the waterfront in favour of a giant ferris wheel.

The epitome of responsibility he is not.

Moreover, as of yesterday, he is being sued.

Sued...by Rob Ford's Widow, who in a Statement of Claim filed w/the court alleges that he is not only mismanaging and misappropriating his late brother's estate; but that he has also mismanaged the family business causing it to lose $5M in recent years.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-millions.html

NDP platform can't be trusted because they made a $1.4billion accounting error that Horwath admitted to and apologized for. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...plan-1.4671619
    While that mistake is accurate, the overall platform was submitted to an indpendent non-partisan third party for costing.

The mistake, when caught, was admitted, and corrected.

It was a stupid mistake that should have been caught earlier. That's a fair concern.

Though, just to be even-handed its not really a 1.4B mistake, just on paper.

The reason I say that is that its 700M, which by law is set aside as a contingency in the provincial budget each year.

The intent, of course, is not to spend a contingency.

So while it was wrongly recorded as revenue, in a typical year it is not actually an expense.
    [/quote]

Ontario Liberals say there's a $5.7B budget mistake in the NDP's election platform. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...tion-1.4661710
    /
    To be accurate, the Auditor general has disagreed w/the accounting for a surplus in a pension plan for years, that's just over 4B of the disagreement.

The way it is accounted for is the same way the Mike Harris Conservatives accounted for it, the Liberals did not change that.

The Auditor General signed off on it for years before suddenly changing her mind.

Having reviewed both the GAAP [[generally accepting accounting practices) and the public sector specific ones, I disagree w/the AG on this.

But if you do decide you wish to increase the deficit by 4B then that money will add to a PC or NDP deficit as well.

Psst, The PCs and the NDP will both use the Liberal numbers not the AGs.

The remaining difference is over the 'Fair Hydro' plan.

I agree w/the AG on this one. The manner in which this is accounted for is exceedingly dubious, shifting the cost onto the utilities books.......actually that's only 1/2 of it, but we won't go there here.

One other note, Mr. Ford does not have a history of being bigoted in the sense of racist.

Clearly I am not his defender, but that particular issue is not one he has been guilty of thus far.

But he has most certainly shown some signs of homophobia, refusing to raise the Pride Flag or march in the pride parade as most other public officials have and do.
    Last edited by Canadian Visitor; June-05-18 at 07:28 AM.

It's just amazing how few decent candidates run for any type of political office any more. All the Conservative Party had to do was elect a boring, no-name small 'c' conservative with no baggage to lead the party and they would have won in a landslide. Instead they select the most polarizing candidate available to them.

Liar. Where's the proof he's a bigot? He has the most minority candidates running for the conservative party that the conservative party has ever seen. All the Windsor candidates are Muslim. How does that make him a bigot?
    Ford is a bigot. Of course you would deny it. Has any Trump cultist ever admitted Trump's constant bigotry? Ford is nowhere near as bad [[he's Canadian after all), and doesn't talk like a vulgar 3rd grade boy, but there's no question his support is somewhat rooted in bigotry.

Ford has been pretty open about his homophobia, has promised to "take care of his own" re. immigration and constantly deals in lies, slurs and innuendo. He can't go all-out Trump because the share of immigrants in ON is too high.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It's just amazing how few decent candidates run for any type of political office any more. All the Conservative Party had to do was elect a boring, no-name small 'c' conservative with no baggage to lead the party and they would have won in a landslide. Instead they select the most polarizing candidate available to them.
    Completely accurate.

If the PCs had put up Elliot or Mulroney I think they'd have this in a walk.

But....

I think the talking point is that they haven't proposed a budget. But given how little respect budgets get around Ontario, I don't see how that's much of a sin. Is it really better to have produced a budget only so you can ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I think the talking point is that they haven't proposed a budget. But given how little respect budgets get around Ontario, I don't see how that's much of a sin. Is it really better to have produced a budget only so you can ignore it.
    Where exactly are you getting this?

The government for all its flaws has hit its annual budget targets every year.

As most governments do in Ontario.

There are 2 accounting disagreements as has been discussed, one which the AG is wrong about, and all parties actually agree on this and have written their numbers accounting for a pension fund surplus the same way.

The other disagreement does involve some very dubious accounting on the electricity file, that will likely be one reason, among many, the current government is turfed.

As to proposed budgets in platforms, every party always writes their platforms in mildly optimistic ways [[no one ever assumes a recession will occur on their watch) because if you did, the other guys would always out promise you.

But everyone except the PC/Conservatives have vaguely credible numbers.

One could quibble w/them or disagree w/their policy priorities or deficit sizes, but at least you know where they stand.

The PCs have no budget and have no proposed means to pay for their promises.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Referencing your post #50, I recommend others go back and read it. Thank you for the thorough incite and explanation of Canadian politics. I especially liked your take on greens.
    ^Me too. One of the joys of being in Detroit is to be able to follow Ontario and Canadian politics on Channel 9 CBC one the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    Nonsense.

Now remove those items where cuts are either impossible [[interest on the debt); or where any modest efficiencies would be eaten up by promises made [[Health) and you just removed 47% of spending from any cut.

But you have a quick look, didn't he say 'no layoffs'? Since teachers are 80% of labour cost of education, and since he's said no school closings, ....can't really cut much there at all. A few administrators by attrition?

Can't stop feeding the prisoners or guarding them, no laying off the judges or the OPP....

At the end you're going to be left w/cutting departments like environment by 25% or more, and that would most certainly involved layoffs and lots of them. Last time we tried that by the way, people got killed in Walkerton Ontario by contaminated water.

Beyond all that he has not released any deficit projection at all, and has made spending/tax committments totally over 6B on top of the deficit he would inherit.

That's before considering how to account for the hydro and pension costs at the core of the dispute between the Auditor General and the Liberals.

If you are even handed and allocate that money as deficit whoever is in power, and Ford gets in you would have the largest deficit in Ontario history at over $18B.

Second, Toronto, as with all Ontario municipalities must have a balanced budget by law every single year.

Third, during Rob's time as Mayor Toronto contracted out the jobs of 1/2 the sanitation workers; the workers for the new company make a fraction of what City staff did; there were many unfilled jobs, and service levels stagnated.

Fourth, Doug's attendance record at council was abysmal and this was idiot who tried to scuttle award-winning plans for the waterfront in favour of a giant ferris wheel.

Sued...by Rob Ford's Widow, who in a Statement of Claim filed w/the court alleges that he is not only mismanaging and misappropriating his late brother's estate; but that he has also mismanaged the family business causing it to lose $5M in recent years.

While that mistake is accurate, the overall platform was submitted to an indpendent non-partisan third party for costing.

It was a stupid mistake that should have been caught earlier. That's a fair concern.

The reason I say that is that its 700M, which by law is set aside as a contingency in the provincial budget each year.

So while it was wrongly recorded as revenue, in a typical year it is not actually an expense.

To be accurate, the Auditor general has disagreed w/the accounting for a surplus in a pension plan for years, that's just over 4B of the disagreement.

The way it is accounted for is the same way the Mike Harris Conservatives accounted for it, the Liberals did not change that.

The Auditor General signed off on it for years before suddenly changing her mind.

Having reviewed both the GAAP [[generally accepting accounting practices) and the public sector specific ones, I disagree w/the AG on this.

But if you do decide you wish to increase the deficit by 4B then that money will add to a PC or NDP deficit as well.

I agree w/the AG on this one. The manner in which this is accounted for is exceedingly dubious, shifting the cost onto the utilities books.......actually that's only 1/2 of it, but we won't go there here.

One other note, Mr. Ford does not have a history of being bigoted in the sense of racist.

Clearly I am not his defender, but that particular issue is not one he has been guilty of thus far.

But he has most certainly shown some signs of homophobia, refusing to raise the Pride Flag or march in the pride parade as most other public officials have and do.[/QUOTE]

This is all an interesting read,kinda looks like no matter what flag is flying things are the same everywhere.

I do have to admit the concept of not attending a gay pride march makes one automatically homophobic,is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ...snip...
    I do have to admit the concept of not attending a gay pride march makes one automatically homophobic,is interesting.
    Yes, interesting.

When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

When you're a progressive, everything looks like racism, or homophobia, or Islamophobia.

When you're a social conservative, everyone looks like Muslim Terrorist.

Both bad thinking.

btw, has the Toronto Gay Pride Parade opened itself to the Police Department yet, or are they continuing to fight the 1980s demons in their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Yes, interesting.

When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

When you're a progressive, everything looks like racism, or homophobia, or Islamophobia.

When you're a social conservative, everyone looks like Muslim Terrorist.

Both bad thinking.

btw, has the Toronto Gay Pride Parade opened itself to the Police Department yet, or are they continuing to fight the 1980s demons in their minds.
    To be clear every Mayor, every Premier has marched in the parade for the longest time.

Including those of a Conservative persuasion, such as the current Mayor, who is a former CEO of Rogers Media and started his professional life as an asst. to a then Conservative Premier, Bill Davis almost 40 years ago.

To not do so IS a pretty clear statement.

Now, personally I wouldn't march, but that wouldn't be anti-gay, cause I hate the Santa Claus parade too.

LOL

I'm even handed.

I don't the idea of watching other people walk past you and be enamoured of that.

But its a thing in our society.

So if you choose to skip one, you' better skip'em all.

Otherwise you're clearly playing favourites.

In respect of the police, you need to know that the police marched in the Pride parade for years.

They were booted 2 years back for a variety of reasons.

I don't happen to agree w/that choice, but they didn't ask my opinion.

I don't know if they'll be back this year, my instinct is no.

But I think next year is likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Maybe because you don't believe in equal rights under the law?

Politicians are to attend major events. That's expected. They're certainly obligated to attend the largest provincial celebrations.

When a politician singles out a certain event, it's pretty clear they're making a statement. Ford is clearly signaling alliance with those who are against equal rights for gays.

...To not do so IS a pretty clear statement.
    It may be a statement, but its not clear that disrespectful or worse.

I agree that Gay Pride parades are very important politically. But Trump & Ford the Deuce aren't playing the old political game by the old rules. Honoring the Gay Cognoscenti isn't important to them -- and probably isn't very important to anyone who would be at all open to voting for them.

The universe of politicians who decide not to attend Gay Pride events probably includes both neanderthals homophobes as well as those who just have other priorities. I try to assume first that there's a simple and charitable explanation, and leaving the jumping to homophobia [[see B'ham's post) to others.

Litmus tests don't impress me very much. And this test doesn't tell me anything about Ford II.

Switching to the other side, is the Gay Pride movement so fragile that attendance at the parade is required? The Italians no doubt thought the same thing once. Attend our parade, or we're insulted. Seems immature to me.

What are everyone’s predictions for seat counts? I think the current seat projections are being too pessimistic on the NDP, especially in GTA-Hamilton-Niagara. I think the PC’s will either just make it or just fall short- 61-66 seats. I think the NDP will do better than most
    projections suggest and will get 58-63 seats. Which leaves the liberals with 1-5. Greens might win in Guelph.

Nonsense.

What complete nonsense! Who the hell are you? Where's your proof? I don't know your real name or your phone number. Why should anyone accept a financial assessment from an anonymous forumer?? For all I know, you could be a high school dropout who got a D in math. How do I evaluate your credibility? At least with Doug Ford, I know it's a real person and I can contact his office with questions I have about his platform. You always say such nonsense claiming to be someone you are not. Get a life.

Doug Ford was on city council with his brother Rob the Mayor. The City of Toronto was heading for huge tax hikes through overspending and Ford Nation prevented any property tax increases by finding over a billion in cuts through efficiencies and balancing the books.

They were both straight shooters who said they would find efficiencies and not raise property taxes and they did it. At least with Doug, I know where he stands on my taxes.

Prove what you say, phony, or STFU.

The allegations are all unproven in court. Doug and the Ford matriach Diane have both stated the allegations are all baseless. Rob's widow is also suing brother Randy. The whole family. Doug said Rob's wife has had a serious addiction for a long time and blew her money. The lawyers are just trying to extort money from them during election time. I don't know about about you, but I know a lot of people who have gone through horrible divorces with ex-wives throwing all sorts of mud and false allegations and have their lawyers ask for the moon. It's common practice on what scumbag family lawyers do.

It should have been caught before an independent third party costed it and it was all over the media.

It's a $1.4B mistake because they put an expense of $700m on the revenue side making it $700m x 2. I don't know about you, but $1.4 BILLION is still a lot of money.

It is an expense and those are the rules because it's normally the practice of government to run over budget. Since when have new government expenditures or projects not run overbudget?

To be accurate, I don't see how an anonymous forumer is qualified to criticize the Auditor's General's accounting practices.

The Auditor General is hired to audit to integrity of the governments finances. Below is the Auditor General's qualifications and why I trust what she has to say over an anonymous forumer:

Bonnie Lysyk became the 13th Auditor General of Ontario on September 3, 2013, after having previously served as Provincial Auditor of Saskatchewan, and Deputy Auditor General and Chief Operating Officer of Manitoba.

Lysyk has held senior positions in both the private and public sectors during a 25-year career spent in three provinces. She has extensive audit, finance, risk management and governance experience.

She served as the Deputy Auditor General and Chief Operating Officer for the Office of the Auditor General of Manitoba for nearly seven years and, most recently, as Provincial Auditor of Saskatchewan for over two years. She also held a variety of senior roles at Manitoba Hydro over a 10-year period and served as Chief Audit Executive of the Manitoba Liquor Control Commission.

A native of Winnipeg, Lysyk graduated from the University of Manitoba with a Bachelor of Administrative Studies [[Honours) degree and subsequently obtained her designation as a Chartered Accountant while working with Coopers & Lybrand [[now PricewaterhouseCoopers). She also has a Masters in Business Administration and is a Certified Internal Auditor.

Lysyk is currently a member of the Canadian Council of Legislative Auditors and sits on the Committee of Professional Conduct of the Canadian Institute of Actuaries and on the Board of the CCAF-FCVI Inc. She has also taught auditing courses in Toronto and overseas.
    [[ https://www.cdhowe.org/bonnie-lysyk-...eneral-ontario )

Psst, I don't care about what the other parties could do because they are not in office. BUT, I am highly concerned about what the office currently in power doing because it's my tax dollars that are paying for it.

Fine we both agree with the AG on this one, but it still doesn't make an anonymous forumer credible.

But he has most certainly shown some signs of homophobia, refusing to raise the Pride Flag or march in the pride parade as most other public officials have and do.
    Most people don't march in gay pride parades or raise Pride Flags. That doesn't mean most people are homophobic. Most people elected the gay premier currently in office so that didn't affect her ability to have gotten the job of premier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Ford is a bigot. Of course you would deny it. ...
    You just proved to everyone you're full of sh!t.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast