Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
You know Ontario's public schools are one of the top ranked systems on the planet right?

Of course not.

You know the Catholic system is government funded, and regulated, its teachers have to graduate the same programs as public school teachers and it must adhere to the same curriculum and physical discipline is not allowed.

The principal difference is that there is a once a week chapel service and Biblical material is acceptable in certain courses [[public speaking as an example).

They are otherwise near identical and largely create duplicate administrative structures.

They don't exist for a religious reason per se. They are an artifact of Canadian Confederation when all schools were Protestant or Catholic, w/the former largely being English and the latter being French.

Protection for both was enshrined to protect the right to minority language education.

Quebec abolished religious schools some years ago, as have most [[but not all) other provinces.

Linguistic Boards remain.
I was not questioning the ranking of the public school system,it maybe was a bit confusing because most Americans are not familiar with how the two different systems work and why.

To mention mingling of funds or of the two groups would really mean little to the adverage American without some systematic background.

Here it would be considered Catholic school as a religious based private school verses a public school where anything religious is currently frowned on or banned,hence my comment.

Thank you to those who took the time to explain it.

Unfortantly our public school board system is taxpayer funded but does not answer to the taxpayer or the city that they are located in,they have their own little rules,maybe they can also learn from Canadians public system because as recent events show they clearly have not had a handle on things for quite some time.

It is interesting that Quebec abolished religious schools,completely or government funded?

Some of the recent immigrants where I am at have formed their little private schools based on the religion of their culture,way back in the early 80s I think I was paying $80 per week to send my kids to catholic school,income based,but I am mid western Lutheran,my wife at the time was catholic but it was not required to be to attend.