Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Is Detroit a warning or opportunity, A?

K-slice, exactly! I'm glad you saw the opportunity in catastrophe. Now, how can you evolve past the status quo & bring your business into a more low-impact, environmentally friendly/constructive, & sustainable future? Old paradigms are falling continually. The people are demanding something different, more egalitarian & less skewed financially. Of course, that's been going on since the birth of the U.S.

Statsu, are you familiar w/ the propositions posed by Permaculturists? Wouldn't it be exciting to make Detroit a sustainable, green city w/ good, affordable housing & human-scale design? I don't think people would mind building up as long as there were privacy, gardens & parks, & tons of little shops everywhere along w/ clubs & coffee-tea houses, etc. Instead of the bottom line, how about people & their environment first? And surround the area w/ forests & wildlands. As Russell Means said, we are the new Indians. Do we want to befriend the retros who brought us to this place or move forward to create & adapt to nature?

Sammy, I agree w/ all three points you've listed. I just hope you understand that people can do all three & still lose their shirts due to circumstances they couldn't control. They used to be given a hand up, but today they are more likely to be despised. Been there, done that. It sucks. Our society has a mean spirit on the loose, & that can destroy the best of dreams.

Sammy, stop making assumptions. The Strawman argument is a cheapshot. I know how to write a friendly note. I also feel disgust when the recipient isn't professional enough even to acknowledge receipt. And no, the Fords are not obligated legally to help Detroit. The Patriarchal Henry was both a blessing & curse to the city. Legally, if I were an Olympic swimmer & I see a 12 year old girl drowning in a shallow pond, I don't have to save her.
    I strongly urge you to read this masterpiece: The Flivver King. I couldn't put it down. https://www.amazon.com/Flivver-King-...40_&dpSrc=srch
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Stravo; March-28-18 at 12:45 PM.

Wow, that's a sweet attitude of hopefulness & encouragement, Sammy. How about you stop making laws, regs, & codes making it impossible for the little guy to make a living. By you, I mean likeminded folks, you all.

Thank you, Zacha! Is that short for Zachariah? My Mum loved that name & variants of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stravo View Post
    Detroit is a precious opportunity for a new, people-based arcology...
    Even after looking up "arcology" I don't understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat001 View Post
    Even after looking up "arcology" I don't understand this.
    Understandable, as the term has nothing to do with Detroit as it was, is, or in all likelihood, will be. If someone wants to create an arcology someplace in Detroit, I think that would be a great experiment, but it has nothing to do with what is actually happening, good or bad.

Stravo, you remind me of a college friend who, back in the
    late seventies or early eighties, was distressed at losing an
    original Paolo Soleri drawing or plan or whatever it was.

This is beautiful and advanced stuff of course but the friend
    thinks that if you want to do something more interesting or
    advanced in terms of building art ecological design you have
    to do it somewhere else other than Detroit.

Here is the page Warrendale the neighborhood is on today. The
    Motor City Makeover will happen in May, but plenty of makeover
    can surely happen sooner than that.

The Dearborn City Council just prevented a Holiday Inn Express
    from being built adjacent to Warrendale. Warrendale activists
    are apparently not pleased that the existing adjacent hotels don't
    keep their walls facing the neighborhood free from graffiti, or pick
    up the trash deposited next to the walls that blows over from the
    Southfield Freeway, or what would endear them to another hotel
    good neighbor, send out a delegation of grounds keepers to clean
    the brush and dumps along the Southfield Freeway north of Ford
    Road.

Wishing you well in your collaboration with Holiday Inn Arcology
    and maybe even in Detroit!
    Last edited by Dumpling; March-28-18 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Understandable, as the term has nothing to do with Detroit as it was, is, or in all likelihood, will be. If someone wants to create an arcology someplace in Detroit, I think that would be a great experiment, but it has nothing to do with what is actually happening, good or bad.

Why,you had enough of social experiments?

I think the original concept of Walt Disney and his Epcot was the closest to that,my sister lived in a downtown Minneapolis apartment that was attached to the skyway system there and she really never had to go outside for anything.

But she had a trust so there was no need to figure out how to actually pay for it all.Somebody has to.

The whole self supporting part is a bit iffy because it contains service jobs that the employees would not be able to make enough to live in the sphere anyways,so unless it is communal it would be the rich and the Serbs catering to them and then going home outside of the bubble at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Richard; March-28-18 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stravo View Post
    Wow, that's a sweet attitude of hopefulness & encouragement, Sammy. How about you stop making laws, regs, & codes making it impossible for the little guy to make a living. By you, I mean likeminded folks, you all.
    I can agree with that. So your problem is with city bureaucracy, right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2