Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Anyone going to the Movement Festival this Memorial Day?

Anyone else going to Movement this year? Who are you looking forward to seeing? For me this year, Flying Lotus is my main focus. I am also looking forward to RJD2, and the usual contingent of Detroit talent [[Saunderson, May, Goree, etc). I'd say Adam Beyer and Marco Carola, but I'm sick to death of minimal. It will be nice to see a live performance from Octave One again.

Sorry, that thread title should say Memorial Day weekend.

I wish all a great festival and nice weather. I'll be at a rented cottage on Lake Huron, near Grand Bend. Probably our last trip to Canada for quite a while. Looking for work, and will delay our purchase of Passport Cards or enhanced Driver's Licenses until good employment is found.
    Very glad we prepaid for the cottage!

Is it going to cost $100 bucks this year?

^really.
    I went all the time when it was free like the jazz festival. I think the $40 or whatever it costs could be much better spent. There's pleanty of other stuff downtown this summer that isn't a rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Is it going to cost $100 bucks this year?
    Presales for the full weekend pass are $40 on Paxahau's site [[paxahau.com).
    There's a VIP package as well, not sure how much that runs as I never bother.

Figured I'd try again by shamelessly bumping my own thread... Anyone going at all? Would be cool to meet a fellow DYeser or two.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mclark View Post
    ... I'm sick to death of minimal.
    ^Amen to the end of belly-button gazing undanceable sound. Fine for a concert hall, awful for a festival.

On my list is Afrika Bambaataa, for historical curiosity as he is one of the non-Detroit godfathers of techno and Seoul vs Linder 2x4.

Linder aka T Linder is my favorite. Those of you who attended the first DetroitYES forum meetup back in 2001 ["Fabulous Ruins Night" at the Cass Cafe] will remember him as the DJ who performed for us that night.
    Last edited by Lowell; May-07-09 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ^Amen to the end of belly-button gazing undanceable sound. Fine for a concert hall, awful for a festival.

On my list is Afrika Bambaataa, for historical curiosity as he is one of the non-Detroit godfathers of techno and Seoul vs Linder 2x4.

Linder aka T Linder is my favorite. Those of you who attended the first DetroitYES forum meetup back in 2001 ["Fabulous Ruins Night" at the Cass Cafe] will remember him as the DJ who performed for us that night.
    Yeah, Tom [[T Linder) is an awesome guy and a great DJ. I don't know Seoul but I've seen him play many times. Looking forward to the tag. I've seen Afrika Bambaata a few times now and he is always entertaining. I can only imagine how sick of "Planet Rock" he is by this point though.

Yeah!! I'm going to the movement fest!! It's a world class event in the D! Everyone should embrace this even if they don't plan on attending. All events with a positive economic impact for the city of Detroit is always welcome in my book! Love it!

RJD2 will be cool. Benny Benassi will also be sweet. Can't wait!

Where are the detroityes'ers meeting up?! I love this blog!

We should plan some sort of meetup... so far that makes 3 or 4 of us. Any suggestions?

Yeah, RJD2 will be cool. I've never seen him before, but I only have Deadringer and maybe one other record of his.

I really really wish they'd book Shadow or Krush one of these years. I haven't seen Shadow in years and never caught Krush.

If you like Tom, you will dig Seoul [[Bill). All good guys. Just saw a few of the DTM [[Detroit Techno Militia) guys here in Charlotte. Good to hear some proper techno here.

Missing the fest, but already did WMC this year. Maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by mclark View Post
    We should plan some sort of meetup... so far that makes 3 or 4 of us. Any suggestions?

Yeah, RJD2 will be cool. I've never seen him before, but I only have Deadringer and maybe one other record of his.

I really really wish they'd book Shadow or Krush one of these years. I haven't seen Shadow in years and never caught Krush.

RJD2 will be there? Will this be a live set?
    And I would love to see Shadow or Krush!

I'm pretty sure RJD2 is doing a DJ set. Still, that will be cool to see.

15. Default

I can't justify the $40 either. It needs to be free again...and have better performers again. The after parties are better. My husband and I are going to see Dieselboy, can't remember where he is going to be...maybe if you're there mclark [[or anyone else) we'll bump into you.

Years past is what made this event - kids that go now don't even know what it used to be.

I am old. lol.

Check out the "I'm On A Boat!" afterparty. http://www.residentadvisor.net/image...99167-back.jpg

$51 for weekend bracelets this year. They should really consider a fan-appreciation day discount for michigan residents.

You can see the same the dj's afterhours for free/$5/$10...
    http://dtalesdtown.blogspot.com/2009...ties-omfg.html

Yeah its up there in price.
    I mostly want to go Monday...but can't stay the entire day since we are hosting people. *sigh*

I agree with bigtreble...they should consider a discount for state residents...hell even just Detroit residents.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtreble View Post
    $51 for weekend bracelets this year. They should really consider a fan-appreciation day discount for michigan residents.

You can see the same the dj's afterhours for free/$5/$10...
    http://dtalesdtown.blogspot.com/2009...ties-omfg.html
    The weekend wrist-bands were $40 if you bought them more than a week in advance [[like myself and all of my friends). That's $40 for essentially 36 hours of performances - not bad at all if you ask me.

Carl Cox's 3 hour set last night absolutely destroyed. Huge crowd, great energy, and I'm really pretty sore from dancing like a fool all night.

Any reason as to why the damn bass has to be so loud? I mean a person can only take the same beat thumping in their heads for hours on end for so long. I can hear it over 3 miles away! Why not turn the speakers toward Detroit? Why to a foreign country with condos on the water?

I got a Facebook bulletin from Paxahau saying that Carl Craig will be the Creative Director for Movement 2010.

"CARL CRAIG NAMED CREATIVE DIRECTOR FOR MOVEMENT 2010

DETROIT, May 22, 2009—Techno Music legend Carl Craig has been named Creative Director for Movement 2010. Paxahau made the announcement today as they prepare for the start of Movement 2009 which is set to begin on Saturday, May 23 at noon.

“Movement is already a great festival and a successful brand,” said Craig, “it is an honor to be involved with Movement in this new capacity. I look forward to working with the team from Paxahau to take the artistic vision for the festival to a new level.”

In his new role Craig will be involved in various creative aspects of Movement including artist bookings and the festival’s brand image. He will also serve as an ambassador for the Movement festival as he travels the globe performing for throngs of electronic music enthusiasts.

“Detroit is such a wonderful music town,” Craig continued. “With Movement we have such a great opportunity to remind people from around the world and those that are right here in our own backyard that electronic music in Detroit is very powerful and that our annual festival is the best stage for showcasing the most talented artists of this musical genre.”

The annual Memorial Day Weekend festival has gone through several reincarnations since its beginning in 2000. Paxahau earned the right in 2006 to produce the festival. Since then they have been credited with bringing financial stability to the once fledgling festival and developing a festival atmosphere that appeals to fans because of the high standard of production quality they demand and their ability to book major local and international artists year after year.

Paxahau representatives were elated when Craig agreed to become creative director and believe his involvement will strengthen the future of the Movement festival in Detroit.

“We were extremely excited when Carl agreed to come on board as our new creative director,” said Jason Huvaere, president of Paxahau. “He has a complete understanding of the history of Techno Music in Detroit. He understands its impact around the world because he lives it every day.

“Carl is a musical visionary whose ambassadorship is unparalleled. He will be able to capture the desires electronic music fans have for Movement and help us to incorporate them into future festivals.”

Yeah it was good to hear that Carl Craig is back. He did a great job of representing a pretty diverse array of Detroit bred or influenced music and his removal was petty. And hey, maybe next year it won't be 75% minimal techno!

Anyone make it to any of the afterparties? I went to "Kill Your TV 2", which was pretty ravey [[glowsticks abounded) but Joey Beltram was really good as usual.

Goat,

There is no such thing as 'aiming' transducers that produce those deep frequencies.

They radiate a perfect sphere from their core 'engine', which is bounced back and thusly amplified by any large surface.

Say...like the surface of the earth.

The sound was both hearable and feelable way out past the old train station, although it was probably lower amplitude than that bounced by the tall buildings towards your shore...it would be a curious study in acoustics to measure it all.

Cheers, I am still in shock from it all...but it was amazing. I spent most of my time in Eph's feeding a seemingly endless parade of very cool, happy, and loving people.

It was great fun, and a tremendous contrast with those HoeDowners [[save the Willie fans, ex'd or not). If this is an indirect endorsement of Ecstacy, so be it.

i went monday at around 4-5pm

listened to tiga at the side stage from 6:30-8pm then some bad boy bill. tiga was good!!

that red bull stage was the best tho. busy p had some fresh beats and i really liked the next dj too. bassnectar. it was funky. he said his mac kept crashing so he had to do some backup beats, but it still rocked! benny benassi had two hot chicks in lingerie dancing on the side of the stage...at the side stage. the main stage was ok, more laid back with kevin saunderson and derrick may.

we saw this guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzGuWdDxXos

and we saw these demfbots when we were waiting for a ride home near greektown
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-3KKUDY4UM

definitely not regretting the $30 spent. just wish i would have bought the $50 all weekend pass!!
    great times had by all!

what did everyone else think of demf 2009 and after parties???

I think I loved those videos.
    I had fun I went Sat. and wished I'd bought the weekend pass