Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I can't justify the $40 either. It needs to be free again...and have better performers again. The after parties are better. My husband and I are going to see Dieselboy, can't remember where he is going to be...maybe if you're there mclark [[or anyone else) we'll bump into you.

Years past is what made this event - kids that go now don't even know what it used to be.

I am old. lol.

Vintagesoul - Dieselboy is going to be at CPOP Gallery, I think the first night of the festival. Along with Tech Itch. I'll probably try to stop by there as well.

And yeah, it's changed a lot since 2000. I do miss the old days of the festival, and I hate not being able to take in my own water and food. And I really miss not hearing minimal all day... hell, I miss Richie Hawtin playing the harder shit, instead of the Euro crap he plays now.

Richie is off to the fashion world now. Maybe if he sells enough clothes, he'll start playing semidecent music again. Doubt it.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=10547

Quote Originally Posted by mclark View Post
    Vintagesoul - Dieselboy is going to be at CPOP Gallery, I think the first night of the festival. Along with Tech Itch. I'll probably try to stop by there as well.
    Yeah. Tech Itch. My husband is the hugest fan....lol. I like him too, but I like Dieselboy better. I am more a fan of the minimal stuff, but I have to admit I like a little happy hardcore. It's my guilty pleasure.

Oh and house. Sweet delicious house. In the truest sense - not the gimmicky clubby ish. Especially funky house. Yeeeaaaaaahhhhhh....

Well mclark I'm sportin a head of dark brown dreads and a star tat on my right arm. You can't miss me. lol.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out.
    Anyone have a "favorite performance" kind of moment from festivals past?

Mine was probably Scan 7 at the first fest, or Autechre in 04 or 05 or somewhere around there.

I'll be there, buying a weekend pass tomorow. The discount sales end the 15th I think. Trying to stretch the money out.
    FWIW, I think the festival is a positive event for the city. I have friends [[expats) coming in from Chicago, New York, California, Arizona and the upper penninsula for the weekend. They rent hotel rooms, eat in detroit restaurants, and speak well of the experience for weeks after.
    I never plan where I'm going to be, just kind of wander through, and I always seem to have a grreat time. I don't know enough about the scene to pick artists in advance anyway. The trick for me is pace, I always get drawn to afterparties, and run late to the festival the next day.

Yeah, I've yet to have checked out an afterparty there [[Yes I'm aware something must be wrong with me..)...hopefully I'll be able to check one out this year.

I'm going to tech fest and get crunk!

Quote Originally Posted by BasementBeat View Post
    Yeah, I've yet to have checked out an afterparty there [[Yes I'm aware something must be wrong with me..)...hopefully I'll be able to check one out this year.
    My problem is that even though there are generally some great looking after parties, after 8+ hours of the festival I just want to go lie down in silence for a while.