Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    They had metal detectors and pat-downs in Southfield movie theaters during the 1990's. I would imagine the same is true along this much rougher stretch of town.
    Star Southfield does not and has never had metal detectors or pat downs.

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    The now-defunct AMC Americana Southfield had metal detectors. I don't remember if they had pat downs.

Both Star Southfield as well as the Americana had shooting incidents.

The type of movie shown draw a certain type of crowd. You never heard of shooting or fights inside the Redford Theatre for it show movies that don't attract the rowdy crowd. The mostly white suburbs show a variety of movies but will rarely show any gangsta Boys in the Hood like movies at their theatres that will attract that type of crowd. I'm happy to hear of the possibility of getting an Emagine in Midtown but hopefully a plan will be in place for keeping down violence at some of the venues

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Why does there need to be such high security? I've been to a few theatres in downtown areas and they operate the same as any suburban theater.

Just want to give you a chance to clarify before I read between the lines too much on your comments.
    Those are not movie theatres that you had been to recently

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The type of movie shown draw a certain type of crowd. You never heard of shooting or fights inside the Redford Theatre for it show movies that don't attract the rowdy crowd. The mostly white suburbs show a variety of movies but will rarely show any gangsta Boys in the Hood like movies at their theatres that will attract that type of crowd. I'm happy to hear of the possibility of getting an Emagine in Midtown but hopefully a plan will be in place for keeping down violence at some of the venues
    "gansta Boys in the Hood like movies"

Ok then.

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    No one claimed it did. Star is a newer theater, built on the fringes of Southfield.

But Southfield movie theaters in the 80's and 90's had metal detectors and pat downs. There were two along Greenfield that were closed following incidents of violence.

And Star, BTW, has had shootings. I don't think they're a weekly occurrence or anything, but they've happened.

If the Ilitches are serious about creating a world class entertainment district in the DISTRICT DETROIT, the family should work with Mr. Glantz and Big Sean to locate this new 10- to 12-screen theater in the District Detroit. There is plenty of vacant land and surface parking lots to plop down movie theater. How about at the southwest corner of Cass and Temple [[huge surface parking lot there) or some of the vacant land/parking lot just north of the Masonic Temple.
    Last edited by masterblaster; March-01-18 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    If the Ilitches are serious about creating a world class entertainment district in the DISTRICT DETROIT, the family should work with Mr. Glantz and Big Sean to locate this new 10- to 12-screen theater in the District Detroit. There is plenty of vacant land and surface parking lots to plop down movie theater. How about at the southwest corner of Cass and Temple [[huge surface parking lot there) or some of the vacant land/parking lot just north of the Masonic Temple.
    Ideally it could go at the Adams Theater site, using the façade. There's also lots of space a little further along at Adams and Clifford. Ilitch might surrender the land a little cheaper if he thinks he can rent the surface parking around there on non-game nights.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post

Will movie goers be interfering with coliseum events? Then no-way is this going to happen.

Behind the Fox Theater where all those surface parking lots will be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Will movie goers be interfering with coliseum events? Then no-way is this going to happen.
    LCA visitors affect at least a 1 mile radius in regard to traffic. If that’s what you meant, then half of DT and all of Midtown is out.

How about that empty lot across from LCA?

The Southwest corner of Monroe and Randolph would had been a perfect spot it bordering Greektown and Campus Martius but Gilbert has gotten that wrapped up. I would say Midtown somewhere in Woodward near Mack

Why? Bedbugs?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I would only feel unsafe if they have upholstered seats.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-02-18 at 10:54 AM.

If I have to fight the sports crowd to see a movie I'll be waiting for it to stream on Netflix or Ammy Prime!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

I would be VERY surprised if they build anything downtown unless they built their own parking. LCA with 160 events a year, combined with congestion, would make getting there too unpredictable. Something on the periphery of the 'green zone' makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Why? Bedbugs?
    Exactly. Just google bed bugs and movie theaters. It's everywhere. Magic Johnson Theaters removed upholstery from many of their theaters.

^^^^ Yeah, I figured that as I'd heard accounts of such. Bedbugs are a hard friggin' time, and VERY expensive to remove once you get them. Just another reason for me to stay away from theaters.

I can wait to see any film at home.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-02-18 at 10:55 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2