Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Freedom of the press dictates that the state may spend money to print everything in multiple languages if it chooses but it doesn't have to and judges who want to legislate such requirements will have a harder time of it. Also, this bill attempts to make a stand and is an obstacle against the expanding encroachment of bi-lingual requirements.
    Don't hurt your back moving those goal posts. How is this bill going to "save money" again? Because that's what you said it would do. Your words. Given that there is NO rule, law, or regulation in place that forces public bodies to do this, I can only conclude that those public bodies that currently provide multi-lingual services do so entirely by choice. And since this law does not change that status quo, I conclude that it will save approximately zero dollars. I can accurately say though that it has COST taxpayer money, since the staffers who took time to write this legislation are paid by the taxpayer, the legislators who took time to introduce, debate, and push this bill through are paid by the taxpayers, all the resources used to produce it are paid for by taxpayers, etc.

Net savings to the Michigan taxpayer: -X dollars.
    Last edited by aj3647; March-13-18 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    My issue with it is that this legislation consumed time and resources of the Michigan legislature [[i.e. taxpayer dollars). If it does nothing, then why waste time and money on it?
    The bill potentially heads off future bi-lingual requirements. Its why people buy insurance. Printing things in multiple languages does cost money and cuts government services elsewhere unless the government has more money to spend. Also, as previously mentioned, "judges who want to legislate such requirements will have a harder time of it. Also, this bill attempts to make a stand and is an obstacle against the expanding encroachment of bi-lingual requirements".

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    The bill potentially heads off future bi-lingual requirements. Its why people buy insurance. Printing things in multiple languages does cost money and cuts government services elsewhere unless the government has more money to spend. Also, as previously mentioned, "judges who want to legislate such requirements will have a harder time of it. Also, this bill attempts to make a stand and is an obstacle against the expanding encroachment of bi-lingual requirements".
    So your sole justification for this bill relies entirely on far-fetched hypothetical "what if" scenarios? Gotcha. Like I said "solution in search of a problem."

You know what else is a waste of taxpayer dollars? Passing pointless bills that won't even become law anyways. There's no indication that the Michigan Senate has any desire to take up this bill, nor that Snyder would sign it even if they did.

Just out of curiosity, are there any other problems that don't currently exist that you would like the Michigan Legislature to come up with solutions for? Perhaps a bill that orders municipalities to prepare emergency actions plans that address what to do in the event of a Canadian invasion? I mean, the Canadians COULD invade one day, you don't know. We should be prepared. Or perhaps a bill that deals with a potential zombie outbreak. It could happen.
    Last edited by aj3647; March-13-18 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    So your sole justification for this bill relies entirely on far-fetched hypothetical "what if" scenarios? Gotcha. Like I said "solution in search of a problem."

You know what else is a waste of taxpayer dollars? Passing pointless bills that won't even become law anyways. There's no indication that the Michigan Senate has any desire to take up this bill, nor that Snyder would sign it even if they did.

Just out of curiosity, are there any other problems that don't currently exist that you would like the Michigan Legislature to come up with solutions for? Perhaps a bill that orders municipalities to prepare emergency actions plans that address what to do in the event of a Canadian invasion? I mean, the Canadians COULD invade one day, you don't know. We should be prepared. Or perhaps a bill that deals with a potential zombie outbreak. It could happen.
    "What if" is why people buy insurance. Its why children are forced to wear bicycle helmets. Its why people get shots even though the flu has not yet arrived in Michigan. Considering "what ifs" is prudent behavior. Looking around and seeing problems California, the Mayor of Oakland's sedition or the decline of California's once good public schools for instance, is having should be cause enough to try to head off similar dilemmas.

Your Canada analogy is silly if for no other reason than Canada's Prime Minister has invited massive immigration to Canada. 20.6% of Canada's population is foreign born; the highest of any G-8 nation.

Shouldn't you be off peddling the cold war, the coup and Russiagate?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5