Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

read the book ..it addresses this right as fair,,,,[[individual property)... what is immorral is the fact that people are dying when wealthy nations exploit the resources of third world countries. What is immoral is the treatment of people when things as simple as netting to stop the spread of disease is substituted for sales of weapons...please cc read the book and see if it has some value for a hardened free market heart like yours...absolutism is not a sign of a creative mind and you really have a great mind..just entrenched in objectivity.

Back to the 'big monies" I would set up a domestic and international center for Social Justice and Peace...and then I would use my other investments to buy a retirement home in the Beautiful State of Michigan [[on a small lake) to retire-eventually... and yes set my children up so they can pursue their dreams and continue to help others...but a new Jeep would also be in order...

UFO Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    LOL... I was thinking the same thing gnome... but then Almont's Chinatown isn't worth buying a huge block of real estate so that the integrity of the Chinatown district won't be disturbed...

Is that Kung-Pao Troll I smell??

Its pretty obvious no matter the topic on this forum there will always be an asinine comment in one form or another.
    Last edited by UFO; August-27-09 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    read the book ..it addresses this right as fair,,,,[[individual property)... what is immorral is the fact that people are dying when wealthy nations exploit the resources of third world countries. What is immoral is the treatment of people when things as simple as netting to stop the spread of disease is substituted for sales of weapons...please cc read the book and see if it has some value for a hardened free market heart like yours...absolutism is not a sign of a creative mind and you really have a great mind..just entrenched in objectivity.
    Gibran, sounds like the story behind "Powaqqatsi" [[life in transition or a parasitic way of life).

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    "Common wealth" ? An immoral concept because it cannot coexist with the concept of individual [[property) rights being the most important value and component of liberty.
    Hey, I used to bank with the Bank of the Commonwealth, CC.

That said, being an old fart, I'd work my fanny off to distribute the sudden wealth to family and friends. Oh, and I'd sure send Lowell a nice healthy check as well.

Ravine Guest

UFO wrote:
    "Its pretty obvious no matter the topic on this forum there will always be an asinine comment in one form or another."

And that, my fellow DYers, is about as good of a one-sentence explanation, for why I don't come around here much anymore, as any.

It seems as though no thread, ever, stays on the point, or topic, which was brought up in the initial post. Always, the thread nose-dives into the pressing of irrelevant agenda and back-and-forth sniping.

And, don't bother me with blaming "trolls," or the "he/she did it first" excuse. [[The latter being particularly disgraceful, given that most of us would refuse to accept some bullshit like that from our children.) Whether the interference comes from a "troll" [[a term which, arguably, describes some of DY's most frequent & persistent posters) or not, all that is required to keep the thread on-point is the simple act of ignoring the interference. None of this "blocking" and "filtering" is necessary, either.

No other forum I have ever visited contains more childish, petulant behavior than this one, including the one which-- ironically-- is so frequently derided, here, as being juvenile.

Blarf Guest

If I won that much money, I would be dead within a few months from excess of everything imaginable.

ccbatson Guest

Common wealth, not commonwealth.

... sigh... Ravine... go check your private messages....

Common wealth is a conceptual book written by an Economist[[Sachs) who believes in the movement towards an economy that helps bring our focus on disparities so evident in our world [[social justice) and links ecology, science, sociology, education and other disciplines into a common market for changes..moving away from the academic silos that don't collectively work together [[objectivity) to address the needs of the evolving world qualitatively. Why do people fear this type of radical economics? Because it will help others ...

The book address environmental issues to our health as well as water management as a precursor to avoiding future conflicts [[like in the Gaza strip)..it ties how communities can grow into health despite years of neglect and war if resources and investment reflect the true value of people.. but written in terms that conservatives and economists would understand..folks there is monies in peace..so that 250 million could be invested into worthwhile projects as well as preserving a quality life style...

UFO Guest

Tonight at 11 pm all of my worries will be over with. Ill be able to catch up on my bills and proceed with my dream of philanthropic efforts to help eradicate homelessness .

Keep your negative comments to yourself. Your cynicism is neither warranted nor welcomed here thank you very much.

Well UFO... did you accomplish what you said you were going to do here [[as you posted you were going to do on that other website that cannot be named)?

That Chinatown scenario has to be one of the strangest ideas I've ever read on this forum... did the responses go as you expected?

Several of us were privately warned about you [[and another posters) intentions for trolling here... except Ravine didn't get the message.

You have the gall to say "Keep your negative comments to yourself. Your cynicism is neither warranted nor welcomed here thank you very much".... and yet you post on that other forum of negativity? Does the term "double standard" ring a bell?

UFO Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Well UFO... did you accomplish what you said you were going to do here [[as you posted you were going to do on that other website that cannot be named)?

That Chinatown scenario has to be one of the strangest ideas I've ever read on this forum... did the responses go as you expected?

Several of us were privately warned about you [[and another posters) intentions for trolling here... except Ravine didn't get the message.

You have the gall to say "Keep your negative comments to yourself. Your cynicism is neither warranted nor welcomed here thank you very much".... and yet you post on that other forum of negativity? Does the term "double standard" ring a bell?

What other website? I have no clue what the hell you are talking about.
    The only other forum I read is Craigslist.

What the hell is your problem with me and my dreams? Why is it that there are always people on forums that cause trouble to people who are trying to be sincere?

Maybe you should ignore my posts since you have been warned about me.
    Warned by who? I dont know anyone on this site.
    WTF is wrong with some of you here anyway?

$352 Milion???

FlyBy, would disappear into the abyss to become a discreet benefactor.
    Receiving funds is the easy part, keeping it is when the real work begins

Quote: "WTF is wrong with some of you here anyway?"

Oh man that is funny.

Ravine Guest

Actually, whether or not there is any monkey business afoot, my point was that I very strongly agree with the statement I specifically quoted.
    Anything else that may, or may not, be going on is beside that point.

Further, I see no sufficient cause for strongly implying that UFO is not being up-front & sincere, or that UFO is some kind of devious interloper, from some "other" forum, carrying out some type of malignant, conspiratorial attack.

If that is the "message" which I "didn't get," I'm glad that I was kept out of the loop.
    Last edited by Ravine; August-29-09 at 12:01 AM.

ccbatson Guest

Was the meaning of common wealth not clear in my posts on the subject?

Ravine, I wonder how you propose to "fix" the problems as you see them on Dyes? Isn't the whole point of a discussion and forum to freely express thoughts and opinions, whatever they may be? Wouldn't controlling or moulding the content defeat the purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    First of all...it would not be that amount after taxes. But if I was to win a large amount of money the following would be what I would do...

1. Call my attorney and an accountant do what is necessary to do 2 through 4 below with the
    least amount of tax liability
    2. Pay off our credit card accounts.
    3. Set up trust funds for our children and grandchildren
    4. Build the Georgia Street Community Collective's Market and Community Center
    5. Travel with hubby throughout the USA and see all the wonderful sights this country
    has to offer...starting with a return to Washington DC, where we had our honeymoon.
    6. Buy a nice condo on a lake, furnish it and get a pontoon boat
    7. Get new cars...made in the USA, of course
    8. Invest some, bank some.
    Blueidone,
    I also thought of GSCC when I read the thread title. How cool would it be to set up a fund to provide a college education for the children of the neighborhood. Kinda like the Kalamazoo model. Families would be clamoring to live there.
    It's nice to dream.

ccbatson Guest

Giving something like an education away for nothing is a bad idea for the recipients.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Giving something like an education away for nothing is a bad idea for the recipients.
    Please explain

I would deposit it in multiple FDIC-insured accounts and live off the interest.

ccbatson Guest

No need to bother...350 million conservatively getting 2% return comes to 7 million a year. Without touching the capital, that would result in a growing investment...unless the lifestyle is equal to, or greater than 7 million per year.

I would probably give most of it away. I most certainly would take care of my family [[two sons) first. Non profits like Georgia Street would get a big chunk. Displaced workers would get a ton too! I live rather well on very little income. Too much money would spoil my seriously simple life style.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2