Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Detroit City Council Cracks Down on Airbnbs

One of my neighbors runs an Airbnb from their home, and we have no complaints. You can't even tell that they have a rotation of overnight guests, as they sort of blend in with the revolving traffic of the neighborhood. And since they aren't renting out a number of rooms, they aren't using up a bunch of the dwindling residential parking our local commercial businesses seem entitled to use as their overflow. Although if several properties in the same area were doing this, I could see the potential problem.

It does seem rather sneaky on Councils part, the timing of this crackdown, with several new "boutique" hotels in the works that would be in direct competition with the hundreds of Airbnbs currently available. I don't have a problem with regulation, as I'd hate to see us go the route of so many cities that allow the use of housing that would normally go to long term renters or owners. But to tell someone who rents a single room out of their own property to paying guests overnight that they can't?

How do other Detroit residents feel about this? Have any of you had experience with Airbnbs living in other cities? Is there a bigger picture that we are missing here?

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...go-into-effect
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; February-12-18 at 05:54 PM.