Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I think it’s time for Matt Stafford to step up, carry this team on his back. Other teams are winning playoff games and Super Bowls with 2nd and 3rd string QB’s. Stafford can’t even win meaningful regular season games. He also happens to be, for now, the highest paid player in the history of the league. I think it’s cause for concern.
    Interesting. I see exactly the same thing but come to a opposite conclusion.

If the scheme is good, coaching is solid and the offense is balanced with a running attack that works then any serviceable NFL quarterback can be plugged in and succeed.

In other words, way to much emphasis has been placed on the QB in Detroit for a long time. Get the O-line and running game on track and we don’t need someone to put the whole offense on their shoulders and carry it. The chances of that happening are long odds in this league. Worse in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Interesting. I see exactly the same thing but come to a opposite conclusion.

If the scheme is good, coaching is solid and the offense is balanced with a running attack that works then any serviceable NFL quarterback can be plugged in and y
    In other words, way to much emphasis has been placed on the QB in Detroit for a long time. Get the O-line and running game on track and we don’t need someone to put the whole offense on their shoulders and carry it. The chances of that happening are long odds in this league. Worse in Detroit.
    I think there’s a lot of truth to what you wrote, yes they had no running game, yes their offensive line wasn’t up to snuff. Not sure why that was, they had a good coach, they supposedly have a good GM. It seems the running back situation should have been addressed in the draft or free agency. That being said, I expected a lot more from Matt Stafford.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I think there’s a lot of truth to what you wrote, yes they had no running game, yes their offensive line wasn’t up to snuff. Not sure why that was, they had a good coach, they supposedly have a good GM. It seems the running back situation should have been addressed in the draft or free agency. That being said, I expected a lot more from Matt Stafford.
    The running back situation hasn't been addressed, since one of the greatest ever retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The running back situation hasn't been addressed, since one of the greatest ever retired.
    They've come close a few times. Kevin Smith, Kevin Jones, James Stewart and Jahvid Best were all attempts that came close to working, and probably at least a couple of those guys would have 'fixed' the problem on most other teams, but worst-case-scenario always seems to play out for the Lions, and all of these players just couldn't stay healthy enough to be 'that guy'.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    They've come close a few times. Kevin Smith, Kevin Jones, James Stewart and Jahvid Best were all attempts that came close to working, and probably at least a couple of those guys would have 'fixed' the problem on most other teams, but worst-case-scenario always seems to play out for the Lions, and all of these players just couldn't stay healthy enough to be 'that guy'.
    For awhile there, I thought Kevin Jones would be that guy. He had one good season, rushed for over 1,000 yards, then he blew out a knee, got traded or released, never to be heard from again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Too bad the Lions don't have an embarrassment of riches to trade up into say the top 4 of the draft: Barkley, RB, Penn State. Has all the tools to be a great one in the NFL.

If I were the Browns' GM I'd go Barkley #1 overall and a QB at #4 [[I'm not sure that I know which is the best, second best and third best QB prospect. NFL scouts completely disagree).

The other big question, of course, is the OL. It sounds better on paper than it performed last year.