Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Are you referring to the block defined by E. Elizabeth and Witherell?

Anything next GVSU would have to be say 4 or 5 stories high.
    I am thinking the tower will be fronting Woodward and Elizabeth.

I looked into the company they are partnering with to potentially build this and they do "Live!" districts all over the country which combine chain retail and restaurants with a common spaces used for concerts and other things. I have a feeling that the tower will be on one block and the other block fronting Comerica will have one of these generic entertainment "things." It actually makes sense given all of the renderings and language they have been using for the district.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I am thinking the tower will be fronting Woodward and Elizabeth.

I looked into the company they are partnering with to potentially build this and they do "Live!" districts all over the country which combine chain retail and restaurants with a common spaces used for concerts and other things. I have a feeling that the tower will be on one block and the other block fronting Comerica will have one of these generic entertainment "things." It actually makes sense given all of the renderings and language they have been using for the district.
    Okay. Actually we are thinking the same. I was referring to what you posted.

It is the block of Woodward/E. Elizabeth/Witherell/E. Columbia.

IF it happens [[emphasis on IF), I like the 20 story high-rise concept if built in the correct location.

A bad location would be the wedge block south of Adams, next to Grand Circus Park [[site #1 on the illustration posted previously). I could see them doing it because then they would have 20 stories of apartments looking into the stadium, which would be easy to market. I hate the idea though because it would kill the skyline view from the ballpark, even worse than the Camden Yards Hilton did in Baltimore.

A great location would be on the block between Elizabeth and Columbia, or better yet on the south side of Elizabeth using the half block with Chelis & Central United Methodist Church.

Truthfully, I would love to see the block between Columbia and Montcalm remain open, ideally as a plaza, but even as a surface lot. I think leaving that block open provides a lot of great views, and as downtown rebounds, I think an effort has to be made to keep the great vistas in place. Obviously it would be great if development was built north of Montcalm and south of Columbia to surround this block, but a plaza there could be a really great addition to the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    A great location would be on the block between Elizabeth and Columbia, or better yet on the south side of Elizabeth using the half block with Chelis & Central United Methodist Church.
    I agree this would be a great slice of real estate to use. Here's the thing. The parking lot next to Cheli's is owned by the Stadium Authority.
    The lot behind Cheli's is owned by Central United Methodist Church and two parcels fronting Woodward are owned by Stadium Authority and the church.

The two large parking lots fronting Woodward in front of Comerica are owned by the Stadium Authority. The only lot Olympia owns is the one on Adams next to GVSU.

All information is from MakeLoveland.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    I agree this would be a great slice of real estate to use. Here's the thing. The parking lot next to Cheli's is owned by the Stadium Authority.
    The lot behind Cheli's is owned by Central United Methodist Church and two parcels fronting Woodward are owned by Stadium Authority and the church.

The two large parking lots fronting Woodward in front of Comerica are owned by the Stadium Authority. The only lot Olympia owns is the one on Adams next to GVSU.

All information is from MakeLoveland.com
    Anyone know how the Stadium Authority is set up? Does Olympia have options on SA land? Or is there any mechanism to allow them to lease the land to build?