Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

The plan was to move Machado to short for a season next year. I don't think they ever really believed he was the future but it doesn't look like even that is realistic. They may be able to resign Iglesias for less money after he declares as a free agent. I noticed Paredes is playing some 2nd base at Lakeland now. He figures to be too big to be the shortstop of the future and Dawel Lugo is another Ronny Rodriguez. He never takes a walk. I'm guessing Paredes is the future 2nd baseman and they need to find a shortstop that's not in the system right now.

I hear the ghost of Don Meredeth: "Turn out the lights, the party's over.....".

Remember this big hip-hop hit from the 90's?

Hell yeah !! That was a jam back in the day. Definitely pertains to the Tigers these days.

Anyone notice who's 3-2 with a 2.89 era and 1.11 whip after 10 starts with Atlanta? None other than Anibal Sanchez. Is any ex-Tiger not having a great year? Rick Porcello even had a 3 run triple off Max Scherzer last night. Glad we're only paying Anibal 5 million this year.

Ian Kinsler has a current BA of .215 at a mere $11-million, Justin Upton has a current BA of .256 & just making $16-million.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Ian Kinsler has a current BA of .215 at a mere $11-million, Justin Upton has a current BA of .256 & just making $16-million.
    Yeah, both are under performing in lieu of what they're being paid. J.D. Martinez OTOH, is having a outstanding season.

I don't know. Upton has 17 hr & 44 rbi's. I think the Angels are fine with a 34 homer, 88 rbi season.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I don't know. Upton has 17 hr & 44 rbi's. I think the Angels are fine with a 34 homer, 88 rbi season.
    Leonys Martin is currently at 9 HR's/29 RBI's & batting .257 for only $1.75 million.....[[only $14.25 million less)?

VMart: 1 for 12 in his last 3-games & hitting .236.....WAR -1.6 [[last on team).

Question why he is still on the daily roster.....?

VMart: 1 for 12 in his last 3-games & hitting .236.....WAR -1.6 [[last on team).

Question why he is still on the daily roster.....?
    It seems like Chris Ilitch feels some sort of obligation to let him play out the season because his father liked him but the worse the stats become the worse it looks on Martinez career record. I don't know if it's pride on Martinez part that he thinks he can still hit or shouldn't be a quitter or it's just greed that he won't take a buyout for a couple of million less. Other than it's embarrassing to have such a pathetic cleanup hitter, it clearly doesn't matter the way the whole lineup is hitting.

It seems like Chris Ilitch feels some sort of obligation to let him play out the season because his father liked him but the worse the stats become the worse it looks on Martinez career record. I don't know if it's pride on Martinez part that he thinks he can still hit or shouldn't be a quitter or it's just greed that he won't take a buyout for a couple of million less. Other than it's embarrassing to have such a pathetic cleanup hitter, it clearly doesn't matter the way the whole lineup is hitting.
    Agreed. Never would have dreamed Castellanos would be the Tigers best hitter.

Team is quickly sinking into the abyss after a promising start where they almost reached .500. This worse than I thought. Looks like 100 losses easy.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Team is quickly sinking into the abyss after a promising start where they almost reached .500. This worse than I thought. Looks like 100 losses easy.
    They're bad but they probably won't lose 100 for 2 reasons. Several of the trade bait guys - Liriano, Greene, etc. are playing just bad enough to not get traded and they still have 30 games left against the Sox, Twins & Royals.

They jumped on JV today, hit 4 HR's. Weird line for JV, he also struck out 12 in a loss. JV said he'd rather pitch vs the Tigers than the ASG, so I guess they took exception to that. !!

Personally, I hope they lose at least 100. They are still a long ways away from being a contending team, no matter what the record might have shown earlier in the year. They need high draft picks, and before I get ripped on for saying that, let me remind everyone that they have NO top hitting prospects in their system whatsoever. The guys that the local papers write about are 6-7-8 hitters at best on any contending teams. Teams that have experienced big turnaround lately, the Cubs, Astros, Braves, they all have brought up guys like Kris Bryant, Kyle Schwarber, George Springer, Robert Acuna, Ozzie Albies. The Tigers farm system has noone even close to that. You're going to need to develop hitting in order for them to return to contention, and a few draft spots can make a huge difference in what caliber of player they can get in the first couple rounds of the draft.

If we want to chat guys in the system, the top four prospects are pitchers - Perez, Manning, Faedo, Burrows. Plus add in recently drafted Casey Mize

The top hitter is OF Christin Stewart, 5th best prospect.

It's going to be at least 2-3 years before these guys are not only called up, but making an impact.

Think of 2021-2022 as their roster
    C: Jake Rogers
    1B: ????
    2B: Dawel Lugo
    SS: Isaac Paredes
    3B: Jeimer Candelario
    OF: Daz Cameron
    OF: Christin Stewart
    OF: Jake Robson
    P: Any of the above pitchers
    DH: Cabrera

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    If we want to chat guys in the system, the top four prospects are pitchers - Perez, Manning, Faedo, Burrows. Plus add in recently drafted Casey Mize

The top hitter is OF Christin Stewart, 5th best prospect.

It's going to be at least 2-3 years before these guys are not only called up, but making an impact.

Think of 2021-2022 as their roster
    C: Jake Rogers
    1B: ????
    2B: Dawel Lugo
    SS: Isaac Paredes
    3B: Jeimer Candelario
    OF: Daz Cameron
    OF: Christin Stewart
    OF: Jake Robson
    P: Any of the above pitchers
    DH: Cabrera
    The problem with that lineup is there are no impact players. You need at least 3 to be a contender. Stewart is batting .260 at Toledo and is poor defensively. If he is going to play left field then they have to either move Castellanos to 1st, which granted is not fair to him, or trade him now while his value is high. You can't have both of those guys in the outfield on any contending team, let alone at Comerica. Lugo is slow, average defensively, has little power and won't take a walk if his life depends on it. He's a utility guy at best. Paredes will be the 2nd baseman. I went to Erie last weekend. Daz Cameron looks legit. Solid defensively and hitting line drives everywhere. Rogers on the other hand has a huge uppercut swing and is striking out a ton. He's barely hitting .200. If he can't fix his swing, he's destined to be a defensive backup with some power.

The problem with that lineup is there are no impact players. You need at least 3 to be a contender. Stewart is batting .260 at Toledo and is poor defensively. If he is going to play left field then they have to either move Castellanos to 1st, which granted is not fair to him, or trade him now while his value is high. You can't have both of those guys in the outfield on any contending team, let alone at Comerica. Lugo is slow, average defensively, has little power and won't take a walk if his life depends on it. He's a utility guy at best. Paredes will be the 2nd baseman. I went to Erie last weekend. Daz Cameron looks legit. Solid defensively and hitting line drives everywhere. Rogers on the other hand has a huge uppercut swing and is striking out a ton. He's barely hitting .200. If he can't fix his swing, he's destined to be a defensive backup with some power.
    I disagree. I think the impact players are Stewart, Cameron and at least one or two of the pitchers. Of course this is all speculation on both our fronts so we could debate this until this actually happens or it doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    I disagree. I think the impact players are Stewart, Cameron and at least one or two of the pitchers. Of course this is all speculation on both our fronts so we could debate this until this actually happens or it doesn't happen.
    Impact players in baseball are 4-5 tool everyday players who hit, run & field. Stewart can hit with power and that's it. Cameron has a chance to be one and possibly Paredes but realistically there is no premier everyday talent in the system.
    Last edited by 401don; July-18-18 at 06:49 AM.

Paredes has been promoted to Erie and as predicted is playing 2nd base. He was only batting .259 at Lakeland but showing lots of power - 12 HR and 19 doubles.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...tro/871953002/

Tigers get a very solid SS prospect, more than I thought they would, for Martin. Martin was fun to watch and having a career reviving season until the hamstring injury, which he's still not over, derailed it. Meanwhile Castro has all the tools - some power, speed, soft hands and a strong arm. He's only 21 and playing AA. Big knock against him is he's erratic -25 errors this yr. already, so he's no Iglesias at the moment.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...tro/871953002/

Tigers get a very solid SS prospect, more than I thought they would, for Martin. Martin was fun to watch and having a career reviving season until the hamstring injury, which he's still not over, derailed it. Meanwhile Castro has all the tools - some power, speed, soft hands and a strong arm. He's only 21 and playing AA. Big knock against him is he's erratic -25 errors this yr. already, so he's no Iglesias at the moment.
    Was hopeful Iglesias would have to move his car today.....

Was hopeful for the same for Illitch.

I was too if only because the more guys they can move for prospects the better but any contender wanted more pop. He's having a career year for him but will be lucky to get his current salary in free agency. I'd like to see the Tigers resign him on a 1 or 2 yr. deal for about 5 million per. Any prospect is at least 2 years away.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast