Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I look forward to this season just for the change. No more same-old same-old, sliding-downward players punching the clock waiting for the season to end, other than Miggy and Vmart. Instead there will be a lot of springy young guys desperate to make it, crashing and diving for everything, being sensational one minute and gawd-awful the next.

They are entering the season with zero expectations and zero pressure. So we can only be pleased and never disappointed.

Was looking forward to attending Opening Day today but Mother Nature had other ideas.

Still, was amazed to see the amount of people that stayed to party downtown.

As for predictions, if they don't reach 100 losses, I'd say that's a successful season.

I am concerned about the pitching staff all the way from starters to the pen and closing this year. They struggled BIGLY last year, and there has not been a lot of changes, minus losing Verlander.

However I think this team will score some runs in new ways. Long gone will be the days of swinging for the fences on every pitch. The new manager is much more about progressive movement on the base path. It's not exactly "small ball" but efficient baseball.

Since they their year is already over. I am hoping that the current owners will sell the team and put us out of or misery.

How bad was the weather in the D between 1 - 4 yesterday?

Not comfortable, but playable? Rain, light enough to be annoying but not prevent play?

This is a 3-game series being played over 4 days and only series between the teams in Detroit.

Weather could be dicey over the weekend.
    Last edited by emu steve; March-30-18 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    How bad was the weather in the D between 1 - 4 yesterday?

Not comfortable, but playable? Rain, light enough to be annoying but not prevent play?

This is a 3-game series being played over 4 days and only series between the teams in Detroit.

Weather could be dicey over the weekend.
    I was outside downtown all afternoon. The rain really picked up after 2. I think it was the right call. This is what happens early in the season in Northern cities...this one just happened to be on opening day.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I was outside downtown all afternoon. The rain really picked up after 2. I think it was the right call. This is what happens early in the season in Northern cities...this one just happened to be on opening day.
    When I think of Detroit, March, etc. I think of "March Madness" and hockey, not baseball.

If I had my way, the MLB season would start [[around) April 9 and be 154 games long.

Any updates from regarding Miggy's ex-mistress support, child support, wife divorce filing, paternity suit?

Freep: The court filing notes that in April 2017 — when Cabrera's ex-mistress closed on a $1-million house that Cabrera helped her buy — Cabrera's wife filed for divorce.

Attachment 35424
    Last edited by Smirnoff; March-30-18 at 07:05 AM.

I like Rod Allen's comment that Gardenhire reminds him of Jim Leyland.

I have ALWAYS liked Gardenhire [[except when he was beating the Tigers years ago).

Ok fella's.....Tigers are currently 0-3 & in last place, will be a long-season for some, very.....any update on Miggy's $asset deposition & the messy $paternity suit, thanks.

Didn't post my thoughts yet because I just returned from watching the Tigers in Lakeland. By the way, half of all the vacationers in the Tampa/St. Pete area seem to be from Mich. I had a conversation with every 3rd person I ran into as everyone wears their Tigers and Wolverine stuff.

This team will score some runs as long as Miggy stays healthy. Martinez is being absolutely killed by the shift since he pulls everything when hitting left-handed and they can basically throw him out in medium depth right field. The starters will be below avg. but okay. We basically have one ace and 5 no. 4 & 5 guys. The bullpen will continue to suck and may cost us 10 games. Why they think Verhagen can pitch is totally beyond me. I'm going to look forward to seeing how Candelario progresses and Stewart, who can really rake, will be up soon. The team could win 70 games but anyone who is having a good season will be moved at the deadline resulting in a dismal second half again.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Didn't post my thoughts yet because I just returned from watching the Tigers in Lakeland. By the way, half of all the vacationers in the Tampa/St. Pete area seem to be from Mich. I had a conversation with every 3rd person I ran into as everyone wears their Tigers and Wolverine stuff.

This team will score some runs as long as Miggy stays healthy. Martinez is being absolutely killed by the shift since he pulls everything when hitting left-handed and they can basically throw him out in medium depth right field. The starters will be below avg. but okay. We basically have one ace and 5 no. 4 & 5 guys. The bullpen will continue to suck and may cost us 10 games. Why they think Verhagen can pitch is totally beyond me. I'm going to look forward to seeing how Candelario progresses and Stewart, who can really rake, will be up soon. The team could win 70 games but anyone who is having a good season will be moved at the deadline resulting in a dismal second half again.
    Isn't it refreshing not watching Rondon throw the very same 4/seam fastball over & over......with opposing hitters slamming his 4/seam fastball over & over.....

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Isn't it refreshing not watching Rondon throw the very same 4/seam fastball over & over......with opposing hitters slamming his 4/seam fastball over & over.....
    For a while it looked like Jimenez might be the same but he seems to be in shape and pitching well now. Bad teams always lose a lot of close games [[just look at the Wings) but the Tigers have already lost the opener, which was a tossup, two 1-0 games and another by 2 runs. At least they're in every game.

It wouldn't hurt if they got another breakout year from Castellanos either. He could be the 3rd wheel in the offense, provided that Miggy and V-Mart have bounce back seasons.

Nice comeback win in the miserable cold yesterday, spoiling Sox opener, but man Zimmerman is awful. Can't get his slider over and his 91 mile per hour fastball is right down the middle every time he gets behind.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Nice comeback win in the miserable cold yesterday, spoiling Sox opener, but man Zimmerman is awful. Can't get his slider over and his 91 mile per hour fastball is right down the middle every time he gets behind.
    Zimmermann has sucked ever since he signed here. Most pitchers bounce back after TJ surgery, he hasn't.

Brutal, not watchable, boring. I know the season just started and this was expected but this is horrid. Reality is biting early.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Brutal, not watchable, boring. I know the season just started and this was expected but this is horrid. Reality is biting early.

It's going to be a long painful season I'm afraid..... Tigers are going to be on the wrong end of plenty of 13-3, 11-1 scores.

Lot of bad teams which can't score runs this season... As the bottom feeders are proliferating...

Going to be dreadful for a lot of teams.

BTW, I believe is hard salary caps [[ceilings) and base. It makes no sense for one team to have 200M aggregate salaries and another team say 75M.

The low salary teams make money because of the big MLB-wide television contracts which they share in and minimize expenses.
    Last edited by emu steve; April-13-18 at 05:56 AM.

It's only 34 AB's but Lugo is hitting .350 in Toledo. Unfortunately Iglesias is not hitting anything so it doesn't look like the Tigers will get anything for him at the break.

NYY are coming to town and interest would normally be 'through the roof' but this year it is 'like watching grass grow' [[interesting this year because of the late spring).

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    NYY are coming to town and interest would normally be 'through the roof' but this year it is 'like watching grass grow' [[interesting this year because of the late spring).

The powerhouse Yankees are struggling as well, with injuries and strikeouts [[Stanton mainly). It's early though, and the unseasonably cold weather probably has a lot to do with it.

Great game last night. A 3 hit shutout over Yu Darvish and the Cubs. Too bad Anibal is pitching for the Braves. Oh well, at least we're only paying him 5 million this year.
    Last edited by 401don; April-14-18 at 07:24 AM.

SB Nation [[March '18): Cabrera came into the new season seeking resurgence and redemption. He reported to the Tigers’ camp in Lakeland at full health and things are off to a good start.

DNews [[today): 10-day DL, This is the third injury the 35-year-old Cabrera has dealt with this season — and he’s played 26 games.

Next.....oh, any update on the paternity suit, just askin?

The more the roster changes the more things stay the same. Had the Tigers kept their "stars" they would have 3-4 more wins but the bullpen would continue to waste almost every good start. It would also be nice to get a guy in from 3rd with less than 2 outs once in a while.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast