Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
Had already been volunteering at St. Leo's on Grand River. Found certain things all too suspicious about it and found the manager unsavory....that and more than 3/4ths of the donations I was bringing [[many acquired from neighbors and estate/garage sale close-outs) were immediately being snagged up by volunteers with addresses before the clientele we serviced [[many without addresses) had a fair chance at them.

I had made many calls around 2006, and I remembered All Saints ran a pantry and community kitchen that suffered a fire around the time St. Leo's suffered an inside theft [[around Superbowl time, when police were harassing the homeless). Many other places didn't need donations or ran an operation where I couldn't just immediately put them out and folks could have at them easily.

Sister Aileen and Pat were cool, and I met exiles from St. Leo's who confirmed things we all witnessed with St. Leo's.[[which I now trust is under better management). If it meant be getting dropped off in the morning by a family member [[I was going through a stubborn anti-car bike phase for ten years-long before Detroit became "bike friendly".) and taking two buses and some walking on the way back, so be it.

Always found Catholic Charities at the top in all my travels.

Ok, Thanx, G-DDT, I thought maybe you lived in that area before the crime forced most people to move. I think it's great you decided to make a charitable contribution back to the area.