Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    I spent some time fervently searching the interwebs for pictures and layouts of the original internal design of the Ren Cen. I did find one site [[https://www.bluffton.edu/homepages/f...n/rencen2.html) which provided the most pictures. Seems to be not very well documented. That said, I believe that the greater portion of renovation and redesign was performed in 2005/08[[?) when GM purchased and moved into the building. Those connecting spiral staircases have been removed. I can somewhat agree that the Ren Cen was much more confusing back then, than it is now.

Side question: What were the exterior layered structures on the water side? They staggered back, but I cannot find any info on what exactly they were.

The nostalgia is strong in me this week.

The Pods or seating area's in a couple of those photos were one flight down from the "main entrance" floor. There were several restaurants on that floor that served in those pods. I'm not sure what exterior layered structures you are talking about.

I found this video and was curious as to what building was bulldozed to build the RenCen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU0NPAhlXMI

Robin Hood Flour... plant and silos.....

https://reuther.wayne.edu/node/4402

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
    Thanks for the info. The tarps are down and it looks like it will open any day now. They are moving the cars into position.

It's definitely cool, but not substantially different from what they had before. I think a lot of people will just think that they installed the screens and changed the flooring.
    I was hoping they would have some older models mixed in with the new but then, sitting along side a bunch of suv's, it would just remind you how boring today's vehicles are.

I just had lunch in the Ren Cen. It looks like GM is pushing Chevy and GMC trucks for the auto show this year. In addition to the sign at the front of the building, the rotating display at the center of GM World [[is it still called that anymore?) is old and new GM trucks.

Overall I think the renovation modernizes what was there before. It's not a major change in overall appearance, but it is clean and bright. I don't know if it will draw people just to look at the cars, but it is attractive to people passing through.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

Gotcha. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

Those buildings were a real bitch to tear down too. I remember watching the demolition crews hack away at them for weeks, particularly the silos with their very thick walls. It took them longer than planned to finally get those things down, and all the rubble cleared away. Everything on the east side of downtown had a light layer of flour dust on it.

I worked in the Ren-Cen for a couple of years in the 80's at both Waldenbooks & The Coffee Beanery, and I got lost all the time!!! Good thing both of them were near the Jefferson entrance. As a previous poster said, maybe some people are not wired to navigate it? Add me to that bunch!

Name:  rencenint3.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  202.1 KB
    1977, not my photo.
    Name:  DSC02547.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  70.9 KB
    This is a photo I took in 2004.
    Name:  PC0Ej7xkSvS0k9jwqq74sQ.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  82.7 KB
    This is a photo I took today. I tried to line it up with the 1977 one but it didn't work out the way I wanted.
    Last edited by MrChrome; January-12-18 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
    Name:  rencenint3.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  202.1 KB
    1977, not my photo.
    Name:  DSC02547.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  70.9 KB
    This is a photo I took in 2004.
    Name:  PC0Ej7xkSvS0k9jwqq74sQ.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  82.7 KB
    This is a photo I took today. I tried to line it up with the 1977 one but it didn't work out the way I wanted.
    I do see a difference between both photo's. My first reaction is I like the 1977 version.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I do see a difference between both photo's. My first reaction is I like the 1977 version.
    They removed the plant holders for sure. I was wondering why there was an exposed/protruding I-beam on every column, and that answers my question. They apparently put cover plates [[maybe with security cameras in them) over those I-beam blemishes. And the lounging pods are enclosed by stainless railings now, which doesn't break up the sight lines as much.

Also, the white terrazzo floor certainly brightens the place up.

Double post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2