Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Which is part of a national trend of declining internal mobility. As has been noted in many studies, fewer people in the U.S. are moving from place to place now than in previous decades. A trend that seems to have been consistent since at least the early 2000s. The reasons for this are unclear though and seem to be a matter of some significant debate.

Michigan's continuing population loss had been a bit of an outlier in this trend, but it now looks like we've joined the club.
    I would think it would be a combination of younger people living at home longer, i.e. into their 30's in some cases, and the aging of the population. Not only are there more retirees but recent ones don't have the company pensions that allow for moving to the sunbelt.

Eight states had population losses. Illinois had catastrophic population losses.

The reason Michigan is doing [[comparatively) well is the auto industry. As soon as record profits are a memory, the population will stagnate or dip, once again.

Ohio is also doing quite well. Ohio is the #2 auto state. Not a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Eight states had population losses. Illinois had catastrophic population losses.

The reason Michigan is doing [[comparatively) well is the auto industry. As soon as record profits are a memory, the population will stagnate or dip, once again.

Ohio is also doing quite well. Ohio is the #2 auto state. Not a coincidence.
    While I'm sure the auto industry is the biggest factor, I think that we should be looking at other factors that are contributing.

Both Michigan and Ohio are relatively well managed. I don't know about Ohio cities, but Detroit has most obviously moved from poorly managed up to really good.

What's up with Illinois? Is it urban or rural decline? I thought Chicago was the job magnet eating Detroit's lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    What's up with Illinois? Is it urban or rural decline? I thought Chicago was the job magnet eating Detroit's lunch.
    Chicago is understood to be stagnant or declining by much of the country outside of the Midwest. I only hear praise of it by midwesterners...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Chicago is understood to be stagnant or declining by much of the country outside of the Midwest. I only hear praise of it by midwesterners...
    Chicago might be experiencing some issues with the pensions, but they are continuing to throw up skyscraper after skyscraper after skyscraper. McDonald's is leaving the suburbs for the city. The population loss is in the city is primarily due to black sheeple leaving for the suburbs, Atlanta, Phoenix, North Carolina and Texas.

I'm expecting 10 million people.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I'm expecting 10 million people.

If I were you, I'd start cooking and cleaning house!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I would think it would be a combination of younger people living at home longer, i.e. into their 30's in some cases, and the aging of the population. Not only are there more retirees but recent ones don't have the company pensions that allow for moving to the sunbelt.
    This, and some people don't have the money saved, to make a big move across country, but they'd like to, to get away from winter, especially for health reasons. Moving is very expensive. So they stay put.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-22-17 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    This, and some people don't have the money saved, to make a big move across country, but they'd like to, to get away from winter, especially for health reasons. Moving is very expensive. So they stay put.
    Rents are cheap in Michigan & Detroit.