Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The Waldorf isn't being renovated because it wasn't doing well. It was purchased by a Chinese outfit for $2 billion, and they want to carve out some condos in the property, but it will remain a hotel.
    With fewer hotel rooms because it wasn't performing well financially.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    With fewer hotel rooms because it wasn't performing well financially.
    Hotels are no different than retailers or automobiles in that collective consumer tastes & trends change--and the cycle seems to move ever faster with increased technology. Smaller, more intimate hotels, Airbnb, and minimal service, transient oriented apartment-like offerings are making substantial inroads into the traditional, full service hotel business model.

The Waldorf [[certainly before the refurbishment, at least) was on its way to becoming a dinosaur: garishly ornate, not particularly well-maintained, and appealing to an aging, shrinking market. Granted, in Manhattan, sheer demand will fill just about any hotel--but at a profitable rate? The name of the game in the hotel business [[especially with high-end properties) is Average Daily Rate and word-of-mouth reputation as much as it is occupancy. Unless a hotel is marketing toward stripped-down basics for a budget price, that raises the more complex question as to what amenities, decor, and location customers are willing to pay a premuim for.

The Waldorf's Park Avenue address is prime, but I'm not sure exactly how many young, wealthy tech-savvy customers are all that interested in gold-gilt, overstuffed purple couches and filet mignon. Historical & vintage properties have a niche, but given the wear & tear a hotel bears on a daily basis, it's difficult [[and mighty expensive) to maintain a property true to its original vibe.
    Last edited by Onthe405; February-14-18 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    Hotels are no different than retailers or automobiles in that collective consumer tastes & trends change--and the cycle seems to move ever faster with increased technology. Smaller, more intimate hotels, Airbnb, and minimal service, transient oriented apartment-like offerings are making substantial inroads into the traditional, full service hotel business model.

The Waldorf [[certainly before the refurbishment, at least) was on its way to becoming a dinosaur: garishly ornate, not particularly well-maintained, and appealing to an aging, shrinking market. Granted, in Manhattan, sheer demand will fill just about any hotel--but at a profitable rate? The name of the game in the hotel business [[particualrly with high-end properties) is Average Daily Rate and word-of-mouth reputation as much as it is occupancy. Unless a hotel is marketing toward stripped-down basics for a budget price, that raises the more complex question as to what amenities, decor, and location customers are willing to pay a premuim for.

The Waldorf's Park Avenue address is prime, but I'm not sure exactly how many young, wealthy tech-savvy customers are all that interested in gold-gilt, overstuffed purple couches and filet mignon. Historical & vintage properties have a niche, but given the wear & tear a hotel bears on a daily basis, it's difficult [[and mighty expensive) to maintain a property true to its original vibe.
    TBH, I don't even think the address is really "prime" anymore. I would say "iconic" is the better way to describe it. New York's wealthy elite aren't concentrated in Midtown East/Upper East Side the way they used to be. The establishment and billionaires still prefer that area but the new-money millionaire tech scene is more of a downtown thing.

Before it closed, my colleagues would often stay there when traveling to NYC because it is close to our office and the room rates were comparable to mid-market brands in Manhattan. I have never seen a place like the Mandarin Oriental in range of our company's per diem. They must've been struggling...

Boutique hotel in the Standard Accident Insurance Co. Building next to the Masonic in Cass Park. I'm seriously not trying to make this about Ilitch, but what I am saying is he doesn't own it and it was recently bought. Plans already in motion.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...elopment-plans

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4