Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Screw Coleman's coin rollers. Just plain ugly, just like he was.

Besides, they have the same type of building in other cities. Atlanta and LA as I recall, maybe others, so it hardly says 'Detroit'.
    Mayor Young wasn't yet in office when the four original towers and hotel were started.

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    Mayor Young wasn't yet in office when the four original towers and hotel were started.
    For some people, everything is about Young.

As far as the original question, I think that it really depends upon what you mean by iconic. What people always depict as the icon of the city is, in fact, Ren Cen. But it isn't really a good choice, as it is basically an alien presence dropped onto the waterfront for no good reason.

I would say the Fisher Building would be the best choice, an excellent representative of Detroit's era of mass building, and aside from being a great building its isolation really makes it stand out. And I say that as an unabashed Book Tower fan.