Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

i suppose you could do this, but it would make the RenCen much less appealing for non-employees, and would probably harm existing restaurants and services. The Wintergarden might as well be locked down on weekends.

Also, you wouldn't gain that much office space. I doubt the RenCen has more than 150,000 square feet of retail, and they would be weird, noncontinuous office spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    i suppose you could do this, but it would make the RenCen much less appealing for non-employees, and would probably harm existing restaurants and services. The Wintergarden might as well be locked down on weekends.

Also, you wouldn't gain that much office space. I doubt the RenCen has more than 150,000 square feet of retail, and they would be weird, noncontinuous office spaces.
    According to WiKi the towers alone have 660,000 sq. ft. of retail. GM is using some of the space for non-retail now but I still think there is a lot available. I agree it would be noncontinuous which is why I thought it made sense for GM to use themselves, since they would have unique needs for smaller numbers of employees and could lease their own contiguous space out. They certainly need to come up with some use for the Wintergarden's upper floors. It's embarrassing how empty it is when so many visitors walk through it to the riverfront.