Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I just don't think it makes sense to build your team around two bigs in today's NBA which is geared to smaller lineups and 3 point shooting. If we're very lucky Griffin has 2-3 more years in his prime and stays injury free. Meanwhile there's not a dime to spend to improve at the other positions and no top draft pick to look forward to. Best hope is a couple of years of just making the playoffs and then a total bottoming out in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I just don't think it makes sense to build your team around two bigs in today's NBA which is geared to smaller lineups and 3 point shooting. If we're very lucky Griffin has 2-3 more years in his prime and stays injury free. Meanwhile there's not a dime to spend to improve at the other positions and no top draft pick to look forward to. Best hope is a couple of years of just making the playoffs and then a total bottoming out in 3 years.

You'd have to think another move is forthcoming. They don't have enough 3 pt shooting and shooting in general. SVG's poor drafting and trades is the result of this trade. He drafted Stanley Johnson and passed on Devin Booker. He drafted Luke Kennard and passed on Donovan Mitchell. Those two guys alone, would have helped this team with the shooting and athleticism needed in today's NBA.

This article sums up my thoughts and seems to be the consensus opinion ie. that the trade was a desperation 3 point attempt:

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2018/...-motown-misery
    Last edited by 401don; January-30-18 at 03:42 PM.

What a bizarre trade. Obviously Bradley with his expiring contract needed to be dumped. But trading away pieces of your future for an aging "star" whose star power has mostly lain in his potential to be better than his fragile body has allowed him to be, who has never carried a premier team at all and has always been dependent on a true star guard in his best years, and who has a skill set that is no longer at a premium in the NBA, just seems pretty short sighted and desperate.

It's as if they feel that being able to reach the 7 or 8 spot [[still pretty damn dubious) would vindicate this team, and is somehow a better alternative than continuing to actually build for a much better future. But throwing your team into salary cap hell, for an injury-prone player who is about to be in his 30s, and what is at best going to be a 2 or 3 year improvement to the lower half of the playoff bracket, seems like a move with a lot more potential disastrous downside than upside.

In reality Blake Griffin [[aside from his huge contract) is really the kind of a player that a seriously contending team, in need of specific skills and experience to fill out a roster spot right now, trades draft choices and expiring contracts for. Not the kind of player who is going to help a struggling mediocre team become anything like a serious contender in years to come, and thus not someone they should be trading any part of their future for.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-30-18 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    What a bizarre trade. Obviously Bradley with his expiring contract needed to be dumped. But trading away pieces of your future for an aging "star" whose star power has mostly lain in his potential to be better than his fragile body has allowed him to be, who has never carried a premier team at all and has always been dependent on a true star guard in his best years, and who has a skill set that is no longer at a premium in the NBA, just seems pretty short sighted and desperate.

It's as if they feel that being able to reach the 7 or 8 spot [[still pretty damn dubious) would vindicate this team, and is somehow a better alternative than continuing to actually build for a much better future. But throwing your team into salary cap hell, for an injury-prone player who is about to be in his 30s, and what is at best going to be a 2 or 3 year improvement to the lower half of the playoff bracket, seems like a move with a lot more potential disastrous downside than upside.

In reality Blake Griffin [[aside from his huge contract) is really the kind of a player that a seriously contending team, in need of specific skills and experience to fill out a roster spot right now, trades draft choices and expiring contracts for. Not the kind of player who is going to help a struggling mediocre team become anything like a serious contender in years to come, and thus not someone they should be trading any part of their future for.
    Exactly. It's like they traded for Rasheed Wallace. Made sense then but sure doesn't now.

This article sums up my thoughts and seems to be the consensus opinion ie. that the trade was a desperation 3 point attempt:

https://www.detroitbadboys.com/2018/...-motown-misery
    Thanks for posting the link, below is an excerpt pertaining to the dysfunctional behavior of SVG;

This trade is like reaching the five star wanted level in Grand Theft Auto. There’s no escaping for the Pistons. This franchise is going to eventually be wasted.

Make no mistake, as Tom “Tony Perkins” Gores alluded to in his tweet last night, this was a move to “win now.” But win what? The first round of the playoffs?

This was like Stan Van Gundy added a sunroof to my car and now wants to tell me it’s a convertible. Our team is only getting older while other small markets are looking to get younger. If this doesn’t work out, which has a higher likelihood of happening, the Pistons are now four years behind other franchises.
    Last edited by Smirnoff; January-30-18 at 06:38 PM.

Yikes. They turned what were essentially spare parts [[most, if not all of which would not re-sign here anyway) into a legit star in his prime and got trade exception space in the cap. People are acting like we gave away Kevin Durant for David Lee or something. PistonPowered needs to relax with their completely overblown hot takes to everything. The guy was averaging 19, 6 and 5 in limited minutes coming off his injury; and was playing even better before it [[without his star PG that he allegedly needs, for what it's worth). I'm not claiming the Pistons are title contenders or that this was the best trade ever, but the takes have been way over the top the other way.

EDIT: He's been averaging 21, 8 and 6 since returning.

Btw, big win tonight. Crazy how good Stanley is when he drives the lane and plays motivated defense.
    Last edited by EGrant; January-31-18 at 08:10 AM.

Exactly. It's like they traded for Rasheed Wallace. Made sense then but sure doesn't now.
    Sheed was the missing piece that put Detroit over the top, of a already stacked team. Sheed helped them to 6 straight ECF's, 2 NBA Finals and 1 title. Big difference. Even adding Blake, Detroit isn't no way a contender at this point, even in the weaker Eastern Conference.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-31-18 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Sheed was the missing piece that put Detroit over the top, of a already stacked team. Sheed helped them to 6 straight ECF's, 2 NBA Finals and 1 title. Big difference. Even adding Blake, Detroit isn't no way a contender at this point, even in the weaker Eastern Conference.
    Right. That's what I was saying.

Right. That's what I was saying.
    Oh, ok. misread you. We agree that they screwed up this time then.

I didn't see the Pistons going anywhere in its pre-trade configuration, so the shake up made sense. And, if this doesn't work out, shake it up again. Just sitting by and hoping some miracle will transform matters is not a solution.

I think Griffin + Andre will let the Pistons own the boards. They'll take a hit in their three point scoring but IMO that is a lazy game that doesn't win in the end. Drive into the paint and take it to the other team is more reliable. Then get back on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I didn't see the Pistons going anywhere in its pre-trade configuration, so the shake up made sense. And, if this doesn't work out, shake it up again. Just sitting by and hoping some miracle will transform matters is not a solution.

I think Griffin + Andre will let the Pistons own the boards. They'll take a hit in their three point scoring but IMO that is a lazy game that doesn't win in the end. Drive into the paint and take it to the other team is more reliable. Then get back on defense.
    Whether you like it or not, spreading the floor and shooting 3's is here to stay. Most teams play that way now, HS even college. Teams aren't walking the ball down the court and pounding it in the paint to the bigs for post ups while everybody stands around and watches. They are running the court, stressing ball movement and taking the best open look, before the defense gets set. Teams are looking for long, athletic wings that can handle the ball and shoot the 3, no regards to position anymore. The 3 pt shot is a better percentage shot than the mid range two. I like it and think it has opened the game up with more spacing for drive and kick opportunities. Golden State has won 2 titles that way, so it works, but they have outstanding shooters and athletes to make it work, and play great defense as well. The Pistons need knock down shooters around Drummond and Griffin. If they can find some, it can work.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; February-01-18 at 08:53 AM.

Thanks to advanced statistics, the NBA is moving towards exclusively taking layups and three-point shots. The data around efficiency is hard to ignore, and the best teams like the Warriors, Celtics and Rockets are proving this out. It just isn't worth taking mid-range jumpers anymore and there is tons of data to back that up.

Thankfully, Griffin has improved his three-point shot a lot this season. In fact, he's evolving his game to not depend so much on dunks and alley-oops, and focus more on shooting, rebounding and passing. It's why I'm optimistic about this trade; he's a smart guy who can and is currently evolving his game.

Big win tonight to start off Griffin's Pistons career. I am already seeing the potential.

Many people decry the trade, but I have no problem with it. SVG wanted a superstar, and he wasn't going to get it via free agency and the Pistons weren't bad enough to be able to find one in a draft. The only alternative left is a trade.

Bradley was walking at the end of the year, so looking into next year we basically gave up Tobais Harris and what will probably be a mid-first round pick. Yes, there were a couple of other pieces but likely bit parts. So looking into next year and not having Harris and a rookie that would likely not get minutes anyway in exchange for Harris, I'm just fine with that.

I think the upside is that it could push both Drummond and Johnson to be better players. The biggest thing holding Drummond back is that he's often lazy, taking stretches off. I honestly think the guy gets into early foul trouble on purpose sometimes, just to be get some rest. With having a player better than him on the floor to push him, maybe he'll do better. And Johnson, he needs a veteran that understands and can play off his game. A guy like Griffin can do that more so than guys like Drummond or Jackson who honestly have about the same level of experience as Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Many people decry the trade, but I have no problem with it. SVG wanted a superstar, and he wasn't going to get it via free agency and the Pistons weren't bad enough to be able to find one in a draft. The only alternative left is a trade.

Bradley was walking at the end of the year, so looking into next year we basically gave up Tobais Harris and what will probably be a mid-first round pick. Yes, there were a couple of other pieces but likely bit parts. So looking into next year and not having Harris and a rookie that would likely not get minutes anyway in exchange for Harris, I'm just fine with that.

I think the upside is that it could push both Drummond and Johnson to be better players. The biggest thing holding Drummond back is that he's often lazy, taking stretches off. I honestly think the guy gets into early foul trouble on purpose sometimes, just to be get some rest. With having a player better than him on the floor to push him, maybe he'll do better. And Johnson, he needs a veteran that understands and can play off his game. A guy like Griffin can do that more so than guys like Drummond or Jackson who honestly have about the same level of experience as Johnson.
    There's some very valid points there. I guess it will come down to how much he can stay healthy and can SVG find one or two shooters to complement him. I think even more than SVG, Gores needed a superstar. I'm pretty shocked at how bad Pistons attendance has been at LCA. In the dead of winter on a weekend when there's nothing else to do attendance has still been terrible. What little season ticket base was left obviously didn't follow them downtown. The empty sideline seats are embarrassing but attendance did perk up their last 2 games.
    Last edited by 401don; February-05-18 at 03:11 PM.

Pistons thrashed Portland last night. On a good 4 game roll, after that losing streak. Currently tied with Philly for the 8th seed. They get Brooklyn on Weds and the Clippers come in Friday, with Harris, Bradley and Boban returning and Blake gets to see his old team. That should be a fun game.

Pistons win 5th in a row. It now has a fitting winter name, the "Blake Effect".

Blake has been obviously great, but Drummond is playing out of his mind right now. His rebounding is historic.

Pistons trade Willie Reed to Chicago for Jameer Nelson. Don't get this one, I would have thought they had a need for backup bigs, and they just traded one. Nelson should help, he's a vet with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Pistons trade Willie Reed to Chicago for Jameer Nelson. Don't get this one, I would have thought they had a need for backup bigs, and they just traded one. Nelson should help, he's a vet with experience.
    I think this is a good deal. Nelson will definitely help and he's an expiring contract. Willie Reed may be a big but I didn't see him getting playing time.

Just shipped out the other big body they got in the Griffin trade. Bryce Johnson for James Ennis. Another good deal. More outside shooting.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...nis/110224076/

They are a little thin in the frontcourt, but SVG's rotation wasn't very deep anyway. Glad they got some shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    They are a little thin in the frontcourt, but SVG's rotation wasn't very deep anyway. Glad they got some shooting.
    They can always resign Reed. Bulls waived him as soon as they got him.

Good moves. Now that Blake is here they could dump that inside beef for outside ball handling and shooting. That Ennis looked good against us in the recent Memphis game. Reggie Jackson has to be itching to get back into the game.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast