Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

How about SVG firing himself.....“I'm not meeting with their announcing crew before the game, I'm not doing the in-game interview. I’m not going to participate in the thing.”

I saw the subject line for this thread and thought, "Its a shame to loose such a home run slugger from your lineup."

*lose

-----

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I saw the subject line for this thread and thought, "Its a shame to loose such a home run slugger from your lineup."
    Piston's Reggie Jackson, can only wish he had the "Juice" "Mr October" did....

Shouldn't expectations be winning the championship versus just making the last seed in the playoffs.....maybe the President will fire Coach or the Coach fire the President?
    Last edited by Smirnoff; January-10-18 at 09:39 AM.

Pistons realistically, are a .500 basketball team. They don't have that one, let alone 2 transcendent player's, that can take them to the next level. The trade deadline is less than a month away, maybe SVG swings a deal. They need something, because they are too inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Pistons realistically, are a .500 basketball team. They don't have that one, let alone 2 transcendent player's, that can take them to the next level. The trade deadline is less than a month away, maybe SVG swings a deal. They need something, because they are too inconsistent.
    As I said in another thread, they really need a small forward. At least it's a position that's a little easier to fill than point guard, center or power forward. Everyone wants to jump on Van Gundy but the NBA is 5-6 good teams and everybody else treading water. The fact that the Raptors, a solid but by no means great, team are 28-11 tells you how mediocre most of the league is. There's no easy way to build a contender. You can't sign a free agent unless you're in a warm weather, contending city and you can't draft a star unless you tank for 5 years and get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    As I said in another thread, they really need a small forward. At least it's a position that's a little easier to fill than point guard, center or power forward. Everyone wants to jump on Van Gundy but the NBA is 5-6 good teams and everybody else treading water. The fact that the Raptors, a solid but by no means great, team are 28-11 tells you how mediocre most of the league is. There's no easy way to build a contender. You can't sign a free agent unless you're in a warm weather, contending city and you can't draft a star unless you tank for 5 years and get lucky.
    That is the thing though, they never should have traded for Jackson when Jennings went down. Or signed him to that contract, they would probably have one of the better young players right now to go along with Drummond if they would have tanked the last 3 years.

I must say I am enjoying watching fill-in Dwight Buycks. He can shoot, defend and make assists and has fitted in as if he had been on the team all along. Between him and Ish the point guards are scoring 25-30 a game.

I think Reggie has the most talent but my main concern with him, and Drummond too, consistent intensity. You never know if they are going to go to work or take the day off--a luxury hungry guys and mature pros like Ish and Buycks don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I must say I am enjoying watching fill-in Dwight Buycks. He can shoot, defend and make assists and has fitted in as if he had been on the team all along. Between him and Ish the point guards are scoring 25-30 a game.

I think Reggie has the most talent but my main concern with him, and Drummond too, consistent intensity. You never know if they are going to go to work or take the day off--a luxury hungry guys and mature pros like Ish and Buycks don't have.

Pistons need to be prepared to lose Buycks, if they don't keep him. Some GM's have already said, they've been impressed with his play, and will pursue him, as he can be had on a value contract. He's the reason why Detroit hasn't looked to sign or trade for a PG until Jackson returns. As stated earlier, I'm not a Reggie Jackson fan, he's a ball stopper, that dribbles too much, takes questionable shots, and is inconsistent in his decision making. With that being said, I don't see another team taking on his deal, without attaching another bad deal. Another player they need to look at moving is Stanley Johnson. He has shown virtually no improvement on the offensive side of the ball, in his 3 seasons here. The guy literally cannot shoot, and that is paramount from the SF position.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Pistons need to be prepared to lose Buycks, if they don't keep him. Some GM's have already said, they've been impressed with his play, and will pursue him, as he can be had on a value contract. He's the reason why Detroit hasn't looked to sign or trade for a PG until Jackson returns. As stated earlier, I'm not a Reggie Jackson fan, he's a ball stopper, that dribbles too much, takes questionable shots, and is inconsistent in his decision making. With that being said, I don't see another team taking on his deal, without attaching another bad deal. Another player they need to look at moving is Stanley Johnson. He has shown virtually no improvement on the offensive side of the ball, in his 3 seasons here. The guy literally cannot shoot, and that is paramount from the SF position.
    I think Pistons would give Jackson away if they could unload the money but I agree they will likely have to take back an equally bad contract, which is required in the NBA. Not only can Johnson not shoot, but it's amazing how many times he gets to the rim and still clanks a layup.
    Drummond has made amazing progress in his offensive moves this year. They can have the ball in his hands at the top of the key and he can pass or even put the ball on the floor for a couple of dribbles. It shows he has really worked in the offseason. He destroyed Brooklyn but I agree with Lowell he needs to bring it every night.

Default Pistons/SVG

Well....it's been 3.5 seasons on his dime & they are not even breaking even [[135-151). With the Lions & Tigers making HC changes, anybody believe SVG will be the next to go.....?

They are 1.5 games out of the 4th seed in the East while being decimated with injuries. He inherited an absolute mess of a roster with some terrible contracts when he started. Not ready to give up yet.

When Reggie went down I thought it was important to make a big move if they wanted to stay in the hunt. I was wrong. Detroit is better with Reggie in the lineup, but Ish, Byucks, and crew handling the ball will get them through the next month in contention for home court as they have in the month since Jackson went out.

I'm all about win now. What do they have to do...are there fans to not show up if things don't work out?

Unlike Caldwell, whose teams underperformed with pretty decent talent, SVG's team has been overperforming with largely mediocre talent. Like EGrant said, the team that SVG inhereted a few years ago was abysmal. This team is much less abysmal, but still doesn't have anything like the parts it would take to challenge for a title, and that sure isn't SVG's fault.

It takes a long time, or exceptional luck, to build in the NBA, and after years of what seemed like aimless wandering it looks like the Pistons are finally on the right track. SVG is part of the reason why this team looks like a serious playoff contender right now, despite its missing pieces. I would sure rather stay the course with him now than to try to dip back into the NBA coaching pool in pursuit of some sort of illusory magic.

I am very nervous if Reggie is really hurt. They can't maintain their spot in the standings with Ish starting, as much as I like him.

One of the biggest critiques of SVG in my book is his drafting. They've missed on some fantastic players. Then again, hindsight is 20-20.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Unlike Caldwell, whose teams underperformed with pretty decent talent, SVG's team has been overperforming with largely mediocre talent. Like EGrant said, the team that SVG inhereted a few years ago was abysmal. This team is much less abysmal, but still doesn't have anything like the parts it would take to challenge for a title, and that sure isn't SVG's fault.

It takes a long time, or exceptional luck, to build in the NBA, and after years of what seemed like aimless wandering it looks like the Pistons are finally on the right track. SVG is part of the reason why this team looks like a serious playoff contender right now, despite its missing pieces. I would sure rather stay the course with him now than to try to dip back into the NBA coaching pool in pursuit of some sort of illusory magic.
    Not too sure about the serious playoff contender thing. I think that if they reach the playoffs and make it past the first round everybody will be delighted. After last season I don’t think expectations are higher then that.

so what kind of player[[s) does the team need to draft after the season is over? what free agents should be acquired?

After a 14-6 start, the Pistons are regressing. Injuries are a big part, I understand that, but they shouldn't be losing games in the manner they do. They came out great against the Wizards on a nationally televised game no less, built a 15 pt lead, then watch it whittle down to nothing, and were tied at 46 at the half. Then to give up 45 pts in the 3rd qtr is unacceptable. To their credit, they fought back to make a game of it, but still lost, 122-112. I don't know where this team will end up. Right now, they don't look like a playoff team. at 22-22.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    so what kind of player[[s) does the team need to draft after the season is over? what free agents should be acquired?
    They need a PG, and wings that can shoot. Too many times during the game, they go into lulls where they can't score. Stanley Johnson is horrible on offense. Ish Smith is doing yeoman's work at PG, but he's a backup that creates energy off the bench, he's not a starter. I'm not sold on Reggie Jackson, even when he comes back. Trade deadline is in a few weeks, I expect they will make a deal to shake this team up.

Players just not responding to SVG at all [[unmotivated defense), lost the last 4 games, 9th place, .500 record & sinking fast [[12-19 in the past 31).....

The team is loaded with role players, no go to guy. Hate to say it, but I think they’re lacking a superstar to carry this team. [[Wonder how Gores would get along with Lebron)

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    The team is loaded with role players, no go to guy. Hate to say it, but I think they’re lacking a superstar to carry this team. [[Wonder how Gores would get along with Lebron)
    LeBron will be too much drama and baggage. He's a great player, but no thanks.

Tanking the last 5 & now below .500, this is SVG's press response: "I don't know what's with us.....I don't understand".

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Tanking the last 5 & now below .500, this is SVG's press response: "I don't know what's with us.....I don't understand".

Right. They lost to the same team, they beat by 34 pts last week, but he doesn't understand. This is a roster that he comprised. Maybe he needs to give up being the GM, and just concentrate on coaching. Must be hard to walk, and chew gum at the same time.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-22-18 at 12:13 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast